Re: [lb/2002] Leasons Learnt

  • Ashwin N
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 27, 2002
      On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 11:51, myriadmydeas wrote:
      > I am sorry for the delay in posting this. These are some of the
      > leasons I learnt during the meet and wish to share with others, before
      > the issues are forgotten.

      [ ... ]

      Thanks!

      *Writing* it down was a great idea. For next time we have something to
      read and follow.

      ashwin
      --
      A s h w i n Was this helpful? Share your feedback:
      http://symonds.net/~ash/ http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=ashwin_n

      Money is a powerful aphrodisiac. But flowers work almost as well.
      -- Lazarus Long
    • Vikrant Aivalli
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
        Hi all,

        I attended all talks which were possible to attend, timewise and my great
        ability to be present in one place only at a time :-D i.e. the most
        interesting talk in *one* hall ( and miss the others :-( ) of the four.

        I heard the fastest, sorry, shortest talk by ( for the record ) Pradyumna
        Sampath and the longest by the "twin brother" of Mahendra ( they look almost
        like xerox copies :-D, please pardon because I don't know
        his name :-( ). He unfortunately *ran out of time* ( read : the hall marshal
        brandished an *open source weapon* i.e. a stick thrice !!! ), well he was
        talking on an important subject, that is Shell Scripting. He was at an
        important point and this incident about the hall marshal happend, the best
        part was he didn't know what to then and finally dwindled into .......

        <flame_bait>

        My suggestion is next time how about having one & half hours or even two hours
        ( this might be "three much" :-D ) but the matter is worth discussing here I
        guess.

        </flame_bait>

        The moot point is :

        less_num_of_talks==more_time_per_talk ==> more_depth_of_knowledge_or_talk

        <suggestion>

        I know that Atul wrote once

        <snip>
        No professional, non-professional, commercial or non-commercial event has
        *ever* had so much to offer. Period.

        Go. See. Gloat.
        </snip>

        Keeping with the above, my question is, how about an opinion poll about a
        month before the event and *then* selecting the talks on priority. Shouldn't
        we know what the community in more interested in.

        <examples>

        My talk was a *newbie* or *on the box now what next* talk indeed. These kind
        were chopped straight. Please take note that I am not writing this because my
        talk was removed, many other talks were removed which were also newbie. Now,
        who knows if anybody was *more interested* in a particular subject like this,
        but probably had to settle for something else ??

        I was interested in the talk by Atul on Palm(and related) on the tentative
        list. I wanted to attend it, but it was dropped. Wonder how many have got
        their handheld up and running. I did try one, but gave up *soon*(RTFM & STFW
        included). Now who knows if the talk would have cleared my doubts /
        understandings.

        Before you proceed a word of caution : These are MY FEELINGS / EXPERIENCES.

        </examples>

        At this point I suggest please read what Atul said *again*. You probably will
        get my point.

        After all we are a free community right. I guess poll will add to the freedom
        (which we love, don't we ?? :-) )
        </suggestion>

        I am writing this because we still heard a "I didn't learn much !!", in chaste
        English ;-) .

        Lets talk ( not flame ;-) )

        So before you *still* flame me (for this long post included ;-) ) I'd like to
        quote :

        > > One word of caution. This is purely my personal
        > >
        > > experience and
        > > opinion with no intentions to point fingers at
        > > others. OKAY, we did a
        > > good job this time. let's make it *Better* next
        > > year by noting our
        > > leassons.

        I agree and say the same (rock show included :-D ).

        With PetaBytes of Warm Regards,

        yours,

        nerdy / vikky / vikrant aivalli

        PS : It's the T-Shirt now, the lining of the sleeves is coming off already. I
        am yet to wash it BTW. Any more cases like mine ?? I now feel that the white
        color round neck shirts would have been better because, I have never seen
        that kind of thing with those. Also the logo need to be brighter and if
        possible larger, the black color of the Tee was the culprit I guess. I had
        people bend and read whats written on the printing ( Read : it did a stingy
        advertising, if at all it had to !!) Sponsors if you are reading this, my
        folks did ask me, what is that *HP Tee* about, where did you get it ?? :-D .
        Bottomline : The LB2K3 logo should have font size as big as the characters
        "hp". With a bigget Tux as well, if possible that is. I am sure we'll get
        more money next time ;-). At least now !!
      • Ashwin N
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2003
          On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 18:39, Vikrant Aivalli wrote:

          > I heard the fastest, sorry, shortest talk by ( for the record ) Pradyumna
          > Sampath and the longest by the "twin brother" of Mahendra ( they look almost
          > like xerox copies :-D, please pardon because I don't know
          > his name :-( ). He unfortunately *ran out of time* ( read : the hall marshal

          The "twin brother" of Mahendra is Kartik.

          > people bend and read whats written on the printing ( Read : it did a stingy
          > advertising, if at all it had to !!) Sponsors if you are reading this, my
          > folks did ask me, what is that *HP Tee* about, where did you get it ?? :-D .

          True, even mine is now a cool black HP tshirt.

          > Bottomline : The LB2K3 logo should have font size as big as the characters
          > "hp". With a bigget Tux as well, if possible that is. I am sure we'll get
          > more money next time ;-). At least now !!

          It was not about the money! It's just that the Linux/LB2002 logo/text
          should have been more prominent than the sponsor's print.

          We all learn :-)

          ashwin
          --
          A s h w i n Was this helpful? Share your feedback:
          http://symonds.net/~ash/ http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=ashwin_n

          We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out.
          -- Decca Recording Company, turning down the Beatles, 1962
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2003
            On 10 Jan 2003, Ashwin N wrote:

            > It was not about the money! It's just that the Linux/LB2002 logo/text
            > should have been more prominent than the sponsor's print.

            The lesson to be learnt here is that democracy has its place, and that a
            discussion about the design and colour of the T-Shirt is not one of those.
            ;-)

            The managers had decided on a white round-neck T-Shirt just like at IT.COM
            2000 - *this* group here decided on a black polo-neck shirt! The managers
            yielded to the public. Check the archives!

            The T-Shirt, in the end, cost us far more than we let on, because the only
            way we could get the conference logo clearly onto the black shirt with a
            rough texture was by using digital print. The cloth was decided the
            instant the group decided on a polo-neck shirt - you don'tget smooth-cloth
            polo-neck shirts.

            So if you are looking for someone to blame, you don't have to look far ;-)

            Next time, let's leave things like this to the managers!

            Atul Chitnis | achitnis@...
            Bangalore, India | +91 (80) 344-0397
          • Mahendra_M
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2003
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
                On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 11:34:37AM +0530, Mahendra_M wrote:
> [...]

                Mahendra,

                Correction. I never said anything *pink*. I hate *pink*, wherever, whenever,
                except where it should be ;). Do not change the facts.

                And someone kill this thread. It's over and nothing can be done now about what
                has already been done. Somethings never change.

                Thanks
                Regards
                Sid