Re: [foss.in] A little publicity for FOSS maybe...?

  • Philip Tellis
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14, 2008
      On 13/04/2008, kirpag <kirpag@...> wrote:

      > We could perhaps even alternatively do an interview with one of the
      > main organisers of FOSS, get in details about proposed events, news,
      > updates, the goals of FOSS, what it hopes to achieve, etc. would be

      I'm sure one of the conference organisers will respond soon enough,
      but I'd like to chip in with some suggestions.

      1. It's very important to disambiguate the term FOSS - which refers
      only to software, and FOSS.IN - which is the name of the conference.
      Your newsletter is a good avenue to dispel these doubts amongst those
      that have it and introduce students to both, the software development
      methodology and also the largest conference in India dedicated to this
      methodology.

      2. You could interview a FOSS.IN organiser, or you could interview an
      Indian FOSS contributor (I'm not sure if you could interview two
      people in a single edition). I would suggest that you pick an Indian
      FOSS contributor for this edition to create role models for the
      students in your college. You'll find that many of the FOSS.IN
      organisers fall into this category already, so you may get a good
      balance.

      3. You should also catch some of your ex-students who are involved in
      writing FOSS.
    • srinivasan@au-kbc.org
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14, 2008
        Hello Kirpag:
        Quoting kirpag <kirpag@...>:

        > Knowledge of FOSS in my college : you could count them on your
        > fingers.

        > The Solution: Well. we've started out our college newsletter, and
        > well, guess who's the Chief Editor? ;) So **one** of my aims is to
        > get a feature on FOSS in the next edition for this semester. If
        > anybody could help me out over here, I'd like to introduce FOSS by
        > means of a feature to all my fellow students and spread the movement
        > and infect them with the idea of Open Source Software (how they never
        > hear about it is a mystery indeed).

        All the best for your feature -- as suggested elsewhere in this mailing list,
        you could talk to FOSS.IN organizers and there are plenty of FOSS experts in and
        around Bangalore who, I am sure, will help you out.

        Whiel this may be a one-time effort, you could also talk to your students and
        staff to organize FOSS awareness seminars / training sessions / workshops. I
        hope you yourself could get involved in some FOSS project -- rope in few others
        as well.

        We, from NRCFOSS, could be of some help -- mainly because we operate under Anna
        University, have offered FOSS electives and have been conducting many such
        programmes. Am attaching a pdf file giving some brief data on our HRD related
        activties.

        This will ease the path for getting official sanction and we can then use the
        local FOSS resources to conduct the programmes, establish & maintain contact
        with interested students for future steps.

        with best wishes,
        Srinivasan.
        Project Scientist, NRCFOSS.
        http://www.nrcfoss.org.in
        http://www.nrcfosshelpline.web/

      • Roshan
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14, 2008
          --- kirpag wrote:

          [snip]

          > Particpation in my college (PES School Of
          > Engineering) in FOSS so
          > far: 1 member (namely me)

          And how did you get into FOSS?

          > If
          > anybody could help me out over here, I'd like to
          > introduce FOSS by
          > means of a feature to all my fellow students and
          > spread the movement
          > and infect them with the idea of Open Source
          > Software (how they never
          > hear about it is a mystery indeed).

          I'm not opposed to the idea of starting from scratch,
          but there are multiple sources of information
          (licensed for re-distribution) which you could rather
          use and "educate" newbies (since you say, they haven't
          heard about it) and introduce them to this paradigm of
          software development.

          If you feel a 'full newbie content newsletter' would
          hurt the purpose, you could put it as a section (I'm
          doubtful, if it needs to be so, though).

          Possibly content on the following websites are under a
          re-distributable license. You could collate, intro
          stuff, and give credits where applicable.

          http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
          http://www.gnu.org.in/ (an Indian context)
          http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/ (lots of content)
          http://fullcirclemagazine.org/ (the well know magazine
          for Ubuntu Linux)
          http://opensource.org/ (Difference between Free and
          Open Source Software, though subtle is important).

          > We could perhaps even alternatively do an interview
          > with one of the
          > main organisers of FOSS, get in details about
          > proposed events, news,
          > updates, the goals of FOSS, what it hopes to
          > achieve, etc. would be
          > great. If any one of the organisers think this is a
          > good idea and
          > might be interested in doing a feature like this,
          > please do respond
          > ASAP!

          Interview could also be added in this issue, though I
          think, there is a need to spread awareness about FOSS
          in your college and later start with the interview
          series.

          FOSS.IN (conference), in its eight (8th) year, I
          assume, intends to reach an audience who are geared
          with primary skills (may be of programming /
          documentation / contribution) than introducing FOSS.

          Search the archive of this mailing list for the
          Admin's post (Atul Chitnis) on the responsibility of a
          Linux User Group (or as such any FOSS interested
          group) to spread the cause further. :)

          --
          http://www.gnu.org.in
          http://www.somaiya.edu/sksasc

          Did you know? You can CHAT without downloading messenger. Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php/
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 14, 2008
            On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, kirpag wrote:

            > We could perhaps even alternatively do an interview with one of the
            > main organisers of FOSS, get in details about proposed events, news,
            > updates, the goals of FOSS, what it hopes to achieve, etc. would be
            > great. If any one of the organisers think this is a good idea and
            > might be interested in doing a feature like this, please do respond
            > ASAP! We're supposed to finalise the articles for the next edition by
            > the 20th, i can prob stretch that for a day or two max but thats it.
            > Of course, this is just an offer to contribute, taking it up is in
            > one of your hands...

            A good place to start would be here:

            http://atulchitnis.net/diary/showentry/464

            :)

            But otherwise a worthwhile thought. Especially given that students will
            benefit the most from the event.

            So grab someone from the team (http://foss.in/2007/info/Team), or simply
            all of them, and start asking questions. If you would rather ask questions
            on this list, that's also fine - allows other people to pitch in as well.