FOSS.IN/2007: Event Announcement

    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
      Dear all,

      It's that time of the year again, when we reveal details about this
      year's FOSS.IN.

      FOSS.IN/2007 will be held from December 4th to December 8th. That's
      Tuesday through Saturday.

      The venue will be (for the most part) the National Science Symposium
      Centre (NSSC) of the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.

      As always, there are plenty of changes, improvements and new things at the
      event.

      The event itself is in two major parts:

      - The Main Conference, which is on December 6/7/8 (Thu/Fri/Sat)
      - "Project Days", which are on December 4/5 (Tue/Wed)

      The formats of each of these are very different from each other, but both
      are integral parts of the event. Both will take place at the main venue.

      THE MAIN CONFERENCE

      The Main Conference (Dec 6/7/8) is similar to the format of the event in
      previous years, with some dramatic differences:

      No Tracks:

      Unlike in previous years, the main conference will not have tracks. Each
      session will be self-contained. While talks will still be classified
      according to the broad topic, they will not all be concentrated in one
      hall. This will encourage movement between halls and getting exposed to a
      wider variety of topics.

      Talk slots:

      Each slot will be 90 minutes instead of the usual 60 minutes. However,
      this does not mean that talks will be that long - each talk will be about
      45 minutes talk time, and about 30 minutes discussion time. And there is a
      15 minute buffer between talk slots to allow audiences (and speakers) to
      move between halls, grab a coffee or a snack, etc.

      In addition, the main conference will only use the 750, 120, and 90 seater
      halls. The 250 seater is still being considered - we will use it only if
      the number of high-quality talks selected exceeds our capacity. The 60
      seater hall will not be used for talks (we have other plans for it).

      Talk Depth:

      The Main Conference will differentiate itself from previous years in the
      way talks are selected. Most of the talks will be by recognised experts in
      their fields. Because our Talk Slot format dramatically reduces the number
      of talks from previous years, we can afford to be choosy. And we will be.
      While we will still have a formal Call for Participation (CfP) for all
      talks, many talks will be invited, and others will be brutally scrutinised
      for depth, context and value to audiences.

      Talk Feedback System:

      In addition, we are introducing a talk rating/feedback system that will
      allow people to comment on and rate talks online after the talk completes.
      The feedback system will be moderated and authenticated (you know, to
      prevent our friends selling body-part enhancements from turning this into
      a market place :), but the comments will be public and permanent.

      This will achieve two things:

      - The feedbacks for each talk will act as a reference for the speakers, if
      they need to prove their bonafides as speakers, they simply have to
      point at the FOSS.IN site where information about the talk and the
      feedback from the audiences will be recorded.

      - This will encourage speakers to be far better prepared than some have
      been in the past. A last-minute preparation speaker is almost certainly
      going to get bad feedback, so the tag "was a speaker at FOSS.IN" can
      work against the speaker if s/he wasn't prepared, but work wonders for
      those speakers who do prepare, deliver an in-depth talk and who
      interacts with the audience.

      Feedback will be on a per-talk basis, not per-speaker, but multiple-talks
      per speaker will be an exception anyway - you'd have to be a superstar to
      achieve that. :)

      Focus:

      Both the Main conference and Project Days (described below) will focus on
      development and contribution to FOSS Projects. General talks will be
      limited to a few, and in general the nature/background of the speaker will
      decide whether the talk will be selected.

      As it was last year, advocacy and basic introductory talks will not be
      accepted. This is to avoid the "preaching to the choir" problem, as well
      as avoid duplicating the efforts of other FOSS events in India.

      PROJECT DAYS:

      Project Days (Dec 4/5) are new to FOSS.IN. Loosely based on the
      mini-conferences made popular by events such as Linux.conf.au (LCA), these
      will be an implementation of the "topics" idea proposed in 2005.

      Project Days will be full day sessions on a single topic, and the topic
      will be a specific FOSS project. Led by project leaders/contributors, the
      sessions will expose audiences to the current stateand future plans of the
      project, and show where and how people can get involved. Workshops are
      encouraged to be part of such sessions.

      The number of projects will be limited. As the 750 seater hall will not be
      used for Project Days sessions, sessions will take place in the 60/90/120
      and 250 seater halls. That means there can be (2 days x 4 halls)=8 Project
      Days Sessions.

