Re: [foss.in] [Suggestion]: Behind the scenes

  • nishant gupta
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 20, 2007
      hi friends
      i was busy prep for exams.
      can someone mail me of whats new going on and when is foss conducted......
      thanks
      nishant

    • Arvind Yadav
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 20, 2007
        On 6/20/07, Surjo Das <surjodas@...> wrote:

        > Sent from Outlook 2007 on Windows Vista Ultimate....flame me !!!

        Flame you.... why? After my brief encounter with that beast, I feel sad for you.

        Arvind Yadav
      • Gopal V
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 21, 2007
          Dr. Tarique Sani wrote:
          > Roshan wrote:
          > > If someone has a digital camera you could record these
          > > specific events of setting up the venue a day prior to
          > > the event, someone getting angry over someone, some
          > > enjoying the fun of setting up the network, meetings,
          > > tension moments etc.
          > >
          > Good suggestions but you will be disappointed - everything runs
          > perfectly smoothly, in fact the event just works "out of the box". We
          > will be hard pressed to create such moments and that would hamper the
          > productivity of the team.

          Is not just personal conflict that makes interesting behind the
          scenes memories :)

          For example, does someone remember the lampshade which dropped off
          the ceiling & barely missing Hari ? (the previous day while kits
          were being packed).

          Cheers,
          Gopal
          --
          If I learn from my mistakes, pretty soon I'll know everything.
        • Harikrishnan
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 21, 2007
            Gopal V <gopalv82@...> wrote:

            >Is not just personal conflict that makes interesting behind the

            >scenes memories :)

            >For example, does someone remember the lampshade which dropped off

            >the ceiling & barely missing Hari ? (the previous day while kits

            >were being packed).

            This time if anyone is planning to shoot it, they might as well warn me in advance.
            :)

            -hari

            Once upon a time there was 1 GB storage on Yahoo! Mail. Go here for happy ending http://in.mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 21, 2007
              Wait till Mahendra documents the "nightwatchman" episode - years from now,
              I hope. :)

              Atul Chitnis | mail@...
              Bangalore, India | http://atulchitnis.net
            • Roshan
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 21, 2007
                --- Gopal V wrote:

                > Is not just personal conflict that makes interesting
                > behind the
                > scenes memories :)

                Somehow, the personal conflict thingie (in other forms
                as well) has take centre stage of behind the scenes of
                foss.in" in my email to the list. This wasn't the
                intent behind, "Behind the scenes".

                --
                FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
                S K Somaiya College of ASC- http://www.somaiya.edu/sksasc

                Did you know? You can CHAT without downloading messenger. Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php
              • Roshan
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 21, 2007

                  --- Harikrishnan wrote:

                  > This time if anyone is planning to shoot it, they
                  > might as well warn me in advance.
                  > :)

                  But this time, the lampshade is in its place and won't
                  fall down ;)

                  BTW, I recall an idea posted to the list last year as
                  well.

                  If Bangalore University runs a course similar to
                  Bachelors in Mass Media (B. M. M.: in Mumbai
                  University), the second year students could take up
                  "Behind the scenes of FOSS.IN/2007" as a documentary
                  assignment for their curriculum, thereby even focusing
                  on Free and Open Source Software.

                  --
                  FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
                  S K Somaiya College of ASC- http://www.somaiya.edu/sksasc
                  ubunturos @ freenode

                  http://in.answers.yahoo.com/
                • Arun Raghavan
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 21, 2007
                    On 6/21/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:
                    > Wait till Mahendra documents the "nightwatchman" episode - years from now,
                    > I hope. :)

                    And I'm not even going to _talk_ about wading in muck with a crimping
                    tool at 2 a.m. :)
                    --
                    Arun Raghavan
                    (http://nemesis.accosted.net)
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 21, 2007
                      On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Arun Raghavan wrote:

                      > And I'm not even going to _talk_ about wading in muck with a crimping
                      > tool at 2 a.m. :)

                      You mean that night when I got woken up at 3:30am, with a hassled Shreyas
                      at the other end of the phonecall asking "Dude, got a router?"

