Re: [foss.in] Skill Set Sessions!

  • Pradeepto Bhattacharya
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 5, 2008
      Heya,

      On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Shreyas Srinivasan <sshreyas@...> wrote:
      >> Please discuss like Arun did and actually put forth some wonderful
      >> points to which I agree but his interpretation of "Skill Days" not
      >> what I meant.
      >
      > Ok, Couple of things i would like to point out:
      >
      > 1) Main Conference are sessions aimed
      > at contributers or atleast involved men/women.
      >
      > 2) The project days have slightly relaxed talk requirements,
      > they can have talks which can be general as long as they
      > build up to getting more people involved.
      >
      > What is evident from the discussion is the need to do a
      > few sessions which all project days need to address
      > in unison. These sessions are typically tools and
      > developer environment centric.
      >
      > Would that descriptions fit well with all of you?

      a friendly ping_poke :). Any further discussions / decisions
      on this issue.

      Cheers!

      Pradeepto
      --
      The KDE Project : http://www.kde.org
      KDE India : http://in.kde.org
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 5, 2008
        Dear all,

        Sorry to kick in so late... but I just noticed this rather long convo.
        Firstly, Pradeepto's idea is good. But I don't think it is right for
        the FOSS.IN format.

        I am in total agreement with Atul here - we have to pick our wars.
        Championing/marketing something and Furthering something are two
        different games.

        Pradeepto, your argument is subtle. But, IMHO FOSS.IN should not try
        to do the Educational Institute's job of teaching Version Control
        rather than teaching how to press buttons on VSS. Teaching concepts:
        It's their job... Getting a good grip on concepts require more than
        two days anyway.

        Think of it this way, if we scale the argument; it comes quite close
        to getting (tribals with bows and arrows) into a gun-fight. They'll
        die left right and centre if the sounds don't scare them off.

        Amol Hatwar
      • Akarsh Simha
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 6, 2008
          Hi

          > Pradeepto, your argument is subtle. But, IMHO FOSS.IN should not try
          > to do the Educational Institute's job of teaching Version Control
          > rather than teaching how to press buttons on VSS. Teaching concepts:
          > It's their job... Getting a good grip on concepts require more than
          > two days anyway.

          But not everybody who wants to become a FOSS developer is necessarily
          a CS student. Would it not help attract developers from other fields
          as well, if we could teach these things?

          Regards
          Akarsh
        • Philip Tellis
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 6, 2008
            > But not everybody who wants to become a FOSS developer is necessarily
            > a CS student. Would it not help attract developers from other fields
            > as well, if we could teach these things?

            Most of us learnt version control and other infrastructure topics
            related to FOSS development on our own, so I do not believe that not
            teaching it creates a barrier to entry. People learn these things
            only when they actually have to use them actively. Not so much when
            they sit in a classroom and listen/try it out. In my experience, the
            biggest barriers to entry has always been, "what should I work on?"
            and "how should I start?". The project days aim to answer those
            questions.
          • Sashank Dara
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 9, 2008

              > Most of us learn't version control and other infrastructure topics
              > related to FOSS development on our own, so I do not believe that not
              > teaching it creates a barrier to entry. People learn these things
              > only when they actually have to use them actively. Not so much when
              > they sit in a classroom and listen/try it out.
              ++
              You stole my words :) ...
              if we start teaching them these topics, for any reason , it may not
              fuel the spirit of FOSS.

              > In my experience, the biggest barriers to entry has always been,
              >"what should I work on?" and "how should I start?". The project
              >days aim to answer those questions.

              Yes , also we need to inspire them to dream ,to innovate, to share ,
              to learn , to contribute , this may fuel the true spirit and brings in
              more contributors