      To makeit clear what we are looking at, here are some examples of Project
      Day Sessions:

      KDE, Gnome, Fedora, Ubuntu/Debian, OpenOffice, IndLinux, etc.

      Here are examples of topics that are NOT eligible for a Project Days
      Session:

      Web Development, Developing in PHP/Python/Perl/Ruby, System
      Administration, etc.

      If look closely, will that we are targeting contribution to the project,
      not deployment of the project. For example, "Developing Python" is a good
      topic, "Developing with Python" is not.

      Talk slots:

      Talk slots will be 1 hour in length, with no more than 45 minutes talk
      time. This works because unlike the Main conference, all talks related to
      the topic are in the same hall.

      However, actual distribution of talks will be decided by both Team FOSS.IN
      and the Session organizers. Since there will also be workshops involved,
      things have to be a bit more flexible.

      Talk/Workshop selection:

      The actual Project Day sessions will be decided over the next two weeks.

      First, discuss on the mailing list, identify topics, scope of topics and
      who possible speakers could be.

      Next, formal Project Days Session Proposals have to be made. These
      proposals will be evaluated for completeness, scope, context and other
      factors, very similar to the way talks will be selected for the Main
      Conference.

      The 8 sessions will then be selected, session organizers appointed and
      sessions will be announced, and the CfP will open. People will now be able
      to submit talk proposals, choosing either the Main Conference or one of
      the Project Day sessions.

      OTHER FEATURES:

      The FOSS.IN HackCenter:

      The Hack Center is a new addition to FOSS.IN this year.

      It is a large area which will be open throughout the conference duration,
      from 9:00am to 7:00pm, where people can get together to work on FOSS
      projects.

      The Center will be provided with PCs, power, switched networks and
      internet connectivity, tables and chairs.

      Rules

      There are a few rules that are expected to be followed:

      1. This is not a download or surfing centre. People are not expected to
      settle in and use the bandwidth to download stuff from the net. The
      area is provided for people to get together to work on FOSS projects.

      2. PCs provided will be few. In general, there will be one PC per group -
      people are encouraged to bring their own laptops.

      3. This is not a general community assembly hall. People are requested to
      only use this hall for actual development work, not for general
      sit-downs and discussions. For discussions, BoF tents are provided.

      BoFs:

      Birds-of-a-feather sessions will happen throughout the main conference, in
      semi-open tents equipped with wireless LAN, power and whiteboards.

      PARTY@...:

      New to FOSS.IN is a social evening on Friday, the 7th of December. The
      party will take place at an off-site location, close to the event venue
      (actual venue will be announced close to the event).

      This party is open to all participants of FOSS.IN - speakers, delegates,
      exhibitors, sponsors and of course volunteers. There will be a nominal
      cover charge that will be paid by people wishing to attend the party, and
      it is optional - only people who wish to attend will have to pay.

      Exhibition:

      As every year, there will be an exhibition of commercial and
      non-commercial, FOSS-related products. Details will appear on the website.

      COSTS:

      As every year, we are restricting costs to cover only direct expenses on
      delegates.

      Because of the multi-part nature of the conference, conference fees will
      be as follows:

      1. Main Conference only : Rs.500

      2. Project Days only : Rs.300

      3. Main Conference + Project Days: Rs.750

      4. Optional Party@...: TBA

      Conditions:

      Conference Swag (like last year's mug, T-shorts, etc.) is only for people
      attending the main conference.

      All packages include Lunch, tea/coffee and snacks for each day.

      Corporate Support Package:

      In addition, there is an optional "Corporate Support" package, to help
      companies support the event. This package is identical package 3 above
      (Main Conference + Project Days), at Rs.3000 per head.

      This package is optional and meant for organizations who wish to help
      support the event. Attendance of the Party@... is included in the
      package, as well as all other benefits.

      In addition, all passes and other materials will be sent to the
      organization before the event, so that such sponsored attendees will not
      have to stand in the queue to register at the conference.

      Additional funds raised this way will go towards additional facilities for
      delegates, subsidising the party, etc.

      Travel Assistance:

      As usual, we have a limited budget for aiding selected speakers to travel
      to Bangalore. Speakers are requested to first attempt to get sponsorship
      from other sources before asking for Travel Assistance.

      All speakers at the event (Main Conference or Project days) get
      complimentary passes to the event, and other speaker-specific goodies.

