Re: [lb/2003] Talk selection criteria

  • Dr Tarique Sani
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 16, 2003
      On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Atul Chitnis wrote:

      > On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Biju Chacko wrote:
      >
      > > This has some pros and cons. I think we should not exclude the 'amateur'
      > > style completely. The submission model will attract more professional
      > > talks but they will tend to be (IMHO) of more interest to the more
      > > experienced crowd.
      >
      > Catch 22 - do we want to do an event for the sake of doing it, or to
      > produce quality content? ;-)

      How do we assure everyone that some animals are not being treated more
      equal than others?

      Tarique

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 16, 2003
        On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Dr Tarique Sani wrote:

        > How do we assure everyone that some animals are not being treated more
        > equal than others?

        Simple - we trust the managers to be unbiased.

        Atul Chitnis | achitnis@...
        Bangalore, India | +91 (80) 344-0397
      • Kenneth Gonsalves
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 17, 2003
          some general observations that may help this discussion:

          1. the conference was a success in that it convinced all the participants
          about using open source products. but, it seemed the consensus that open
          source programming was for the other guys - the govt, infosys, microsoft etc
          etc should produce opensource stuff, but not ME boss!! for example, although
          i spoke on programming perl with the enduser as a partner, the two hottest
          topics in question period were - how to encrypt the perl code so no one can
          pirate it and which will give me a better job - perl or php.

          2. if the aim of the conference is to popularise the use of opensource to
          develop closed source apps, and this is what the majority of the delegates
          came to find out, obviously getting professionals to present papers would
          ensure a sellout crowd next year.

          3. if on the other hand the aim is to help build an opensource movement in
          india, efforts will have to be made to include amateurs, end-users, non-it
          part time programmers and the other riff raff who, as far as i know, are at
          the hub of the opensource movement worldwide.

          4. given the current intellectual climate in the country, this would be an
          uphill task with very few takers - but maybe it would be worth undertaking ...

          kg
          > OK all, enough fun and games, let's get back to work, shall we?
          >
          > This year, we are going to change the format of talk volunteering. INstead
          > of the informal "wanna give a talk, fill form", we are moving to the more
          > formal "paper submission" model.
          >
          > This means that we are going to evaluate proposed talks on on the basis of
          > the subject but on the basis of actual content. This means that speakers
          > who would like to speak at the event will have to submit not just their
          > slides, but a formal writeup containing their talk - the "paper".
        • Pradyumna Sampath
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 17, 2003

            --On Thursday 16 Jan 2003 1:43 pm, Atul Chitnis mumbled this:

            > In fact, it is precisely this point that is causing us to consider the
            > more pro-style approach. Informality is not excluded in any way, what we
            > are trying to weed out is talks by people who give talks for the sake of
            > giving talks - either to establish their own names ("was speaker at LB/x")
            > or to establish their organisation ("flood the place with speakers from
            > our org, never mind quality").

            I feel a small re-tuning of this whole process should do.Have a multi track
            approach, with good quality talks for the user,adm,cxo,dev,etc.. using a
            screening methodology be it paper presentations or otherwise.This way I think
            we'll be targetting the whole spectrum.

            > I think the confusion here lies in what you understand to be "pro-level"
            > and "amateur". The only thing we are actually doing is to eliminate the
            > stuff we don't want to see at the event - bad (or no) preparation, shallow
            > content, lack of context, redundancy, etc.

            Absolutely, lets focus on quality.

            --
            Visit me at http://prady.net
            Mail : prady at prady dot net
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 19, 2003
              In MYHO, this is a real good idea. This will also address the major
              crib I for one have had - Inability learn from other (not just by
              listening, which can get grazed by time).

              The structured talks (formal or otherwise), shall have the following
              advantages:

              (a) The speaker has laid out his thoughts and structured as to what
              to speak.

              (b) The target audience for the talk can be assessed by the
              organisers to accordingly slot the talk.

              (c) The talk slots are accutely in short supply and all those who
              would like to contribute do not get a chance.

              (d) All the papers can become part of the souvenier edition that can
              be preserved. I am not telling whether it should be in paper or CD.
              This shall have both the sentimental value and also be a continous
              reference source.

              Informal approach to talk does not mean not to write to paper, with
              some sense of purpose and objective. Informal talk can be a mode of
              presenting to the audience, depending on the style of the speaker.

              What we need to have is to get papers for the conference, select a sub
              set based on available slots and target audience for presentation,
              compile the whole lot to be made available for all the participants as
              part of the delegate kit. This would also satiasfy the "also spoke in
              LB/X" guy to say "also wrote for LB/X".

              Let us have method in madness, not madness in method. I feel what Mr
              Chitnis has proposed is the former - Bring some method to Madness, and
              I second the proposal whole heartedly,

              --- In linux-bangalore-2003@yahoogroups.com, Atul Chitnis

            • Sid Carter
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 29, 2003
                On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:50:42AM +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
                > On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Dr Tarique Sani wrote:
                >
                > > How do we assure everyone that some animals are not being treated more
                > > equal than others?
                >
                > Simple - we trust the managers to be unbiased.

                *Cough* yeah.....*Cough*, we should .....ummmm......try that ;)

                Regards
                Sid
                --
                DeVries's Dilemma:
                If you hit two keys on the typewriter, the one you don't want

                Sid Carter - http://khader.net/