Re: [foss.in] FOSS.IN/2008: Event Announcement

  • Animesh Saxena
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 14, 2008
      Too much of hacking and stuff in FOSS! More and more people view it as a
      development platform and well I also love to attend FOSS for this very
      same reason - to learn about new technical stuff. Still when I browse
      the web Linux is considerd a black word by many new generation people
      atleast here in India. It might be a long shot why not target the
      Windows users. People who somehow view computers as "Which version of
      windows you have?". I would much rather want those people to admire the
      rock solid Linux and admire systems like Fedora with all the regular
      games and stuff. It's more user friendly than Windows and for the very
      same reason I have people like my dad shifting to Linux rather than
      crashy Windows. I am not sure if FOSS emphasizes that but I think it can
      be used for putting brakes on new Windows users. Something with cool
      graphics like beryl and new games, 3d stuff or migrating from Windows -
      Linux. Simple sessions if we can attract more people it will be too
      good. But anyway just a suggestion, not sure if it can work out.

      Animesh
    • Aditya Godbole
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 15, 2008
        On 8/15/08, Arun Raghavan <arunisgod@...> wrote:

        > What kind of session do you suggest? Because there's nothing
        > preventing people from, for example, sitting and just hacking at
        > whatever they want. In fact, we've been trying to facilitate precisely
        > this, with the Community Lounge and HackCenter for example.

        Something like "We are adding so and so feature to Kontact. We will
        give la ive demo and commentary of what we are doing. And we will
        explain the relevant architecture and API along the way." - done by
        the KDE team. This is just an example.
        Hell, even if it goes on the full day, sitting through it will be
        worth 10 talks.

        -aditya
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 15, 2008
          On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Aditya Godbole wrote:

          > Something like "We are adding so and so feature to Kontact. We will
          > give la ive demo and commentary of what we are doing. And we will
          > explain the relevant architecture and API along the way." - done by
          > the KDE team. This is just an example.
          > Hell, even if it goes on the full day, sitting through it will be
          > worth 10 talks.

          Hmmm, did you miss the event last year? :)

          http://foss.in/2007/schedules/

          Atul Chitnis
          Bangalore, India
          http://atulchitnis.net
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 15, 2008
            On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Animesh Saxena wrote:

            > Too much of hacking and stuff in FOSS! More and more people view it as a
            > development platform and well I also love to attend FOSS for this very
            > same reason - to learn about new technical stuff. Still when I browse
            > Linux. Simple sessions if we can attract more people it will be too
            > good. But anyway just a suggestion, not sure if it can work out.

            FOSS.IN is not a user conference - it is a contributor and developer
            oriented conference.

            From last year's CfP:

            "In the past, the event has had topics ranging from community building to
            advocacy. Although this approach has achieved considerable success,
            FOSS.IN/2007 will be dominated by project and technology talks, in order
            to avoid duplicating the efforts of User Groups and other conferences that
            focus on user and introductory topics.

            The main objective of FOSS.IN is to promote involvement in FOSS projects,
            so presentations about actual contribution to FOSS projects would be of
            primary importance.

            Contribution is defined as actual coding, design, documentation, testing,
            etc. Our primary criteria for selection of talks (especially for the Main
            Conference sessions) will be whether the presenters are actually involved
            in the project that they are talking about - as contributors, not solely
            as users.

            This change in orientation has been a result of continuous feedback from
            FOSS stalwarts who have attended the previous events."

            --
            Atul Chitnis
            Bangalore, India
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 15, 2008
              2008/8/14 Animesh Saxena <animesh.saxena@...>:

              > be used for putting brakes on new Windows users. Something with cool
              > graphics like beryl and new games, 3d stuff or migrating from Windows -
              > Linux. Simple sessions if we can attract more people it will be too
              > good. But anyway just a suggestion, not sure if it can work out.

              Sure it can work - as long as the talk is about an actual concrete
              contribution in this field. How about this - you start working on
              some 3D game or animation, and then set up a FOSS.in session where
              everyone who attends is supposed to contribute some part to the
              project. It could be gimp work, it could be code, it could be
              documentation, it could be testing, it could be packaging, anything.
              I'll leave it to you to figure out the logistics ;)
            • Sashank Dara
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 15, 2008
                > "Talk is Cheap , Show me the code "

                At first i thought are we going back to Linux Bangalore days in sense
                that its a developer conference in contrast to last years motto
                contributors conference

                > Code is more of a metaphor for contribution and not just "source code".

