Re: [foss.in] Re: The FOSS.IN series has ended, a new one has started

  • Danese Cooper
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 16, 2011
      Ditto

      On Oct 16, 2011, at 6:20 AM, "sriranggd_18" <sriranggd_18@...> wrote:

      > What does this mean to this foss.in Yahoo group? Will there be a move to a productise.in group?
      >
      > This is probably not super important (in the larger scheme of things) but I would like to keep myself updated about this FOSS.IN's successor.
      >
      > And definitely looking forward to PRODUCTISE.IN :)
      >
      > --- In foss-in@yahoogroups.com, "achitnis" <mail@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > As most of you know, we ended the FOSS.IN series of events with FOSS.IN/2010. Though a number of you have requested us to continue it, we had our reasons for bringing our 10 year old journey to an end. If you haven't yet done so, do read these blog entries for more information:
      > >
      > > * http://atulchitnis.net/2010/why-i-came-back/
      > > * http://atulchitnis.net/2011/looking-back/
      > >
      > > They will explain our rationale behind this decision.
      > >
      > > But that does not mean that our events have ended! Read these two entries as well:
      > >
      > > * http://atulchitnis.net/2011/technology-alone-is-not-enough/
      > > * http://atulchitnis.net/2011/the-successor-to-foss-in/
      > >
      > > Our new event, which we have started organising, is called PRODUCTISE.IN, and is on December 5-7 in Bangalore. Hop over to the web site (http://productise.in) and register your interest – more information will appear soon!
      > >
      > > To all the people who supported (or didn't!) FOSS.IN over all these years – many thanks for making it interesting for everyone, including us!
      > >
      > > See you all at PRODUCTISE.IN!

    • Mukesh Yadav
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 16, 2011
        +1 to srirangged

        --
        Regards
        Mukesh Yadav

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 18, 2011
          On 16/10/11 3:50 PM, sriranggd_18 wrote:
          > What does this mean to this foss.in Yahoo group? Will there be a move to a productise.in group?
          >
          > This is probably not super important (in the larger scheme of things) but I would like to keep myself updated about this FOSS.IN's successor.
          >
          > And definitely looking forward to PRODUCTISE.IN :)

          Good question :)

          Two ways we can do this:

          - We can rename this list

          - We can create a new list

          On a personal basis, I am against renaming this list. FOSS.IN was
          something big in all our lives, and I would very much like to keep this
          list's archives available to show its history, and under its own name.
          We will definitely have to disable posting here, though, to avoid total
          dilution of the archive value. 99% of messages coming in now, and being
          trapped, are spam or announcements of other events.

          Creating a new list... well, given the fact that mailing lists are
          seriously on the decline, and other forms of communication have taken
          over, I dont think a discussion mailing list makes much sense.

          We are basically on Twitter (@productise), but others use Facebook and
          Google+ as well. We have a Facebook page
          (http://facebook.com/productise.in) that you could go and like/follow.
          We are not so sure about Google+ (there is no API yet that lets us
          crosspost).

          Also, the continued existence of Yahoo itself as a viable messaging
          medium is a factor here.

          For now, I recommend that people follow @productise on Twitter, or
          follow http://facebook.com/productise.in.

          We will probably set up an announcement-only mailing list soon for those
          who want email notifications. If you want to get onto that, go register
          yourself at http://productise.in right now - it will be an EXTREMELY
          low-volume, announcements/heads-up only kind if list.

          But for discussions/flamewars/comments/suggestions, head to twitter! :)