Re: [foss.in] LUGs: Here's is an opportunity

  • Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007
      Atul Chitnis wrote:

      > 2. There are no talks that introduce people to FOSS concepts.
      >
      > How about a "Get ready for FOSS.IN" series of LUG meetings? One where
      > people are introduced to the basics, and the applications and various
      > focus areas that you know are going to be covered in-depth at FOSS.IN?
      >

      > Pointmen for this would be the LUG coordinators, NRC-FOSS people
      > (Dr.Srinivasan), community communicators (Fred Noronha) and of course any
      > community member who would want to contribute. People could even
      > travel to
      > other LUGs to make take sessions there.

      a) Have created a wiki page in NRCFOSS helpline :
      http://nrcfosshelpline.in/code/wiki/GetReadyforFossDotIn
      those interested could use this as a forum for exchange of views,
      planning, etc.

      b) deriving from the ILUG-C experience, we generally have the following
      agenda for "1 day" sessions:
      Presentations:
      1 hr on FOSS concepts and overview
      1 hr on NRCFOSS -- academic initiatives (electives, student
      projects, etc.) [well, we have to project ourselves too!]
      and migration to FOSS (FOSS equivalents of curriculum
      software)
      Lab session : Linux installation - demo - working with
      representative packages
      When we have additional day, the focus is on LAMP technologies,
      Collaborative development, etc.

      c) once the "Project Day" topics are finalised, we could think of 1 or 2
      days preparatory sessions -- could be repeated every month
      the materials could be shared among those who organize the "get to
      know FOSS" events.
      possible venues : various engg colleges
      e.g. in Tamilnadu : Anna University, Chennai (Guindy & MIT campus)
      ; Jaya Engg, Chennai, Kongu Engg, Perundurai,
      Sona College, Salem ; PSG Tech & Sri
      Ramakrishna College, Coimbatore ; Thiagaraja College, Madurai ;
      NIT, Trichy ; etc etc.
      other states : MNIT, Jaipur ; MNNIT, Allahabad ; VJIT, Mumbai ; ???
      Delhi ; ??? Bangalore
      WBUT & Saha Institute, Kolkata etc etc.

      I am sure it is "FOSS"ible for us to join and get working.
      Srinivasan.
      Project Scientist, NRCFOSS

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007
        On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Srinivasan wrote:

        > a) Have created a wiki page in NRCFOSS helpline :
        > http://nrcfosshelpline.in/code/wiki/GetReadyforFossDotIn
        > those interested could use this as a forum for exchange of views,
        > planning, etc.

        Excellent! :) That was quick!

        > b) deriving from the ILUG-C experience, we generally have the following
        > agenda for "1 day" sessions:
        > Presentations:
        > 1 hr on FOSS concepts and overview
        > 1 hr on NRCFOSS -- academic initiatives (electives, student
        > projects, etc.) [well, we have to project ourselves too!]
        > and migration to FOSS (FOSS equivalents of curriculum
        > software)
        > Lab session : Linux installation - demo - working with
        > representative packages
        > When we have additional day, the focus is on LAMP technologies,
        > Collaborative development, etc.

        Issue is time. People won't sit through a full day program - LUG meets are
        usually one evening on a weekend, once a month. So things have to be
        optimized for that kind of environment. Can easily be done in segments,
        one each month (or even every week, or every two weeks).

        > c) once the "Project Day" topics are finalised, we could think of 1 or 2
        > days preparatory sessions -- could be repeated every month
        > the materials could be shared among those who organize the "get to
        > know FOSS" events.

        Perfect.

        > possible venues : various engg colleges
        > e.g. in Tamilnadu : Anna University, Chennai (Guindy & MIT campus)
        > ; Jaya Engg, Chennai, Kongu Engg, Perundurai,
        > Sona College, Salem ; PSG Tech & Sri
        > Ramakrishna College, Coimbatore ; Thiagaraja College, Madurai ;
        > NIT, Trichy ; etc etc.
        > other states : MNIT, Jaipur ; MNNIT, Allahabad ; VJIT, Mumbai ; ???
        > Delhi ; ??? Bangalore
        > WBUT & Saha Institute, Kolkata etc etc.

        People, pitch in! Fred, where are you?

        > I am sure it is "FOSS"ible for us to join and get working.

        LOL! :)

        F O S S . I N / 2 0 0 7
        India's Premier FOSS Conference
        December 4-8, 2007
        Bangalore, India
        http://foss.in
      • Roshan
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007
          --- Atul Chitnis wrote:

          > [snip]
          > Comments? *Constructive* criticism?
          >
          > Discuss!