      WEBSITE:

      The website for the event will open in the next 24 hours. It will not
      contain all details yet - this will improve as we pin down various things,
      and as feedback and suggestions come in on the mailing list.

      You are best served by adding http://foss.in/rss to your newsreader of
      choice to keep track of changes on the website, and of course to subscribe
      to the FOSS.IN mailing list.

      This note does not cover a lot of details, so feel free to start asking
      questions, discussing things, making suggestions, etc. Note that not every
      suggestion can be implemented, so don't take it personal if we have to
      reject one. Also note that FOSS.IN is one of four international FOSS
      events (the others being Linux.Conf.Au, OLS and now Linuxconf.EU), and
      because of this there are certain things we can do, and some which we
      cannot.

      As usual, we ask people to leave the politics at the door, and help make
      this an enjoyable event for everyone. A lot of hard work has gone into
      this event already, and a lot more will happen in the months leading up to
      it.

      For now, the best way to help is to spread the word (buttons, banners,
      etc. will be on the website, as will be PDF brochures, posters, etc.), and
      to discuss on the FOSS.IN mailing list.

      Please remember - this is an to get people get involved in FOSS
      development and contribution. Our primary objective is to get more Indians
      involved, and to get them to interact with people from all over the world.

      Expect a lot more news from us as time goes by. Tons of stuff up our
      sleeves. :)

      Cheerio!

      Atul Chitnis
      Project Lead
      FOSS.IN
      http://foss.in
    • Biju Chacko
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
        Atul Chitnis wrote:
        > Conference Swag (like last year's mug, T-shorts, etc.) is only for people
        > attending the main conference.

        T-shorts? Are those something like Y-fronts?

        ;-)

        -- b
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
          On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Biju Chacko wrote:

          > Atul Chitnis wrote:
          >> Conference Swag (like last year's mug, T-shorts, etc.) is only for people
          >> attending the main conference.
          >
          > T-shorts? Are those something like Y-fronts?

          ROTFL!

          Gimme a break - 1 typo in that entire long mail :)

          Atul
        • Philip Tellis
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
            On 06/08/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:

            > Gimme a break - 1 typo in that entire long mail :)

            There were far more than one typo in that mail, but we'll let the rest
            of them pass.
          • Biju Chacko
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
              Atul Chitnis wrote:

              > On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Biju Chacko wrote:
              >
              > > Atul Chitnis wrote:
              > >> Conference Swag (like last year's mug, T-shorts, etc.) is only for
              > people
              > >> attending the main conference.
              > >
              > > T-shorts? Are those something like Y-fronts?
              >
              > ROTFL!
              >
              > Gimme a break - 1 typo in that entire long mail :)

              Damn! Does that mean no FOSS.in underwear? I was so looking forward to that.

              -- b
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Biju Chacko wrote:

                > Damn! Does that mean no FOSS.in underwear? I was so looking forward to that.

                Heh - you asked for that one. Make sure you are at the party on Dec 7th.
                :D

                Atul Chitnis | mail@...
                Bangalore, India | http://atulchitnis.net
              • daiveek@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                  I guess we should stop this mail-chain at this point. We could continue if there is something more interesting than shorts / fronts :-)

                  Janakiram
                  Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel
                • Pradyumna Sampath
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                    --- Biju Chacko <botsie@...> wrote:

                    > Damn! Does that mean no FOSS.in underwear? I was so
                    > looking forward to that.

                    ROTFLMAO !! That is by far the most hilarious typo I
                    have ever come across !!

                    regards
                    /prady

                    Visit me at http://rtns.org/prady/
                    Mail : pradysam (at) yahoo (dot) co.in

                  • Roshan
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                      --- Atul Chitnis wrote:

                      > FOSS.IN/2007 will be held from December 4th to
                      > December 8th. That's
                      > Tuesday through Saturday.

                      So, this time it is 3 + 2 = 5 days of FOSS! Cool!

                      > The venue will be (for the most part) the National
                      > Science Symposium
                      > Centre (NSSC) of the Indian Institute of Science,
                      > Bangalore.

                      Same as last year? I guess?

                      > Talk Feedback System:

                      This would be something new. I wonder, how this will
                      be managed? Is there a system already in place?

                      > As it was last year, advocacy and basic introductory
                      > talks will not be
                      > accepted. This is to avoid the "preaching to the
                      > choir" problem, as well
                      > as avoid duplicating the efforts of other FOSS
                      > events in India.