                Some how i still feel its not being conveyed.
                How about "Talk is Cheap , Show me the Bytes " ;) it can be
                anything bytes of artwork , source code , test cases , help manuals :D
                , well just a thought !
              • Shreyas Srinivasan
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 15, 2008
                  On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Sashank Dara <sashankdvk@...> wrote:
                  >> Code is more of a metaphor for contribution and not just "source code".
                  >
                  > Some how i still feel its not being conveyed.
                  > How about "Talk is Cheap , Show me the Bytes " ;) it can be
                  > anything bytes of artwork , source code , test cases , help manuals :D
                  > , well just a thought !

                  Well, Literally nothing conveys it like

                  "Talk is cheap, show me the ChangeLog"

                  but i dont think a lot of people will understand it. The conference motto
                  needs to be clear and understandable to a wide variety of people. I somehow
                  doubt either "Byte" or "ChangeLog" fit in that context.

                  Cheers,
                  Shreyas

                  --
                  CelAbrate your flaws
                • Andrew Cowie
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 15, 2008
                    On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 22:26 +0530, Aditya Godbole wrote:
                    > Something like "We are adding so and so feature to Kontact. We will
                    > give la ive demo and commentary of what we are doing. And we will
                    > explain the relevant architecture and API along the way." - done by
                    > the KDE team.

                    I saw that talk last year. Where were you?

                    ++

                    Ok, so that was abrupt.

                    But foss.in is pretty clued in. We don't really need to tell them what
                    to run. Between what gets submitted and their awesome filtering in
                    selecting talks, it'll be a rocking conference regardless.

                    ++

                    That all said, I wonder what would happen if I submitted a talk that was
                    titled "an 8 hour GNOME hacking session"...

                    [Hey, Shreyas, you can do all the work. I'll narrate. Deal?
                    Great! :)]

                    Broadly speaking, this was somewhat what Project Days were targetted to
                    achieve last year. In so far as that is a group of related people
                    talking about detailed features & contribution to a specific "project" -
                    and attracting new people to participate - they were wildly successful.

                    Open to question is whether a full day live pair-or-greater programming
                    tutorial hackfest with an audience (ie, say a 60 seater or so) would
                    actually accomplish anything FOR THE AUDIENCE in terms of _them_ being
                    able to contribute both *during* and after the event. Hold people's
                    attention for an entire day? At a conference where people a) don't ever
                    show up on time in the morning and b) of course want to flit from talk
                    to talk to sample and enjoy lots of variety? Yeah, right.

                    Speaking personally, I got a lot of really nice feedback after the "User
                    to hacker in 90 minutes" tutorial that Shreyas and I gave live - it
                    turned out that was just what some people needed. Reassured me that I
                    hadn't wasted everyone's time - but both I and Rusty (who did the same
                    live thing in his fun closing talk) agreed that it was really hard to
                    limit the scope to be something that could fit in such a short time and
                    yet be non-trivial.

                    AfC
                    Sydney

                    --
                    Andrew Frederick Cowie

                    Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy
                    focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems
                    review, and effective procedures for change management. We actively
                    carry out research and development in these areas on behalf of our
                    clients, and enable successful use of open source in their mission
                    critical enterprises, worldwide.

                    http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

                    Sydney New York Toronto London

                  • ankur
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 16, 2008
                      On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 4:32 AM, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...
                      > wrote:

                      > "Talk is cheap - show me the code"
                      >

                      > .

                      I remember the T-shirt quote given by Directi in FOSS 2006.