                      But nothing beats Gurunandan Bhat and his "laptop" (a gigantic IBM
                      netfinity server, 3 feet x 3 feet x 3 feet) that he carried on his lap in
                      the van to avoid it getting damaged. That was back in 1999 :)

                      Yeah, same time when Mahendra and Kartik struggled and finally got that
                      freaking Apple iMac to run Linux, and people coming up to them and asking
                      "how much is that monitor?"

                      Mahendra came close to homicide that day. :)

                      Oh, and how about us forgetting Russ Nelson at the airport last year?

                      Or Alan Cox and his taxi-driver from hell in 2005? :)

                      Or shanu standing on the rooftop of the JNTata, holding up an antenna,
                      desperately trying to get a connection to Reliance so that we would have
                      at least *some* internet connectivity at LB/2004? :)

                      Or the time we got slashdotted and Tarique announced it during his talk
                      and the crowds standing up and applauding?

                      Or me crawling around halls in 2005, plugging switches and routers back
                      into sockets, because the mutt of a sound guy had decided that "he didn't
                      need them" (and thereby bringing the entire network down)?

                      And don't get me started with "uh oh, on Gentoo sox seems to default to 8
                      Khz recording...."

                      And of course last year's "we moved heaven and earth to get those BoF
                      tents up, and forgot to order chairs????"

                      Ahhhh.... memories....

                      Atul Chitnis | mail@...
                      Bangalore, India | http://atulchitnis.net
                    • Philip Tellis
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 21, 2007
                        AC dropped bits saying:

                        > Oh, and how about us forgetting Russ Nelson at the airport last year?

                        Oh, if I'd known, I'd have taken him back to my place for a while.

                        --
                        "I changed my headlights the other day. I put in strobe lights instead! Now
                        when I drive at night, it looks like everyone else is standing still ..."
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 21, 2007
                          ...and you guys still maintain,
                          "Good suggestions but you will be disappointed - everything runs
                          perfectly smoothly, in fact the event just works "out of the box". We
                          will be hard pressed to create such moments" :)

                          > You mean that night when I got woken up at 3:30am, with a hassled Shreyas

                          > at the other end of the phonecall asking "Dude, got a router?"

                          Is anybody else reminded of Karunanidhi's Midnight-arrest-scene :P
                          Visual reminder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Newmidnightarrest.jpg )

                          An idea of equivalent, if not equal, reminders sounds good to me.

                          Bipin Upadhyay.

                          --
                          I'd love to change the world,
                          but they won't give me the source code :)

                        • Shreyas Srinivasan
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 21, 2007
                            On 6/22/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:
                            > On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Arun Raghavan wrote:
                            >
                            > Oh, and how about us forgetting Russ Nelson at the airport last year?
                            > Or me crawling around halls in 2005, plugging switches and routers back
                            > into sockets, because the mutt of a sound guy had decided that "he didn't
                            > need them" (and thereby bringing the entire network down)?
                            >
                            > And don't get me started with "uh oh, on Gentoo sox seems to default to 8
                            > Khz recording...."
                            >
                            > And of course last year's "we moved heaven and earth to get those BoF
                            > tents up, and forgot to order chairs????"

                            Oooh... That reminds me of a few too

                            Foss.in:2005 when the new sata hard drives werent working with the
                            kernel we were using. At 2 in the morning we were sitting and trying
                            to figure out if its worthwhile to start writing a driver right then. I think
                            Tejas even floated the idea that we should wake up Alan and see how
                            fast he can write one!

                            Standing on the iisc road waving at every taxi which goes by, hoping
                            that one of them had Christof Wittig! Sounds kinda fan boyish but the
                            fact was his talk was already 10 minutes late and the freaking taxi
                            driver didnt know anything about iisc.

                            Converting a live input from a camera into ascii art using aalib and caca
                            and projecting it live on the screen during the phenom show, only to be
                            asked by people why is the video telecast so grainy :(

                            --
                            Shreyas

                            --
                            CelAbrate your flaws
                          • Dr. Tarique Sani
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 21, 2007
                              Atul Chitnis wrote:
                              > Or the time we got slashdotted and Tarique announced it during his talk
                              > and the crowds standing up and applauding?

                              And then someone asking what is Slashdot?
                              :)

                              Tarique

                              PHP Applications for E-Biz: http://www.sanisoft.com
                              Coppermine Picture Gallery: http://coppermine.sf.net