                      But won't they still make their way through some or
                      the other medium? Only if we look at things a bit
                      differently?

                      > PROJECT DAYS:

                      > Project Days will be full day sessions on a single
                      > topic, and the topic
                      > will be a specific FOSS project. Led by project
                      > leaders/contributors, the
                      > sessions will expose audiences to the current
                      > stateand future plans of the
                      > project, and show where and how people can get
                      > involved. Workshops are
                      > encouraged to be part of such sessions.

                      > Day Sessions:
                      >
                      > KDE, Gnome, Fedora, Ubuntu/Debian, OpenOffice,
                      > IndLinux, etc.

                      Aren't these /too/ broad for the project days?

                      > COSTS:

                      > As every year, we are restricting costs to cover
                      only > direct expenses on
                      > delegates.

                      > Because of the multi-part nature of the conference,
                      > conference fees will
                      > be as follows:

                      > 1. Main Conference only : Rs.500

                      > 2. Project Days only : Rs.300

                      > 3. Main Conference + Project Days: Rs.750

                      Couldn't costs be lowered or be different for
                      different categories of audience (I'm at the risk of
                      being booted out of the list -- on this question, but
                      I'll ask this because, I read about this in a local
                      newspaper in B'lore during foss.in/2006) [Just curious
                      to know]

                      And since there are 5 days of fun at g33kdom, I
                      assume, the need of volunteers would be huge!

                      Though I'm sure, I would be able to make it this year
                      (ofcourse -- why does it matter? It only matters to me
                      ;) ) I would love to be a part of it.

                      > Our primary objective is to get more Indians
                      > involved, and to get them to interact with people
                      > from all over the world

                      I would also like to make a small suggestion.
                      Engineering courses may have FOSS in their syllabus in
                      B'lore Univ (I'm a Mum-univ PG student). If they
                      don't, a workshop could probably introduce them to
                      FOSS and get them started. BSc graduates in Computer
                      Science / Information Technology, could also take
                      advantage of this.

                      --
                      FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in

                      5, 50, 500, 5000. Store N number of mails in your inbox. Go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                        On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Roshan wrote:

                        > But won't they still make their way through some or
                        > the other medium? Only if we look at things a bit
                        > differently?

                        No, we do not want to duplicate the efforts of other events and those of
                        the LUGs. No newbie or advocacy talks. This is a developer/contributor
                        conference.

                        >> KDE, Gnome, Fedora, Ubuntu/Debian, OpenOffice,
                        >> IndLinux, etc.
                        >
                        > Aren't these /too/ broad for the project days?

                        Nope. try and understand what we are trying to do. We want people to
                        contribute to the projects. Also, these are just examples.

                        > Couldn't costs be lowered or be different for
                        > different categories of audience (I'm at the risk of
                        > being booted out of the list -- on this question, but
                        > I'll ask this because, I read about this in a local
                        > newspaper in B'lore during foss.in/2006) [Just curious
                        > to know]

                        By now, you probably know that there is no scope for lowering costs. Food
                        and facilities cost real money.

                        And we do not have "categories" of audiences. All people are the same to
                        us.

                        The article you read in a paper was based on a feedback of ONE person who
                        had not registered online and hence had to pay Rs.1000 instead of Rs.500.
                        Unfortunately, the person was a close friend of a journalist, and that
                        journalist wrote a story on a sample of 1, indicating that *everyone* had
                        to pay Rs.1000.

                        At the closing ceremony, Mahendra revealed that out out approximately 2000
                        people, only 23 paid Rs.1000 because they had not registered online.

                        > And since there are 5 days of fun at g33kdom, I
                        > assume, the need of volunteers would be huge!

                        It always is. However, the need is for *working* volunteers, if you know
                        what I mean. ;)

                        > I would also like to make a small suggestion.
                        > Engineering courses may have FOSS in their syllabus in
                        > B'lore Univ (I'm a Mum-univ PG student). If they
                        > don't, a workshop could probably introduce them to
                        > FOSS and get them started. BSc graduates in Computer
                        > Science / Information Technology, could also take
                        > advantage of this.

                        So not only do we replicate the efforts of other conferences and LUGs, but
                        we replicate the efforts of universities and colleges as well? :)

                        We have to pick our battles, or we lose the war. The focus of this
                        conference is development and contribution, not newbie orientation. And
                        even if were to allow this, the rest of the conference would be a complete
                        loss to them.

