Re: [foss.in] FOSS.IN/2007: Event Announcement

  • Roshan
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
      --- Atul Chitnis wrote:

      > FOSS.IN/2007 will be held from December 4th to
      > December 8th. That's
      > Tuesday through Saturday.

      So, this time it is 3 + 2 = 5 days of FOSS! Cool!

      > The venue will be (for the most part) the National
      > Science Symposium
      > Centre (NSSC) of the Indian Institute of Science,
      > Bangalore.

      Same as last year? I guess?

      > Talk Feedback System:

      This would be something new. I wonder, how this will
      be managed? Is there a system already in place?

      > As it was last year, advocacy and basic introductory
      > talks will not be
      > accepted. This is to avoid the "preaching to the
      > choir" problem, as well
      > as avoid duplicating the efforts of other FOSS
      > events in India.

      But won't they still make their way through some or
      the other medium? Only if we look at things a bit
      differently?

      > PROJECT DAYS:

      > Project Days will be full day sessions on a single
      > topic, and the topic
      > will be a specific FOSS project. Led by project
      > leaders/contributors, the
      > sessions will expose audiences to the current
      > stateand future plans of the
      > project, and show where and how people can get
      > involved. Workshops are
      > encouraged to be part of such sessions.

      > Day Sessions:
      >
      > KDE, Gnome, Fedora, Ubuntu/Debian, OpenOffice,
      > IndLinux, etc.

      Aren't these /too/ broad for the project days?

      > COSTS:

      > As every year, we are restricting costs to cover
      only > direct expenses on
      > delegates.

      > Because of the multi-part nature of the conference,
      > conference fees will
      > be as follows:

      > 1. Main Conference only : Rs.500

      > 2. Project Days only : Rs.300

      > 3. Main Conference + Project Days: Rs.750

      Couldn't costs be lowered or be different for
      different categories of audience (I'm at the risk of
      being booted out of the list -- on this question, but
      I'll ask this because, I read about this in a local
      newspaper in B'lore during foss.in/2006) [Just curious
      to know]

      And since there are 5 days of fun at g33kdom, I
      assume, the need of volunteers would be huge!

      Though I'm sure, I would be able to make it this year
      (ofcourse -- why does it matter? It only matters to me
      ;) ) I would love to be a part of it.

      > Our primary objective is to get more Indians
      > involved, and to get them to interact with people
      > from all over the world

      I would also like to make a small suggestion.
      Engineering courses may have FOSS in their syllabus in
      B'lore Univ (I'm a Mum-univ PG student). If they
      don't, a workshop could probably introduce them to
      FOSS and get them started. BSc graduates in Computer
      Science / Information Technology, could also take
      advantage of this.

      --
      FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in

      5, 50, 500, 5000. Store N number of mails in your inbox. Go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
        On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Roshan wrote:

        > But won't they still make their way through some or
        > the other medium? Only if we look at things a bit
        > differently?

        No, we do not want to duplicate the efforts of other events and those of
        the LUGs. No newbie or advocacy talks. This is a developer/contributor
        conference.

        >> KDE, Gnome, Fedora, Ubuntu/Debian, OpenOffice,
        >> IndLinux, etc.
        >
        > Aren't these /too/ broad for the project days?

        Nope. try and understand what we are trying to do. We want people to
        contribute to the projects. Also, these are just examples.

        > Couldn't costs be lowered or be different for
        > different categories of audience (I'm at the risk of
        > being booted out of the list -- on this question, but
        > I'll ask this because, I read about this in a local
        > newspaper in B'lore during foss.in/2006) [Just curious
        > to know]

        By now, you probably know that there is no scope for lowering costs. Food
        and facilities cost real money.

        And we do not have "categories" of audiences. All people are the same to
        us.

        The article you read in a paper was based on a feedback of ONE person who
        had not registered online and hence had to pay Rs.1000 instead of Rs.500.
        Unfortunately, the person was a close friend of a journalist, and that
        journalist wrote a story on a sample of 1, indicating that *everyone* had
        to pay Rs.1000.

        At the closing ceremony, Mahendra revealed that out out approximately 2000
        people, only 23 paid Rs.1000 because they had not registered online.

        > And since there are 5 days of fun at g33kdom, I
        > assume, the need of volunteers would be huge!

