Re: [foss.in] Each one, give one

  • Debarshi Ray
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
      > If I can safely assume, a five rupee coin (or five one
      > rupee coins) is a small little amount to donate. Yes,
      > a plan to fund FOSS projects.
      >
      > Looking at the statistics previous years at foss.in,
      > the numbers have usually been of (10 ^ 3) * n (where n
      > <= 3)
      >
      > ==PLAN ONE==
      > So, if there are five big projects which need money
      > (may be a small donation, can keep them going) there
      > could be five such boxes (each with their labels) and
      > each one carrying those five one rupee coins, drops it
      > in the box.
      >
      > ==PLAN TWO==
      > Since, delegates pay an entry fee for the conference,
      > each delegate could be charged, five rupees, extra
      > (and pay them in five one rupee coins) which could be
      > given to the need projects.
      >
      > ==PLAN THREE==
      > Some non-profit registered organization, could do the
      > collection at a booth at foss.in and hand it over to
      > the project.

      +1

      Cheerio,
      Debarshi
    • Biju Chacko
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
        Roshan wrote:

        > But if you could just reconsider the resources put by
        > developers and the hardware requirements of FOSS
        > projects, and you, the end-user, getting it for free
        > (the internet bills are possibly the only thing that
        > you might be paying for FOSS stuff), it would be a
        > sense of gratitude towards the project and to those
        > involved in it.

        Make sure you have figured out what exactly you are going to do with any
        money you collect.

        As you yourself pointed out, there is a lot of red tape involved in
        accepting donations. When, a few people offered to donate money to the
        Xfce project, we finally decided to decline because of overhead involved
        in accepting money.

        The second problem was -- what to do with the money? None of the devs
        was particularly hard up and anyway it wasn't enough it make a big
        difference to anyone. We didn't need any hardware and since we were on
        three different continents having a drink was difficult.

        On the other hand, donations in kind are easy to accept. We got servers,
        and hosting like this.

        Finally, I still think that the best donation is time -- spend some time
        to contribute.

        But if you must collect money, you need to do the following:

        a. Ensure you are legally entitled to accept cash payments.

        b. Ensure you have a list of specific uses for the money in mind, for
        example:
        * Sample hardware for project foo.
        * Allow maintainer of project bar to take two months off to add
        feature X.

        HTH,

        -- b
      • Gopal V
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008

          http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=233893&cid=19033465

          http://t3.dotgnu.info/blog/conferences/would-you-do-it-again

          http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=212812&cid=17318348

          > Looking at the statistics previous years at foss.in,
          > the numbers have usually been of (10 ^ 3) * n (where n
          > <= 3)

          Projects don't need money, they need resources.

          People are expensive resources to maintain and hardware
          & bandwidth is infinitely cheaper to offer.

          (for instance, that blog is hosted on some guy's basement
          in Zurich)

          Cheers,
          Gopal
          --
          If I learn from my mistakes, pretty soon I'll know everything.
        • Kartik Mistry
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
            On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Gopal V <gopalv82@...> wrote:
            > Projects don't need money, they need resources.
            >
            > People are expensive resources to maintain and hardware
            > & bandwidth is infinitely cheaper to offer.

            +1.

            Kartik Mistry | 0xD1028C8D | IRC: kart_
            Blogs: {ftbfs,kartikm}.wordpress.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
              On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Gopal V wrote:

              > People are expensive resources to maintain and hardware
              > & bandwidth is infinitely cheaper to offer.

              ...and much more useful to a project. The project itself wouldn't exist if
              it didn't have people.

              The "need money for FOSS project" thing is really unique to our side of
              the world, where people haven't quite "got it" as far as FOSS motivation
              is concerned. :)

              I don't really know of anyone who does a FOSS project because he gets paid
              for it.

              And having said that, I'd like to declare this subject closed (on this
              list, anyway), since it really has nothing to do with the FOSS.IN event.
              Feel free to take it to linux-bangalore-non-tech or Linux India General,
              where it would be on-topic.

              Thanks!

              Atul Chitnis
              Bangalore, India