Re: [foss.in] Proceedings FOSS.IN

  • Aanjhan R
    Message 1 of 40 , Sep 23, 2009
      On 9/23/09, Shreyas Srinivasan <sshreyas@...> wrote:
      > Even the most simple paper takes weeks to put together, I agree with
      > Philip. I think its too much work (All 3 of us have done this at OLS,
      > so i think we are in a small way qualified to comment) I think some
      > sort of publication at the end of a workout might be interesting,
      > there are more people involved and people can describe the problem and
      > the reached conclusion and enumerate it so things get documented.

      You hit the nail on the head Shreyas. WE just avoid documenting ,
      writing stuff because it takes time and *most* Free Software / Hacker
      projects lack documentation / white papers. By doing something like
      this, we break those shackles? Yes, I know the frustrations, the time
      consuming quantitative work of pulling data sets and making graphs,
      writing every sentence such that it makes sense ;) . Been through it,
      will be going through it for few years to come. Sometimes I end up
      just searching on the forums to do some formatting with tex for more
      than 6 hrs. Sick. But when someone refers to your work and thanks you
      for the white paper, believe me the project has got more potential to
      grow (than the usual I *dont* need documentation. All your source is
      mine folks). More people interested, the better ideas you get.

      My two cents.

      Regards,
      Aanjhan
    • Vignesh Kumar
      Message 40 of 40 , Sep 25, 2009
        Wow,
        Nice to see Harald Welte scrutinizing the papers.

        > Philip Tellis wrote:
        >> 2009/9/23 Atul Chitnis <mail@...>
        >>
        >>> Is it really worth this much deliberation? :)
        >>
        >> This is India. Did you really expect people to spend time hacking
        >> when they could have been yacking instead?
        >
        > ROTFL!
        >
        > Everyone, enough discussion. Spend time getting your event submissions
        > (talks, tutorials, workouts, workshops, BoFs, etc.) ready instead.
        > Papers are a good idea for those who can afford the time to write them,
        > and they lend prestige to the event.
        >
        > And those of you submitting papers - now you BETTER put your money where
        > your mouth is - I am going to ask Harald Welte to scrutinize them ;)
        >
        > Atul

        B.Vignesh Kumar
        HCL Technologies,
        Member Technical Staff,