        It always is. However, the need is for *working* volunteers, if you know
        what I mean. ;)

        > I would also like to make a small suggestion.
        > Engineering courses may have FOSS in their syllabus in
        > B'lore Univ (I'm a Mum-univ PG student). If they
        > don't, a workshop could probably introduce them to
        > FOSS and get them started. BSc graduates in Computer
        > Science / Information Technology, could also take
        > advantage of this.

        So not only do we replicate the efforts of other conferences and LUGs, but
        we replicate the efforts of universities and colleges as well? :)

        We have to pick our battles, or we lose the war. The focus of this
        conference is development and contribution, not newbie orientation. And
        even if were to allow this, the rest of the conference would be a complete
        loss to them.

        If someone comes to FOSS.IN, it is expected that s/he knows what s/he is
        coming for. There are four months to the event - plenty of time to attend
        LUG meets, surf the net, and learn the basics.

        Atul
      • Srinivasan
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
          Atul Chitnis wrote:

          > So not only do we replicate the efforts of other conferences and LUGs,
          > but
          > we replicate the efforts of universities and colleges as well? :)
          > If someone comes to FOSS.IN, it is expected that s/he knows what s/he is
          > coming for. There are four months to the event - plenty of time to attend
          > LUG meets, surf the net, and learn the basics.

          Dear Roshan: B'lore Univ and many other universities have Linux as part
          of their curriculum and many of the C/C++ Labs use gcc / Linux set up.
          Of course, this is not exactly FOSS -- but we have to take things as
          they come.

          NRCFOSS has introduced two FOSS elective courses for Anna University
          (Tamil Nadu) engg colleges. For details, please visit
          http://nrcfoss.org.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=69
          <http://nrcfoss.org.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=69>
          We have started interactions in other states / universities. In Mumbai,
          you could check up with the NRCFOSS node at VJTI (Prof Jitendra Shah).
          You can also send me a mail <srinivasan@...>

          As part of the awareness, we organize seminars / workshops / training
          programmes in colleges. In Tamilnadu, we make full use of the Chennai
          Lug members have been very active in the college front. We also tend to
          take the local help in other regions. As Atul says, let us use the
          intervening 4 months (actually only Aug-Sep, since studens will get into
          exam mode thereafter) -- to conduct talks/training sessions. Long term
          aim : to introduce the students/staff to FOSS and get them involved in
          usage & contribution. Short term aim: get at least a handful of them
          excited enough to attend FOSS.IN.

          Why not suggest to the colleges to make an industry visit to Bangalore
          during that time?

          with best wishes,
          Srinivasan, Project Scientist - NRCFOSS
        • nish_cool123
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 7, 2007
            arent there any bangalore university(vtu affliated) for
            interaction...and if there just include some of the names...
          • S h i v
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
              On 8/5/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:

              > 1. Main Conference only : Rs.500

              The foss.in seems to be oblivious to all the inflation and price rise
              that has been happening all around, especially in the last 3-4 years
              !!!

              ~Shiv
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, S h i v wrote:

                > On 8/5/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> 1. Main Conference only : Rs.500
                >>

                > The foss.in seems to be oblivious to all the inflation and price rise
                > that has been happening all around, especially in the last 3-4 years
                > !!!

                (sigh)

                Thanks, Shiv. It's nice when someone notices, rather than blindly lashing
                out at us for charging *anything* at all to feed people during the event,
                give them goodies.

                I was very hurt last year when someone in the audience stood up and
                in essence accused us of profiteering by "over charging". And when I
                pointed out that no other conference charges as little and gives as much
                as we do, that was twisted into my being "arrogant" about the "issue".

                Atul
              • chaturvedi gaurav
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                  Hi,

                  > The foss.in seems to be oblivious to all the inflation and price rise
                  >that has been happening all around, especially in the last 3-4 years
                  >!!!
                  >
                  >~Shiv

                  Well you can always volunteer for the event and earn your keep, and its more fun that way.
                  I'll be comming from Bombay, so my traveling expense will be many times the registration fee :-S

                  take cair and bye

                • Nilang Naidu
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                    Yes i would agree with atul on this, i may be new all this confrence and all
                    but foss.in is by far the cheapest confrence i have ever attened. linuxasia
                    is costier then this.

                    Nilang Naidu

                  • Roshan
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                      --- Atul Chitnis wrote:

                      Disclaimer: I don't intend to _drag_ this issue.