          Fantastic idea. Already posted by Pradeepto on
          GLUG-BOM list. :)

          --
          FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
          ubunturos @ freenode

          Once upon a time there was 1 GB storage in your inbox. To know the happy ending go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html
        • Ajay Kumar
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007
            Hi All,

            > > b) deriving from the ILUG-C experience, we generally have the following
            > > agenda for "1 day" sessions:
            > > Presentations:
            > > 1 hr on FOSS concepts and overview
            > > 1 hr on NRCFOSS -- academic initiatives (electives, student
            > > projects, etc.) [well, we have to project ourselves too!]
            > > and migration to FOSS (FOSS equivalents of curriculum
            > > software)
            > > Lab session : Linux installation - demo - working with
            > > representative packages
            > > When we have additional day, the focus is on LAMP technologies,
            > > Collaborative development, etc.
            >
            > Issue is time. People won't sit through a full day program - LUG meets are
            > usually one evening on a weekend, once a month. So things have to be
            > optimized for that kind of environment. Can easily be done in segments,
            > one each month (or even every week, or every two weeks).

            I have an alternate solution to the problem. Why don't we create
            screencasts and upload them to googlevideo or someplace. I am happy to
            volunteer to organize all these videos into specific trails to follow.
            That way it becomes a self paced training.

            > > I am sure it is "FOSS"ible for us to join and get working.

            But it is surely "FOSS"ible to sit on our desks and get working:) .
            Consider screen recording softwares:

            * Istanbul
            * XVidCap
            * Wink (NOT FOSS, but free)

            Use whichever works for you. Upload to google video, and pass me the
            link. :)

            Cheers,
            Ajay
          • Gopal V
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007
              Ajay Kumar wrote:

              > I have an alternate solution to the problem. Why don't we create
              > screencasts and upload them to googlevideo or someplace. I am happy to
              > volunteer to organize all these videos into specific trails to follow.
              > That way it becomes a self paced training.

              There's nothing self-paced about a conference. In fact, the whole
              internet, mail & IRC exist to do that. What a conference actually
              gives you is "face time".

              To ask the questions you want, to have them answered, put your
              problems forth and probably get help from unexpected quarters.
              This is not new opinion from my side, but I've always maintained
              that the real "conference" is in the corridors.

              http://t3.dotgnu.info/blog/2006/Nov/23/

              > But it is surely "FOSS"ible to sit on our desks and get working:) .
              > Consider screen recording softwares:

              My slides have 10% of the content of my talk. I mean, if it were
              only slides on a screen cast, I might as well send in that & not
              bother venturing out to face an audience (no, it's not a "fun"
              experience).

              Most speakers picked for foss.in are probably going be to good
              technical people who can sit down at their desks and churn out
              a tutorial/screencast.

              But what a conference needs is to be able to stand on a stage
              and utter the phrases required. People have various reactions
              from stage fright to poker faced monotones all of which
              makes for a bad talk even if you're the biggest expert in the
              field.

              Trust me, I've been there, done that and still have the conference
              t-shirt. What's needed is for the speaker to run through their talk
              once in front of a familiar/small audience. Realize the missing bits,
              emphasise on things which the audience picked up on, collect some
              feedback.

              This is what Atul is actually talking about - to have the LUGs do
              the initial feedback/tuneup phase over the months before the big
              one (linux.conf.au has a similar policy, too - check their
              speaker FAQ).

              Cheers,
              Gopal
              --
              "I suppose you expect me to talk."
              "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
                Gopal V wrote:

                > There's nothing self-paced about a conference. In fact, the whole
                > internet, mail & IRC exist to do that. What a conference actually
                > gives you is "face time".

                Agreed! But I had always meant the tutorials to be for the new
                attendees, and not for the new speaker.

                > This is what Atul is actually talking about - to have the LUGs do
                > the initial feedback/tuneup phase over the months before the big
                > one (linux.conf.au has a similar policy, too - check their
                > speaker FAQ).

                The feedback/tuneup for the speakers is a great side-effect.

                But I guess the bigger worry of everyone, Atul (quoted below) included,
                was about introducing people to FOSS concepts. And not about speaker
                training.

                >2. There are no talks that introduce people to FOSS concepts.

                > I am less bothered with (1), but (2) is an opportunity for the LUGs to
                > benefit from the publicity that FOSS.IN inevitably has, and to provide a
                > truly useful service.

                Cheers,
                Ajay
              • Vinay Simha
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 10, 2007
                  Hello

                  Since this discussion was regarding the newbies, me being a newbie myself
                  to FOSS and LUG wanted to speak up for the first time.
                  As far as i know there are definitely not many people in the student
                  category who even have a clue of what FOSS is all about.
                  So as Mr.Atul says it would be lot better if one the LUG meet would be
                  entirely for the intro to FOSS.
                  Better even if it happens in the previous month of the FOSS.IN event so that
                  students (and even other newbies) having known about FOSS might also turn up
                  at the event.

                  Even if the LUG meet is may be for just half day (or even less) i guess the
                  introduction to foss concepts at the meet would be enough for interested ppl
                  to follow up and join foss users team...

                  hoping to hear about a "intro to foss meet" in bangalore....

                  Cheers,

                  Vinay
                • aswin sahadevan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 11, 2007
                    Great Idea, something like this has to happen. VTU are never sure of when
                    they should conduct their exams, their site <http://vtu.ac.in/> is just as
                    confusing as the question papers they set. There is no info on the site as
                    to when they are going to conduct their semester exams for engineering
                    students.
                    -aswin.