Scheduling PDs

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2007
      All:

      Lots of questions about how the Project Days will be scheduled - where and
      when.

      The "when" is fairly simple to work out - there are a lot of conditions
      that decide that. For example - almost all IndLinux folks are also
      involved with Debian, so we can't schedule those two on the same day.
      Similar conditions apply to all the other PDs, so we will be taking all
      those into account, and should be able to publish that list in a couple of
      days.

      The harder part is - which hall will each PD be in? After all, we have
      four halls available on each day (4th and 5th December), seating 60, 90,
      120 and 250 people (we are not using the 750 seater for PDs).

      The simple answer is - that's in your hands.

      We are using registrations to gauge the approximate interest levels in
      each PD. So the PDs where we see highest interest levels (and logically
      maximum number of people) will be allocated to the largest hall.

      This is sheer logistics, and has nothing to do with how important a PD
      topic is. We just don't want to end up trying to shoehorn an audience of
      250 people into a 60 seater hall, while the 250 seater hall is 75% empty.

      If you believe that you will be getting large crowds for your PD, and want
      to make sure that you get a larger hall assigned to you to accommodate
      them, please ensure that you ask people to register early and correctly
      mark their interests.

      Writing to us asking us to ensure that you are given a large hall is
      meaningless - we do not control that, the delegates who sign up do.

      F O S S . I N / 2 0 0 7
      India's Premier FOSS Conference
      December 4-8, 2007
      Bangalore, India
      http://foss.in
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2007
        On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Atul Chitnis wrote:

        > The "when" is fairly simple to work out - there are a lot of conditions
        > that decide that. For example - almost all IndLinux folks are also
        > involved with Debian, so we can't schedule those two on the same day.
        > Similar conditions apply to all the other PDs, so we will be taking all
        > those into account, and should be able to publish that list in a couple of
        > days.

        Since I posted this, we have had several mails from people asking for
        their PDs to be scheduled on the 5th instead of the 4th.

        The reasons stated so far are

        - non-availability of the PD coordinator on the 4th
        - non-availability of speakers on the 4th

        The dates for the PDs were well known, and neither of these reasons is
        acceptable. The only change that can be accepted at this time is
        cancellation of the PD.

        Please understand that the event starts on the 4th of December, not the
        5th. And that four out of eight PDs will take place on the 4th. And that
        we have very good reasons for scheduling some of the more prominent PDs
        for the first day.

        Also, understand that the PD coordinators and the community associated
        with the PD are expected to publicise their PDs. Right now, what I am
        seeing in terms of interest indicated by registered delegates is directly
        proportional to the amount of publicity I am seeing happening for each PD.

        So whip up your communities, whip up posters for your PD, and "market" the
        PD to get as many delegates as possible registering and indicating
        interested for you PD.