                        If someone comes to FOSS.IN, it is expected that s/he knows what s/he is
                        coming for. There are four months to the event - plenty of time to attend
                        LUG meets, surf the net, and learn the basics.

                        Atul
                      • Srinivasan
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                          Atul Chitnis wrote:

                          > So not only do we replicate the efforts of other conferences and LUGs,
                          > but
                          > we replicate the efforts of universities and colleges as well? :)
                          > If someone comes to FOSS.IN, it is expected that s/he knows what s/he is
                          > coming for. There are four months to the event - plenty of time to attend
                          > LUG meets, surf the net, and learn the basics.

                          Dear Roshan: B'lore Univ and many other universities have Linux as part
                          of their curriculum and many of the C/C++ Labs use gcc / Linux set up.
                          Of course, this is not exactly FOSS -- but we have to take things as
                          they come.

                          NRCFOSS has introduced two FOSS elective courses for Anna University
                          (Tamil Nadu) engg colleges. For details, please visit
                          http://nrcfoss.org.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=69
                          <http://nrcfoss.org.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=69>
                          We have started interactions in other states / universities. In Mumbai,
                          you could check up with the NRCFOSS node at VJTI (Prof Jitendra Shah).
                          You can also send me a mail <srinivasan@...>

                          As part of the awareness, we organize seminars / workshops / training
                          programmes in colleges. In Tamilnadu, we make full use of the Chennai
                          Lug members have been very active in the college front. We also tend to
                          take the local help in other regions. As Atul says, let us use the
                          intervening 4 months (actually only Aug-Sep, since studens will get into
                          exam mode thereafter) -- to conduct talks/training sessions. Long term
                          aim : to introduce the students/staff to FOSS and get them involved in
                          usage & contribution. Short term aim: get at least a handful of them
                          excited enough to attend FOSS.IN.

                          Why not suggest to the colleges to make an industry visit to Bangalore
                          during that time?

                          with best wishes,
                          Srinivasan, Project Scientist - NRCFOSS
                        • nish_cool123
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 7, 2007
                            arent there any bangalore university(vtu affliated) for
                            interaction...and if there just include some of the names...
                          • S h i v
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                              On 8/5/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:

                              > 1. Main Conference only : Rs.500

                              The foss.in seems to be oblivious to all the inflation and price rise
                              that has been happening all around, especially in the last 3-4 years
                              !!!

                              ~Shiv
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, S h i v wrote:

                                > On 8/5/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> 1. Main Conference only : Rs.500
                                >>

                                > The foss.in seems to be oblivious to all the inflation and price rise
                                > that has been happening all around, especially in the last 3-4 years
                                > !!!

                                (sigh)

                                Thanks, Shiv. It's nice when someone notices, rather than blindly lashing
                                out at us for charging *anything* at all to feed people during the event,
                                give them goodies.

                                I was very hurt last year when someone in the audience stood up and
                                in essence accused us of profiteering by "over charging". And when I
                                pointed out that no other conference charges as little and gives as much
                                as we do, that was twisted into my being "arrogant" about the "issue".

                                Atul
                              • chaturvedi gaurav
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007

                                  > The foss.in seems to be oblivious to all the inflation and price rise
                                  >that has been happening all around, especially in the last 3-4 years
                                  >!!!
                                  >
                                  >~Shiv

                                  Well you can always volunteer for the event and earn your keep, and its more fun that way.
                                  I'll be comming from Bombay, so my traveling expense will be many times the registration fee :-S

                                  take cair and bye

                                • Nilang Naidu
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                    Yes i would agree with atul on this, i may be new all this confrence and all
                                    but foss.in is by far the cheapest confrence i have ever attened. linuxasia
                                    is costier then this.

                                    Nilang Naidu

                                  • Roshan
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                      --- Atul Chitnis wrote:

                                      Disclaimer: I don't intend to _drag_ this issue.

                                      > On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, S h i v wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > On 8/5/07, Atul Chitnis
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >>
                                      > >> 1. Main Conference only : Rs.500
                                      > >>

                                      > > The foss.in seems to be oblivious to all the
                                      > inflation and price rise
                                      > > that has been happening all around, especially in
                                      > the last 3-4 years
                                      > > !!!
                                      >
                                      > (sigh)
                                      >
                                      > Thanks, Shiv. It's nice when someone notices, rather
                                      > than blindly lashing
                                      > out at us for charging *anything* at all to feed
                                      > people during the event,
                                      > give them goodies.

