FSF honours Harald Welte

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2008
      Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! :)

      http://www.fsf.org/news/2007_free_software_awards

      The Award for the Advancement of Free Software went to Linux kernel
      hacker and founder of http://gpl-violations.org, Harald Welte. The
      awards committee honored both Welte's technical contributions to
      projects like the Linux kernel and the OpenMoko mobile platform
      project, and his community leadership in safeguarding the freedom of
      free software users by successfully enforcing the GNU General Public
      License in over one hundred cases since the gpl-violations.org project
      began in 2004.

      In a prepared statement read on his behalf by Jacob Applebaum, Welte
      described the motivation behind his work. "I believe the copyleft
      principle creates a fair equilibrium between taking existing works and
      giving back whatever extensions and modifications were made. When I
      first heard of certain commercial corporations not playing by the
      rules, by taking GPL-licensed code but not releasing the source code
      of their derivative works, I was outraged -- big business, who usually
      are the first to enforce their own copyright and related rights if
      anyone dares to infringe them, suddenly violating copyright
      themselves."

      Harald Welte joins a distinguished crowd of previous winners:

      * 2006 Ted Ts'o
      * 2005 Andrew Tridgell
      * 2004 Theo de Raadt
      * 2003 Alan Cox