Input needed: FOSS.IN/2009 Dates

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
      All:

      We are about to fix the FOSS.IN/2009 dates, and this time we would like to
      get some early inputs from people about convenient dates.

      This is specifically targetted at students in engineering colleges -
      please move heaven and earth, and try and find out which set of dates
      works best for you vis-a-vis exams:

      December 2009
      Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
      1 2 3 4 5
      6 7 8 9 10 11 12
      13 14 15 16 17 18 19
      20 21 22 23 24 25 26
      27 28 29 30 31

      Option 1: December 1-5

      Option 2: December 8-12

      Option 3: December 15-19

      Any people outside India reading this who will want to come to India to
      participate in FOSS.IN/2009 - you have a say as well. Please let us know
      which dates are convenient for you.

      Everyone - check your event calendars, your exam calendars, call the VC of
      your university, tell him that you dont want to miss FOSS.IN (again), and
      whether he would help set up non-clashing exam dates, etc.

      Spread this message far and wide, on mailing lists, notice boards, blogs,
      twitter, etc. and make sure that as many people as possible can get to see
      it.

      If you don't want to reply to this list, contact us via
      http://foss.in/contact

      Thanks in advance for your quick replies!

      --
      Atul Chitnis
      Project Lead
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
        Thanks for looking past US Thanksgiving...I would love to come to India in
        any of those weeks of December.

        Danese

        On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Atul Chitnis <mail@...> wrote:

        > All:
        >
        > We are about to fix the FOSS.IN/2009 dates, and this time we would like to
        >
        > get some early inputs from people about convenient dates.
        >
        > This is specifically targetted at students in engineering colleges -
        > please move heaven and earth, and try and find out which set of dates
        > works best for you vis-a-vis exams:
        >
        > December 2009
        > Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
        > 1 2 3 4 5
        > 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
        > 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
        > 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
        > 27 28 29 30 31
        >
        > Option 1: December 1-5
        >
        > Option 2: December 8-12
        >
        > Option 3: December 15-19
        >
        > Any people outside India reading this who will want to come to India to
        > participate in FOSS.IN/2009 - you have a say as well. Please let us know
        > which dates are convenient for you.
        >
        > Everyone - check your event calendars, your exam calendars, call the VC of
        > your university, tell him that you dont want to miss FOSS.IN (again), and
        > whether he would help set up non-clashing exam dates, etc.
        >
        > Spread this message far and wide, on mailing lists, notice boards, blogs,
        > twitter, etc. and make sure that as many people as possible can get to see
        > it.
        >
        > If you don't want to reply to this list, contact us via
        > http://foss.in/contact
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your quick replies!
        >
        > --
        > Atul Chitnis
        > Project Lead
        > FOSS.IN
        > http://foss.in

      • Gaurav Chaudhary
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
          Thanks for considering this issue. i have been waiting for last two years to attend foss.in but alas every time my university exam pops in. My vote goes to dec 1-5 because after that exams start. However december is not healthy month but i can manage that for foss.in

          Thanks

          Gaurav

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
            Hi Atul

            > Option 1: December 1-5
            >
            > Option 2: December 8-12
            >
            > Option 3: December 15-19

            At least for IIT Madras, the semester ends by December 5th "worst
            case". An ideal date, thus, would be 8 - 12th for us.

            Unfortunately, our Academic Calendar for the odd semester will be
            available only much later. But we should be done with our semester by
            8th.

            HTH

            Regards
            Akarsh
          • Akarsh Simha
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
              I have a dumb question - why doesn't FOSS.IN happen on weekends as
              well - say Wednesday thru Sunday? That way, no matter what, students
              can participate at least in 2 of 5 days.

              For instance, if the KDE PoTD was on Saturday, I could've made it -
              and my friend Arun would've made it to work with the GNOME folks.

              And yes, thanks a lot for considering this issue and keeping us
              students in priority :-)

              Regards
              Akarsh
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
                On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Akarsh Simha wrote:

                > I have a dumb question - why doesn't FOSS.IN happen on weekends as
                > well - say Wednesday thru Sunday? That way, no matter what, students
                > can participate at least in 2 of 5 days.

                The issue is that many out-of-towners need Sunday to get back home, and
                get back to work/college/whatever on Monday. That means that if the event
                would happen on Sunday as well, almost noone from out of town would be
                able to attend.

