Invitation to FOSS Meet@NITC 2008

  • Praveen A
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2008

      We are pleased to inform you that National Institute of Technology,
      Calicut will be hosting its annual free and open source software
      conference, namely FOSS Meet @ NITC 2008, on 28th, 29th and 30th of
      March 2008. This time the focus of the event is to get more students
      actively involved in FOSS. As usual, there will be talks, BOFs,
      workshops etc. - details of which will soon be put up on our website –
      http://www.fossmeet.in/nitc .

      In addition to that, this year, we are starting a contest called
      FOSSDev, to promote student participation in and contribution to FOSS.
      Basically, a team wishing to participate has to find a mentor who will
      help them contribute to a project of the participant's choice. FOSSDev
      is a year long event. There will be three "checkpoints" at which
      progress will be evaluated and prizes will be given accordingly. Total
      prize money is Rs. 23,500. You can read more about FOSSDev at
      http://fossmeet.in/nitc/fossdev .

      This meet is organized by the GNU/Linux Users Group Calicut(GLUGC) in
      association with Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers,
      Student Branch NIT Calicut [IEEE], Computer Society of India, Calicut
      Chapter [CSI], Computer Science and Engineering Association [CSEA] and
      all the volunteers from various walks of life.

      Listen to people who already experienced the FOSS Meet spirit.

      * [...] NITC's FOSS event has grown in stature, and is quickly
      becoming one of the recognized FOSS events in India, along with
      Gnunify, Freedel and of course FOSS.IN. [...] - Atul Chitnis
      http://atulchitnis.net/diary/showentry/420

      * [...]The organization of FOSS @ NITC surprised me, compared to
      what I'd seen at other similar conferences. Compared to what went on
      at GNUnify, these guys are a lot more decentralized in organization
      and had quite a feel of a student run tech fest. I hardly saw any
      faculty running around, except for Amarjeet. The faculty was more of
      facilitiating the event rather than running the event and their pulls
      on the event was not quite obvious, if any. Quite heartening indeed
      from my point of view.[...] - Gopal V
      http://t3.dotgnu.info/blog/conferences/foss-nitc-06.html

      * [...] Right. All around good experience, the event, the place,
      the hosts and not to mention the food. College set near a nice
      jungle/hill kinda place. Appams rocked! Beach was fun as well, just in
      time for the sunset. Lots of good talks from Philip, Gopal, Shyam,
      Shreyas and so many many more people. [...] - Pradeepto

      http://mm.ilug-bom.org.in/pipermail/linuxers/Week-of-Mon-20070212/058037.html

      * [...] I was at the meet up last year along with Pradeepto and
      many other people. It's quite a nice experience. You should go if you
      can. [...] - Philip Tellis
      http://mm.ilug-bom.org.in/pipermail/linuxers/Week-of-Mon-20070212/058031.html

      [...] It still amazes me "How in such a short span of time these NITC
      Folks have managed to make FOSS.NITC a nationwide Community event".
      Keep it up guys.[...] - Aanjhan
      http://www.tuxmaniac.com/blog/?p=33

      Looking forward to meeting you at FOSSMeet@NITC 2008.

      Note: Please register yourself on the website as soon as possible.

      Regards,
      The Core Team
      FOSSMeet@NITC2008

      --
      പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
      (as seen on /.)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2008
        Hi all:
        would like to remind all of you that FossConf Chennai Feb '08 is just about 40
        hrs., away.

        The first support announcement, naturally, had come from FOSS.IN [thanks Atul
        for bringing the cheque to Chennai] and other sponsorships had followed.

        there is a good response, especially from the student community and
        would like to alert them about other FOSS events. [hi praveen : thanks for the
        msg re FOSS meet at NITC. will put up a notice on the event at FossConf. If you
        have any "poster" send me a soft copy so that I could print and put out the same]

        please visit http://fossconf.in/web/ for schedule and other info.

        looking forward to see as many of you as possible at FossConf.

        thanks and best wishes,
        Srinivasan, NRCFOSS.
      • Puneet Lakhina
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
          On Jan 30, 2008 7:58 PM, <srinivasan@...> wrote:
          > please visit http://fossconf.in/web/ for schedule and other info.

          Broken link. I get a 404.

          --
          Puneet
          http://sahyog.blogspot.com/
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
            Quoting Puneet Lakhina <puneet.lakhina@...>:

            > On Jan 30, 2008 7:58 PM, <srinivasan@...> wrote:
            > > please visit http://fossconf.in/web/ for schedule and other info.
            >
            > Broken link. I get a 404.
            >
            > --
            > Puneet
            > http://sahyog.blogspot.com/
            > Latest Post: Tutorial on SVN setup and usage

            it is http://www.fossconf.in/

            srinivasan.