                      > On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, S h i v wrote:
                      >
                      > > On 8/5/07, Atul Chitnis
                      > wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> 1. Main Conference only : Rs.500
                      > >>

                      > > The foss.in seems to be oblivious to all the
                      > inflation and price rise
                      > > that has been happening all around, especially in
                      > the last 3-4 years
                      > > !!!
                      >
                      > (sigh)
                      >
                      > Thanks, Shiv. It's nice when someone notices, rather
                      > than blindly lashing
                      > out at us for charging *anything* at all to feed
                      > people during the event,
                      > give them goodies.

                      I do agree, that "free" entry *wouldn't* be good too.
                      In a way, /charging/ filters the intended audience.

                      However, with Sponsors, (huge lists - last year), all
                      that I'm saying is the entry cost could be lowered.

                      The demographics of audience is put up after the event
                      - therefore, there are different categories of the
                      intended audience - even if the event considers
                      everyone the same.

                      --
                      FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
                      ubunturos @ freenode

                      Try the revolutionary next-gen Yahoo! Mail. Go to http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/dc/landing
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                        On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Roshan wrote:

                        > However, with Sponsors, (huge lists - last year), all
                        > that I'm saying is the entry cost could be lowered.

                        My dear friend - if it wasn't for the sponsors, the entry would Rs.5,000
                        per head, not Rs.500. Do you have *any* idea what it takes to run an event
                        like this?

                        > The demographics of audience is put up after the event
                        > - therefore, there are different categories of the
                        > intended audience - even if the event considers
                        > everyone the same.

                        We do not categorize audiences. I am sorry if you feel that way. Those
                        "classifications" only represent what the delegates categorize themselves
                        as. We don't do it, and these categories in no way influence the event
                        other than telling us what people are interested in.

                        I am also surprised that this topic comes up every year. Somehow, people
                        seem to believe that these discussions on the list are the starting point
                        of the event planning, and that things like this can be changed at this
                        point.

                        Let me assure you, they cannot be.

                        There are fundamental things that we have to take into consideration half
                        a year before discussions start here, in order to be able to plan the
                        event. The cost to us per person attending is one of these things. And I
                        can assure you that the cost per person is far higher than what we ask
                        delegates to pay.

                        Now can we move on? Or do we want to continue discussing this same old
                        tired topic over and over and over again?

                        F O S S . I N / 2 0 0 7
                        India's Premier FOSS Conference
                        December 4-8, 2007
                        Bangalore, India
                        http://foss.in
                      • Kartik Mistry
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                          On 8/8/07, Roshan <d_rosh2001@...> wrote:
                          > Disclaimer: I don't intend to _drag_ this issue.

                          This means, You are dragging it right now! Roshan, This is not
                          ILUG-BOM mailing list.

                          > I do agree, that "free" entry *wouldn't* be good too.
                          > In a way, /charging/ filters the intended audience.
                          >
                          > However, with Sponsors, (huge lists - last year), all
                          > that I'm saying is the entry cost could be lowered.

                          Lower to what? 101 Rs? 201 Rs? Come on, you live in Mumbai and know
                          how life is costly. Take a look at LinuxAsia or see other
                          International conf. charges.

                          > The demographics of audience is put up after the event
                          > - therefore, there are different categories of the
                          > intended audience - even if the event considers
                          > everyone the same.

                          My wife (and yes, Kavin ;)) attended event without any question. She
                          is neither Mailing list flamer nor student.

                          Follow tazz or save money and yes, polish 'face changer script' till
                          then. I still have some bugs for tonight.

                          Kartik Mistry || GPG: 0xD1028C8D || IRC: kart_
                          kartikmistry.org/blog || kartikm.wordpress.com
                        • Srichand Pendyala
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                            On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 15:37 +0100, Roshan wrote:
                            > I do agree, that "free" entry *wouldn't* be good too.
                            > In a way, /charging/ filters the intended audience.
                            >
                            > However, with Sponsors, (huge lists - last year), all
                            > that I'm saying is the entry cost could be lowered.

                            As someone who's organized a (series of free and open source software)
                            conference(s), I can tell you that it simply isn't possible. I'm sure
                            nothing would please the conference organizers more than to be able to
                            lower entry costs. But it simply can't be done.