                                      I do agree, that "free" entry *wouldn't* be good too.
                                      In a way, /charging/ filters the intended audience.

                                      However, with Sponsors, (huge lists - last year), all
                                      that I'm saying is the entry cost could be lowered.

                                      The demographics of audience is put up after the event
                                      - therefore, there are different categories of the
                                      intended audience - even if the event considers
                                      everyone the same.

                                      --
                                      FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
                                      ubunturos @ freenode

                                      Try the revolutionary next-gen Yahoo! Mail. Go to http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/dc/landing
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                        On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Roshan wrote:

                                        > However, with Sponsors, (huge lists - last year), all
                                        > that I'm saying is the entry cost could be lowered.

                                        My dear friend - if it wasn't for the sponsors, the entry would Rs.5,000
                                        per head, not Rs.500. Do you have *any* idea what it takes to run an event
                                        like this?

                                        > The demographics of audience is put up after the event
                                        > - therefore, there are different categories of the
                                        > intended audience - even if the event considers
                                        > everyone the same.

                                        We do not categorize audiences. I am sorry if you feel that way. Those
                                        "classifications" only represent what the delegates categorize themselves
                                        as. We don't do it, and these categories in no way influence the event
                                        other than telling us what people are interested in.

                                        I am also surprised that this topic comes up every year. Somehow, people
                                        seem to believe that these discussions on the list are the starting point
                                        of the event planning, and that things like this can be changed at this
                                        point.

                                        Let me assure you, they cannot be.

                                        There are fundamental things that we have to take into consideration half
                                        a year before discussions start here, in order to be able to plan the
                                        event. The cost to us per person attending is one of these things. And I
                                        can assure you that the cost per person is far higher than what we ask
                                        delegates to pay.

                                        Now can we move on? Or do we want to continue discussing this same old
                                        tired topic over and over and over again?

                                        F O S S . I N / 2 0 0 7
                                        India's Premier FOSS Conference
                                        December 4-8, 2007
                                        Bangalore, India
                                        http://foss.in
                                      • Kartik Mistry
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                          On 8/8/07, Roshan <d_rosh2001@...> wrote:
                                          > Disclaimer: I don't intend to _drag_ this issue.

                                          This means, You are dragging it right now! Roshan, This is not
                                          ILUG-BOM mailing list.

                                          > I do agree, that "free" entry *wouldn't* be good too.
                                          > In a way, /charging/ filters the intended audience.
                                          >
                                          > However, with Sponsors, (huge lists - last year), all
                                          > that I'm saying is the entry cost could be lowered.

                                          Lower to what? 101 Rs? 201 Rs? Come on, you live in Mumbai and know
                                          how life is costly. Take a look at LinuxAsia or see other
                                          International conf. charges.

                                          > The demographics of audience is put up after the event
                                          > - therefore, there are different categories of the
                                          > intended audience - even if the event considers
                                          > everyone the same.

                                          My wife (and yes, Kavin ;)) attended event without any question. She
                                          is neither Mailing list flamer nor student.

                                          Follow tazz or save money and yes, polish 'face changer script' till
                                          then. I still have some bugs for tonight.

                                          Kartik Mistry || GPG: 0xD1028C8D || IRC: kart_
                                          kartikmistry.org/blog || kartikm.wordpress.com
                                        • Srichand Pendyala
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                            On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 15:37 +0100, Roshan wrote:
                                            > I do agree, that "free" entry *wouldn't* be good too.
                                            > In a way, /charging/ filters the intended audience.
                                            >
                                            > However, with Sponsors, (huge lists - last year), all
                                            > that I'm saying is the entry cost could be lowered.

                                            As someone who's organized a (series of free and open source software)
                                            conference(s), I can tell you that it simply isn't possible. I'm sure
                                            nothing would please the conference organizers more than to be able to
                                            lower entry costs. But it simply can't be done.

                                            Firstly, sponsors don't pay until some months after the event and thus
                                            the money isn't always assured.

                                            Secondly, sponsor costs generally cover the much more massive costs of
                                            renting the event venue, internet access and paying for airfare and stay
                                            for speakers among many other things.