                      "I would love to change the world but they wont give me the source code." :D

                      --
                      ankur

                    • Aditya Godbole
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 16, 2008
                        On 8/16/08, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:

                        > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Aditya Godbole wrote:
                        >
                        > > Something like "We are adding so and so feature to Kontact. We will
                        > > give la ive demo and commentary of what we are doing. And we will
                        > > explain the relevant architecture and API along the way." - done by
                        > > the KDE team. This is just an example.
                        > > Hell, even if it goes on the full day, sitting through it will be
                        > > worth 10 talks.
                        >
                        > Hmmm, did you miss the event last year? :)

                        I was there alright. I felt that during the main conference and during
                        the project days, the coverage of the topics was too superficial to be
                        of substantial help to contribute. It might be a better idea to cover
                        less topics but spend much more time on them, going beyond mere block
                        diagrams, single line patches or tutorials on using version control.
                        Of course, its possible that the fault lies in me and it was my
                        inability to gain from the talks.

                        -aditya
                      • sanjay_ankur
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 17, 2008
                          I have end sems till 6th of December.. I wont be able to make it :-(((( I really wanted to make it..

                          Ankur,
                          Manipal Institute of Tech,
                          Manipal.
                        • Gopal V
                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 21, 2008
                            Aditya Godbole wrote:

                            > I was there alright. I felt that during the main conference and during
                            > the project days, the coverage of the topics was too superficial to be
                            > of substantial help to contribute. It might be a better idea to cover
                            > less topics but spend much more time on them, going beyond mere block
                            > diagrams, single line patches or tutorials on using version control.

                            As a developer, to stand on a podium and talk to 40-odd people is a
                            pain.

                            Trust me, I've fallen on the side of "let's dig deep" while making my
                            slides. And once your audience decides they are not involved enough to
                            catch up with you and you keep running along into the topic - not to
                            mention people being too egotistic to stop and ask a question about
                            what that last thing was.

                            http://t3.dotgnu.info/slides/pnet/mgp00013.html

                            Yeah, that's one of my slides from Lb 04. And this would be a slide
                            from a talk two years later

                            http://t3.dotgnu.info/slides/gimpfu/?#slide4

                            Trying to cater to the six people (who have some context) out of the 45
                            is the worst thing you could do as a speaker. And the hardest lesson
                            I've had to learn is that I've got to whittle down what I'm thinking
                            into what I'm saying. The conversational illusion that you will
                            understand what I've learned over a year, is what traps most people
                            into giving incomprehensible talks.

                            Talks are like documentation - the other end is not a machine (and
                            well, read my sig).

                            > Of course, its possible that the fault lies in me and it was my
                            > inability to gain from the talks.

                            This is not a classroom. This is not a place to preach the "how it's
                            done" for you to see or imitate.

                            The talk is something which establishes some context about the
                            project & the person talking[1]. To follow it up is the audience's
                            responsibility - "Thank you, thank you ... I'll be here all week".

                            Cheers,
                            Gopal
                            [1] - http://t3.dotgnu.info/blog/observations/rockstars-and-the-others
                            --
                            If I learn from my mistakes, pretty soon I'll know everything.
                          • Aditya Godbole
                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 23, 2008
                              On 8/21/08, Gopal V <gopalv82@...> wrote:

                              > This is not a classroom. This is not a place to preach the "how it's
                              > done" for you to see or imitate.
                              >
                              > The talk is something which establishes some context about the
                              > project & the person talking[1]. To follow it up is the audience's
                              > responsibility - "Thank you, thank you ... I'll be here all week".

                              My only request to the speakers this year is - "Show me the code".

                              -aditya
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 25, 2008
                                On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, Aditya Godbole wrote:

                                > My only request to the speakers this year is - "Show me the code".

                                Hmmm, I think you may not have quite understood what FOSS.IN is about, and
                                this may possibly not be the lind of event you are looking for.

                                FOSS.IN is not about people standing on stage giving you something.

                                FOSS.IN is about people standing on stage, in the corridors, on the lawns,
                                in the BOF tents, etc - telling you how to get involved in FOSS projec
                                contribution. They don't have to show you any code, since *their* code is
                                out there for you to see - no one gets to speak at FOSS.IN unless he is a
                                FOSS contributor.

                                FOSS.IN is about *you* showing the code.