                            Firstly, sponsors don't pay until some months after the event and thus
                            the money isn't always assured.

                            Secondly, sponsor costs generally cover the much more massive costs of
                            renting the event venue, internet access and paying for airfare and stay
                            for speakers among many other things.

                            Thirdly, 500 isn't much. Not for the organizers anyway. The 500 you pay,
                            covers for the freebies that you get, the delegate kit, your food, id
                            tags and covers(yes, they cost money too!) for 3 days. And all this
                            still assumes that you're not actually paying for attending the event.
                            You're only paying for what you're physically "consuming", if you will.

                            I wouldn't be surprised if the conference organizers are subsidizing
                            delegates at their loss. Frankly I find it a quite surprising that its
                            still only 500 for this year too!
                            FOSS.IN continues to be the cheapest International free and open source
                            software conference in the world. This year too!

                            > The demographics of audience is put up after the event
                            > - therefore, there are different categories of the
                            > intended audience - even if the event considers
                            > everyone the same.

                            How does that affect charging delegates?

                            > --
                            > FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
                            > ubunturos @ freenode
                            >

                            > Try the revolutionary next-gen Yahoo! Mail. Go to http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/dc/landing

                            --
                            Srichand Pendyala
                            MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology
                            http://srichand.net.in/

                            Do something unusual today. Pay a bill.

                          • Roshan
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                              --- Atul Chitnis wrote:

                              > Do you have *any* idea what it
                              > takes to run an event
                              > like this?

                              I must admit, I don't. (So, would the response be "So
                              please shut up and come up with something better") ;)

                              > We do not categorize audiences. I am sorry if you
                              > feel that way. Those
                              > "classifications" only represent what the delegates
                              > categorize themselves
                              > as. We don't do it, and these categories in no way
                              > influence the event
                              > other than telling us what people are interested in.

                              Umm, ok.

                              > I am also surprised that this topic comes up every
                              > year.

                              Any reason, why? (BTW, my reply to the initial
                              announcement had other questions too - however, the
                              entry fee issue overlapped others)

                              > Now can we move on? Or do we want to continue
                              > discussing this same old
                              > tired topic over and over and over again?

                              Let us move on.

                              /me forgets about the cost issue.

                              BTW, I have sent an archive (tar.gz) containing the
                              script for changing the banner for every visit. Looks
                              like there aren't enough images for it?

                              --
                              FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
                              ubunturos @ freenode

                              Why delete messages? Unlimited storage is just a click away. Go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html
                            • Dr. Tarique Sani
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
                                Srichand Pendyala wrote:
                                > Firstly, sponsors don't pay until some months after the event and thus
                                > the money isn't always assured.

                                Harsh reality - some never pay up let alone delay :(
                                > Frankly I find it a quite surprising that its
                                > still only 500 for this year too!
                                > FOSS.IN continues to be the cheapest International free and open source
                                > software conference in the world. This year too!

                                Thanks for noticing.....

                                Cheers
                                Tarique

                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
                                  On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 12:53 +0530, Dr. Tarique Sani wrote:
                                  > Srichand Pendyala wrote:
                                  > > Firstly, sponsors don't pay until some months after the event and thus
                                  > > the money isn't always assured.
                                  > >
                                  > Harsh reality - some never pay up let alone delay :(

                                  Been there, seen that. *Cough* Dell *Cough*

                                  Srichand

                                  --
                                  Srichand Pendyala <srichand.pendyala@...>

                                • Shyam Mani
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
                                    On 8/6/07, Pradyumna Sampath <pradysam@...> wrote:

                                    > ROTFLMAO !! That is by far the most hilarious typo I
                                    > have ever come across !!

                                    I'm sure he meant to type thong and ended up typing underwear by mistake.

                                    <g,d &r> :p

                                    --
                                    Shyam Mani | http://xinetd.accosted.net/
                                    Gentoo Dev | http://dev.gentoo.org/~fox2mike
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 13, 2007
                                      > PROJECT DAYS:

                                      Will there be separate "Call for Projects" for the project days ?
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 13, 2007
                                        On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Krishna Sashank wrote:

                                        > Will there be separate "Call for Projects" for the project days ?

                                        Yes - Shreyas (who is the pointman for Project Days) has promised to post
                                        it late tonight, after running it past the rest of the team.