                                            Thirdly, 500 isn't much. Not for the organizers anyway. The 500 you pay,
                                            covers for the freebies that you get, the delegate kit, your food, id
                                            tags and covers(yes, they cost money too!) for 3 days. And all this
                                            still assumes that you're not actually paying for attending the event.
                                            You're only paying for what you're physically "consuming", if you will.

                                            I wouldn't be surprised if the conference organizers are subsidizing
                                            delegates at their loss. Frankly I find it a quite surprising that its
                                            still only 500 for this year too!
                                            FOSS.IN continues to be the cheapest International free and open source
                                            software conference in the world. This year too!

                                            > The demographics of audience is put up after the event
                                            > - therefore, there are different categories of the
                                            > intended audience - even if the event considers
                                            > everyone the same.

                                            How does that affect charging delegates?

                                            > --
                                            > FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
                                            > ubunturos @ freenode
                                            >

                                            > Try the revolutionary next-gen Yahoo! Mail. Go to http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/dc/landing

                                            --
                                            Srichand Pendyala
                                            MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology
                                            http://srichand.net.in/

                                            Do something unusual today. Pay a bill.

                                          • Roshan
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                              --- Atul Chitnis wrote:

                                              > Do you have *any* idea what it
                                              > takes to run an event
                                              > like this?

                                              I must admit, I don't. (So, would the response be "So
                                              please shut up and come up with something better") ;)

                                              > We do not categorize audiences. I am sorry if you
                                              > feel that way. Those
                                              > "classifications" only represent what the delegates
                                              > categorize themselves
                                              > as. We don't do it, and these categories in no way
                                              > influence the event
                                              > other than telling us what people are interested in.

                                              Umm, ok.

                                              > I am also surprised that this topic comes up every
                                              > year.

                                              Any reason, why? (BTW, my reply to the initial
                                              announcement had other questions too - however, the
                                              entry fee issue overlapped others)

                                              > Now can we move on? Or do we want to continue
                                              > discussing this same old
                                              > tired topic over and over and over again?

                                              Let us move on.

                                              /me forgets about the cost issue.

                                              BTW, I have sent an archive (tar.gz) containing the
                                              script for changing the banner for every visit. Looks
                                              like there aren't enough images for it?

                                              --
                                              FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
                                              ubunturos @ freenode

                                              Why delete messages? Unlimited storage is just a click away. Go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html
                                            • Dr. Tarique Sani
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
                                                Srichand Pendyala wrote:
                                                > Firstly, sponsors don't pay until some months after the event and thus
                                                > the money isn't always assured.

                                                Harsh reality - some never pay up let alone delay :(
                                                > Frankly I find it a quite surprising that its
                                                > still only 500 for this year too!
                                                > FOSS.IN continues to be the cheapest International free and open source
                                                > software conference in the world. This year too!

                                                Thanks for noticing.....

                                                Cheers
                                                Tarique

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
                                                  On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 12:53 +0530, Dr. Tarique Sani wrote:
                                                  > Srichand Pendyala wrote:
                                                  > > Firstly, sponsors don't pay until some months after the event and thus
                                                  > > the money isn't always assured.
                                                  > >
                                                  > Harsh reality - some never pay up let alone delay :(

                                                  Been there, seen that. *Cough* Dell *Cough*

                                                  Srichand

                                                  --
                                                  Srichand Pendyala <srichand.pendyala@...>

                                                • Shyam Mani
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
                                                    On 8/6/07, Pradyumna Sampath <pradysam@...> wrote:

                                                    > ROTFLMAO !! That is by far the most hilarious typo I
                                                    > have ever come across !!

                                                    I'm sure he meant to type thong and ended up typing underwear by mistake.

                                                    <g,d &r> :p

                                                    --
                                                    Shyam Mani | http://xinetd.accosted.net/
                                                    Gentoo Dev | http://dev.gentoo.org/~fox2mike
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Aug 13, 2007
                                                      > PROJECT DAYS:

                                                      Will there be separate "Call for Projects" for the project days ?
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 13, 2007
                                                        On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Krishna Sashank wrote:

                                                        > Will there be separate "Call for Projects" for the project days ?

                                                        Yes - Shreyas (who is the pointman for Project Days) has promised to post
                                                        it late tonight, after running it past the rest of the team.