Each one, give one

  • Roshan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
      List,

      Now this might sound like a new OT campaign concerning
      some foo. But it isn't. It is in interest of FOSS
      projects.

      The idea is straightforward, and could have different
      implementations.

      If I can safely assume, a five rupee coin (or five one
      rupee coins) is a small little amount to donate. Yes,
      a plan to fund FOSS projects.

      Looking at the statistics previous years at foss.in,
      the numbers have usually been of (10 ^ 3) * n (where n
      <= 3)

      ==PLAN ONE==
      So, if there are five big projects which need money
      (may be a small donation, can keep them going) there
      could be five such boxes (each with their labels) and
      each one carrying those five one rupee coins, drops it
      in the box.

      ==PLAN TWO==
      Since, delegates pay an entry fee for the conference,
      each delegate could be charged, five rupees, extra
      (and pay them in five one rupee coins) which could be
      given to the need projects.

      ==PLAN THREE==
      Some non-profit registered organization, could do the
      collection at a booth at foss.in and hand it over to
      the project.

      ==How does it work? (if it does)==
      Assuming, around 2500/- people attend this conference,
      even if 1000/- people donate one rupee each for each
      project, each project gets Rs. 1000/-.

      That may not be a very big amount, but it could be
      significant enough.

      ==What problems it could have?==
      I'm don't know, how taxes are associated with
      donations, concerning the organization receiving the
      donation and the donor (if there are).

      Resistance from paying an extra amount.

      ==Why do I pay?==
      It is actually your choice. When I thought about this,
      I couldn't have a very convincing answer.

      But if you could just reconsider the resources put by
      developers and the hardware requirements of FOSS
      projects, and you, the end-user, getting it for free
      (the internet bills are possibly the only thing that
      you might be paying for FOSS stuff), it would be a
      sense of gratitude towards the project and to those
      involved in it.

      I welcome all suggestions / changes / criticisms.

      --
      http://www.gnu.org.in

      Share files, take polls, and make new friends - all under one roof. Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/
    • Debarshi Ray
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
        > If I can safely assume, a five rupee coin (or five one
        > rupee coins) is a small little amount to donate. Yes,
        > a plan to fund FOSS projects.
        >
        > Looking at the statistics previous years at foss.in,
        > the numbers have usually been of (10 ^ 3) * n (where n
        > <= 3)
        >
        > ==PLAN ONE==
        > So, if there are five big projects which need money
        > (may be a small donation, can keep them going) there
        > could be five such boxes (each with their labels) and
        > each one carrying those five one rupee coins, drops it
        > in the box.
        >
        > ==PLAN TWO==
        > Since, delegates pay an entry fee for the conference,
        > each delegate could be charged, five rupees, extra
        > (and pay them in five one rupee coins) which could be
        > given to the need projects.
        >
        > ==PLAN THREE==
        > Some non-profit registered organization, could do the
        > collection at a booth at foss.in and hand it over to
        > the project.

        +1

        Cheerio,
        Debarshi
      • Biju Chacko
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
          Roshan wrote:

          > But if you could just reconsider the resources put by
          > developers and the hardware requirements of FOSS
          > projects, and you, the end-user, getting it for free
          > (the internet bills are possibly the only thing that
          > you might be paying for FOSS stuff), it would be a
          > sense of gratitude towards the project and to those
          > involved in it.

          Make sure you have figured out what exactly you are going to do with any
          money you collect.

          As you yourself pointed out, there is a lot of red tape involved in
          accepting donations. When, a few people offered to donate money to the
          Xfce project, we finally decided to decline because of overhead involved
          in accepting money.

          The second problem was -- what to do with the money? None of the devs
          was particularly hard up and anyway it wasn't enough it make a big
          difference to anyone. We didn't need any hardware and since we were on
          three different continents having a drink was difficult.

          On the other hand, donations in kind are easy to accept. We got servers,
          and hosting like this.

          Finally, I still think that the best donation is time -- spend some time
          to contribute.

          But if you must collect money, you need to do the following:

          a. Ensure you are legally entitled to accept cash payments.

          b. Ensure you have a list of specific uses for the money in mind, for
          example:
          * Sample hardware for project foo.
          * Allow maintainer of project bar to take two months off to add
          feature X.

          HTH,

          -- b
        • Gopal V
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008

            http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=233893&cid=19033465

            http://t3.dotgnu.info/blog/conferences/would-you-do-it-again

            http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=212812&cid=17318348

            > Looking at the statistics previous years at foss.in,
            > the numbers have usually been of (10 ^ 3) * n (where n
            > <= 3)

            Projects don't need money, they need resources.

            People are expensive resources to maintain and hardware
            & bandwidth is infinitely cheaper to offer.

            (for instance, that blog is hosted on some guy's basement
            in Zurich)

            Cheers,
            Gopal
            --
            If I learn from my mistakes, pretty soon I'll know everything.
          • Kartik Mistry
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
              On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Gopal V <gopalv82@...> wrote:
              > Projects don't need money, they need resources.
              >
              > People are expensive resources to maintain and hardware
              > & bandwidth is infinitely cheaper to offer.

              +1.

              Kartik Mistry | 0xD1028C8D | IRC: kart_
              Blogs: {ftbfs,kartikm}.wordpress.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
                On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Gopal V wrote:

                > People are expensive resources to maintain and hardware
                > & bandwidth is infinitely cheaper to offer.

                ...and much more useful to a project. The project itself wouldn't exist if
                it didn't have people.

                The "need money for FOSS project" thing is really unique to our side of
                the world, where people haven't quite "got it" as far as FOSS motivation
                is concerned. :)

                I don't really know of anyone who does a FOSS project because he gets paid
                for it.

                And having said that, I'd like to declare this subject closed (on this
                list, anyway), since it really has nothing to do with the FOSS.IN event.
                Feel free to take it to linux-bangalore-non-tech or Linux India General,
                where it would be on-topic.

                Thanks!

                Atul Chitnis
                Bangalore, India