BeleniX 0.7.1 update release available

  • S h i v
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2008
      Hello All,

      The first update to the 0.7 release is now available. Give it a try
      and provide us the feedback.

      Download location : http://www.belenix.org/download
      (torrent is not yet available. will be available soon)

      Bugs/Feature Requests may be logged at
      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=216118

      This update brings in the latest development OpenSolaris build 93,
      updates to KDE 3.5.9, firefox 3.0.1, ability to create zones among
      other changes, bugfixes. This release includes the latest Caiman
      installer due to which upgrades from this release will become possible
      going forward.

      Complete list of changes:

      * Based on ON Build 93 that has new drivers (like ATIgfx) among other
      stuff.
      * Included the rum driver.
      * Nvidia driver updated to 173.14.05.
      * OSS updated to 4.0-1016.
      * Updated Fully Open X bits.
      * KDE updated to 3.5.9 and some upstream patches removed
      * Firefox 3.0.1
      * /sbin/sh is now ksh93.
      * Sham's RAM based Boot integrated. In Grub screen select more
      options to see that boot option.
      Install from RAM is possible and is *fast*. See Sham's Blog for
      details (http://blogs.sun.com/sham/entry/belenix_0_7_can_boot).
      * Caiman Installer updated to current version. Grub boot entries
      for Windows partitions are now automatically added. Detecting Linux
      partitions is a work in progress.
      * Added PowerTOP.
      * Added XVM PV drivers to support booting inside domU.
      * Qt 3.x is now built in both 32Bit and 64Bit versions.
      * Gtk-Qt3 is fixed to build with proper Solaris build flags so the
      nagging warning about /proc/.../cmdline does not appear.
      * Updated man pages to new release.
      * OpenMotif updated to fix some brokenness.
      * Ability to create zones via ZFS snapshots. See
      http://www.belenix.org/content/How-do-I-create-Zones-BeleniX ?.
      * Added Single-User Console boot option when booting from harddisk.
      * Many bugfixes. Fixed Usbdump in livecd mode.
      * More packages available via get-pkgs utility including various
      multimedia stuff. New pkg.belenix.org repository now online. However,
      this is not yet an IPS repository.
      * OpenSolaris G11N packages now available in the repository.
      * Setting is applied during install to trim ZFS ARC to 50% of RAM
      if there is 1GB RAM or less.

      Pending Issues

      * Sendmail cribs while booting off harddisk.
      * BeleniX still does not boot on non-SSE CPUs (to be handled in 0.7.2)

      Website: www.belenix.org
      Discussion List : belenix-discuss@...
      Developer List: belenix-dev@...
      IRC : #belenix @ freenode.net

      best regards
      Shiv
    • Kartik Mistry
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2008
        On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 8:08 AM, S h i v <shivakumar.gn@...> wrote:
        > * KDE updated to 3.5.9 and some upstream patches removed

        Interesting..

        Kartik Mistry | 0xD1028C8D | IRC: kart_
        Blogs: {ftbfs,kartikm}.wordpress.com
      • S h i v
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 18, 2008
          On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 8:08 AM, S h i v <shivakumar.gn@...> wrote:
          > Hello All,
          >
          > The first update to the 0.7 release is now available. Give it a try
          > and provide us the feedback.

          The belenix.org website has undergone a sea of changes and provides
          nice options to collaborate with each other and communicate
          information.
          Feel free to register on the belenix.org website, mark your locations
          on the map, make use of the forums, use scoopzone, submit
          opensolaris/belenix related stories... :)

          -Shiv
        • S h i v
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 18, 2008
            On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@...> wrote:
            > On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 8:08 AM, S h i v <shivakumar.gn@...> wrote:
            >> * KDE updated to 3.5.9 and some upstream patches removed
            >
            > Interesting..

            Probably that line didn't bring out the right meaning.
            During the BeleniX 0.7 work, we had a few patches for KDE that were
            relevant for upstream hence were submitted. Since they were accepted
            and merged into upstream, those patches were no longer required as
            separate patches in BeleniX 0.7.1 and were removed from your
            repository.

            -Shiv
          • S h i v
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 18, 2008
              On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 10:52 AM, S h i v <shivakumar.gn@...> wrote:
              > On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@...> wrote:
              >> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 8:08 AM, S h i v <shivakumar.gn@...> wrote:
              >>> * KDE updated to 3.5.9 and some upstream patches removed
              >>
              >> Interesting..
              >>

              > Probably that line didn't bring out the right meaning.
              > During the BeleniX 0.7 work, we had a few patches for KDE that were
              > relevant for upstream hence were submitted. Since they were accepted
              > and merged into upstream, those patches were no longer required as
              > separate patches in BeleniX 0.7.1 and were removed

              > from your
              > repository.

              s/your/our/