                                Atul Chitnis
                                Bangalore, India
                                http://atulchitnis.net
                              • Balbir Singh
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 26, 2008
                                  On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Atul Chitnis
                                  <listadmin@...> wrote:
                                  > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, Aditya Godbole wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> My only request to the speakers this year is - "Show me the code".
                                  >
                                  > Hmmm, I think you may not have quite understood what FOSS.IN is about, and
                                  > this may possibly not be the lind of event you are looking for.
                                  >
                                  > FOSS.IN is not about people standing on stage giving you something.
                                  >
                                  > FOSS.IN is about people standing on stage, in the corridors, on the lawns,
                                  > in the BOF tents, etc - telling you how to get involved in FOSS projec
                                  > contribution. They don't have to show you any code, since *their* code is
                                  > out there for you to see - no one gets to speak at FOSS.IN unless he is a
                                  > FOSS contributor.

                                  Atul, I am sure you mean he or she :)

                                  > FOSS.IN is about *you* showing the code.
                                  >
                                  > Atul

                                  How about a "do it now or newbies" track? I spend a lot of time on
                                  http://sourceforge.net/projects/libcg (or libcg.sf.net) apart from the
                                  kernel work I try to do these days. My proposal is that I'll bring a
                                  set of easy to fix problems (or I could post them here for people to
                                  get an early start to FOSS contribution) and some enhancements. I'll
                                  let the attendees solve the problem and help them with getting the
                                  code included upstream (if they solve it well, I can put it up on the
                                  test branch), the process of building the patch, testing it and
                                  reviewing process, etc. How does that sound? I'll try and bring along
                                  some longer term projects as well. How does that sound?

                                  Balbir
                                • Aanjhan R
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 26, 2008
                                    On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Balbir Singh <bsingharora@...> wrote:
                                    > How about a "do it now or newbies" track? I spend a lot of time on
                                    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/libcg (or libcg.sf.net) apart from the
                                    > kernel work I try to do these days. My proposal is that I'll bring a
                                    > set of easy to fix problems (or I could post them here for people to
                                    > get an early start to FOSS contribution) and some enhancements. I'll
                                    > let the attendees solve the problem and help them with getting the
                                    > code included upstream (if they solve it well, I can put it up on the
                                    > test branch), the process of building the patch, testing it and
                                    > reviewing process, etc. How does that sound? I'll try and bring along
                                    > some longer term projects as well. How does that sound?

                                    Thats exactly what the event is all about. Creating, inspiring new
                                    contributors and asking them to "Show the code". This can be well
                                    achieved and mentored only by existing contributors. As it always
                                    means, "Code" isnt just "code". I remember last time someone helping
                                    to make people do wonderful artwork and submit it to some free
                                    software project. I think it was for Fedora.

                                    And this need not be an approved "session" as such. It could well be a
                                    hack centre, BOF tent thingi.

                                    Regards,
                                    Aanjhan
                                  • Runa Bhattacharjee
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 26, 2008
                                      Aanjhan R wrote:
                                      > On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Balbir Singh <bsingharora@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> How about a "do it now or newbies" track? I spend a lot of time on
                                      >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/libcg (or libcg.sf.net) apart from the
                                      >> kernel work I try to do these days. My proposal is that I'll bring a
                                      >> set of easy to fix problems (or I could post them here for people to
                                      >> get an early start to FOSS contribution) and some enhancements. I'll
                                      >> let the attendees solve the problem and help them with getting the
                                      >> code included upstream (if they solve it well, I can put it up on the
                                      >> test branch), the process of building the patch, testing it and
                                      >> reviewing process, etc. How does that sound? I'll try and bring along
                                      >> some longer term projects as well. How does that sound?
                                      >>

                                      > Thats exactly what the event is all about. Creating, inspiring new
                                      > contributors and asking them to "Show the code". This can be well
                                      > achieved and mentored only by existing contributors. As it always
                                      > means, "Code" isnt just "code". I remember last time someone helping
                                      > to make people do wonderful artwork and submit it to some free
                                      > software project. I think it was for Fedora.

                                      That was Mo Duffy [1] and she did multiple talks about contributing to
                                      the art projects.