                We have done this in the past, and paid the price.

                > For instance, if the KDE PoTD was on Saturday, I could've made it -

                Pradeepto's fault. :P

                > and my friend Arun would've made it to work with the GNOME folks.

                Shreyas' fault. :P

                > And yes, thanks a lot for considering this issue and keeping us
                > students in priority :-)

                But of course - got to save you guys from yourselves, right? :)

                Atul
              • G Karunakar
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
                  On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Gaurav Chaudhary <gauravdott@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for considering this issue. i have been waiting for last two years to
                  > attend foss.in but alas every time my university exam pops in. My vote goes
                  > to dec 1-5 because after that exams start. However december is not healthy
                  > month but i can manage that for foss.in

                  you could better specify which college / univ / location.. to give
                  organizers a better idea.

                  Karunakar
                • Akarsh Simha
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
                    Hi

                    I don't know whether Atul posted this link here. A friend pointed me
                    to it:

                    http://foss.in/news/2009-dates.html

                    Regards
                    Akarsh
                  • Gaurav Chaudhary
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
                      I am from Jaipur Engineering College & Research Center from Jaipur, Rajasthan. Being a huge fan of open source philosophy and its collaborative work, i hate to miss conferences like foss.in

                      I hope that this gives a better insight to organisers
                      Thanks

                      Gaurav

                      ________________________________
                      > Thanks for considering this issue. i have been waiting for last two years to
                      > attend foss.in but alas every time my university exam pops in. My vote goes
                      > to dec 1-5 because after that exams start. However december is not healthy
                      > month but i can manage that for foss.in

                      you could better specify which college / univ / location.. to give
                      organizers a better idea.

                      Karunakar

                    • Nirbheek Chauhan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
                        On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Atul Chitnis <mail@...> wrote:
                        > We are about to fix the FOSS.IN/2009 dates, and this time we would like to
                        > get some early inputs from people about convenient dates.
                        >
                        > This is specifically targetted at students in engineering colleges -
                        > please move heaven and earth, and try and find out which set of dates
                        > works best for you vis-a-vis exams:

                        Our academic calendar is made one year in advance --
                        http://www.iitk.ac.in/doaa/acad_calendar.htm

                        Anytime in December is fine for all IITK folks :-)

                        PS: The "Vacations" start from 27th, but we get our examination papers
                        till 1st Dec :p
                        --
                        ~Nirbheek Chauhan
                      • Kishore Bhargava
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 13 2:22 AM
                          All:

                          The poll for the FOSS.IN/2009 Dates is still open, if you have not voted
                          yet please do, we are about to finalise the venue this week and this
                          input is critical.

                          Also, if you have friends who are not on the mailing list or don't visit
                          the FOSS.IN site often enough, then please do let them know.

                          For the twitter'ers please, tweet, re-tweet and spread the good word.

                          Thanks in advance.

                          Cheers...Kishore
                          --

                          Atul Chitnis wrote:
                          > All:
                          >
                          > We are about to fix the FOSS.IN/2009 dates, and this time we would like to
                          > get some early inputs from people about convenient dates.
                          >
                          > This is specifically targetted at students in engineering colleges -
                          > please move heaven and earth, and try and find out which set of dates
                          > works best for you vis-a-vis exams:
                          >
                          > December 2009
                          > Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
                          > 1 2 3 4 5
                          > 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
                          > 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
                          > 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
                          > 27 28 29 30 31
                          >
                          > Option 1: December 1-5
                          >
                          > Option 2: December 8-12
                          >
                          > Option 3: December 15-19
                          >
                          > Any people outside India reading this who will want to come to India to
                          > participate in FOSS.IN/2009 - you have a say as well. Please let us know
                          > which dates are convenient for you.
                          >
                          > Everyone - check your event calendars, your exam calendars, call the VC of
                          > your university, tell him that you dont want to miss FOSS.IN (again), and
                          > whether he would help set up non-clashing exam dates, etc.
                          >
                          > Spread this message far and wide, on mailing lists, notice boards, blogs,
                          > twitter, etc. and make sure that as many people as possible can get to see
                          > it.
                          >
                          > If you don't want to reply to this list, contact us via
                          > http://foss.in/contact
                          >
                          > Thanks in advance for your quick replies!

                          --
                          Do, or do not; there is no try.