                                      cheers
                                      Runa

                                      [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MairinDuffy

                                      --
                                      blog: http://runab.livejournal.com
                                      irc: mishti or runa_b on Freenode
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 27, 2008
                                        On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Balbir Singh wrote:

                                        > Atul, I am sure you mean he or she :)

                                        Aaaaarrrghhhhh!!! Yes, I do. Sorry! :)

                                        > How about a "do it now or newbies" track? I spend a lot of time on
                                        > http://sourceforge.net/projects/libcg (or libcg.sf.net) apart from the
                                        > kernel work I try to do these days. My proposal is that I'll bring a
                                        > set of easy to fix problems (or I could post them here for people to
                                        > get an early start to FOSS contribution) and some enhancements. I'll
                                        > let the attendees solve the problem and help them with getting the
                                        > code included upstream (if they solve it well, I can put it up on the
                                        > test branch), the process of building the patch, testing it and
                                        > reviewing process, etc. How does that sound? I'll try and bring along
                                        > some longer term projects as well. How does that sound?

                                        Sounds good to me. Even better - instead of restricting that to a session,
                                        I'll give you a whiteboard to post the issues on, and you keep updating it
                                        during the event. Anyone, anywhere on the premises can dig his/her teeth
                                        in - if they need help, your coordinates on the premises will me marked
                                        with a bright red X on the map.

                                        Given that we have enough wifi to redefine the term "bheja fry", that
                                        shouldn't really be difficult to achieve, and it givs an ongoing,
                                        trackable, visible activity throughout the event.

                                        Atul Chitnis
                                        Bangalore, India
                                        http://atulchitnis.net
                                      • Kartik Mistry
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 27, 2008
                                          On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Atul Chitnis
                                          <listadmin@...> wrote:
                                          > Given that we have enough wifi to redefine the term "bheja fry", that
                                          > shouldn't really be difficult to achieve, and it givs an ongoing,
                                          > trackable, visible activity throughout the event.

                                          bugs.foss.in?

                                          Post a bug/issue/tasks to solve for you, anyone can track anytime!

                                          Kartik Mistry | 0xD1028C8D | IRC: kart_
                                          Homepage: people.debian.org/~kartik
                                          Blogs: {ftbfs,kartikm}.wordpress.com
                                        • Balbir Singh
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 27, 2008
                                            <listadmin@...> wrote:

                                            > Sounds good to me. Even better - instead of restricting that to a session,
                                            > I'll give you a whiteboard to post the issues on, and you keep updating it
                                            > during the event. Anyone, anywhere on the premises can dig his/her teeth
                                            > in - if they need help, your coordinates on the premises will me marked
                                            > with a bright red X on the map.
                                            >
                                            > Given that we have enough wifi to redefine the term "bheja fry", that
                                            > shouldn't really be difficult to achieve, and it givs an ongoing,
                                            > trackable, visible activity throughout the event.

                                            Fantastic! You'll let me hide once in a while right :) I would also
                                            like to announce the names of everyone who contributed at the end of
                                            the session/day/event.

                                            Balbir
                                          • Dhaval Giani
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 27, 2008
                                              <listadmin@...> wrote:

                                              > Sounds good to me. Even better - instead of restricting that to a session,
                                              > I'll give you a whiteboard to post the issues on, and you keep updating it
                                              > during the event. Anyone, anywhere on the premises can dig his/her teeth
                                              > in - if they need help, your coordinates on the premises will me marked
                                              > with a bright red X on the map.

                                              That sounds really good. To kickstart this, I will setup a page on the
                                              libcgroup wiki with a current list of open problems. This will be a
                                              running list, as and when problems get solved, we move them off the
                                              list, and as and when we get new problems, we will add them to the
                                              list. I will post the link soon (currently filling data on the page,
                                              should be at http://libcg.wiki.sourceforge.net/fossin sometime soon)

                                              UPDATE: While having lots of email issues, I have a basic wiki page
                                              up, it will keep getting edited though, as and when we get more
                                              problems (and I remember those I missed :-) )

                                              Thanks,

                                              Dhaval
                                              --

                                              Ogden Nash - "The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up,
                                              it's always a cat."
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 4, 2008
                                                I am attending as its going to be fun.. and I am one of the top
                                                contributors in the ubuntu community and a contributing developer
                                                too... cya there..

                                                Ome more thing: Motto would be better as "Show me the ChangeLog" since
                                                changelog consists all the info about the changes to the code.. :)

                                                -
                                                Bhavani Shankar.R <bhavi@...>
                                                https://edge.launchpad.net/~bhavi
                                                A proud Ubuntu Member and user.