Photo/Video licenses again

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2007
      For a project that we are working on for FOSS.IN/2007, we are hunting for
      lots of photos and videos of various FOSS.IN (and Linux Bangalore) events
      that we can use.

      We have found many, but unfortunately can't use most of them because they
      are not licensed in any way that we can use.

      Could you take a few moments and update the licenses of your photos on
      Flickr to Creative Commons (Attribution-ShareAlike)? Ditto your videos on
      Google Videos or YouTube? On Flickr, just drag all the photos into the
      Organizer, then mass edit the license.

      Please note that we cannot include any photos or videos that are marked
      "All Rights Reserved" in our project.

      After you have made your license change, please drop a note here saying
      that you have done so, and the URL to those photo/video sets.

      Thanks!

      http://atulchitnis.com (Professional)
      http://atulchitnis.net (Personal)
    • Philip Tellis
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22, 2007
        Sometime Today, AC cobbled together some glyphs to say:

        > Could you take a few moments and update the licenses of your photos on
        > Flickr to Creative Commons (Attribution-ShareAlike)? Ditto your videos on
        > Google Videos or YouTube? On Flickr, just drag all the photos into the

        Google video and Youtube do not have licence selectors, so owners will
        have to explicitly give you the licence.

        Most of my photos are under by-nc-sa, if you tell me what the project
        is, I may consider relicensing them only to the foss.in/2007 team under
        a by-sa licence.

        Philip

        --
        Solutions are obvious if one only has the optical power to observe them
        over the horizon.
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 2007

          I will prefer GPL for my slide(s)/photos etc and it is always good
          idea to clear license on last slide for that :)

          --
          Thanks,
          Kartik Mistry | Eng: kartikmistry.org/blog
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 23, 2007
            The GPL is not really a good license for media -- you would do better to
            choose one of the CC licenses -- your intent will be clearer to licensors.

            -- b

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 24, 2007
              On 24 Apr 2007 "Biju Chacko" wrote:
              > The GPL is not really a good license for media -- you would do better to
              > choose one of the CC licenses -- your intent will be clearer to licensors.
              >
              > -- b

              Please explain me why it is not good. I have seen so many
              documentation in GPL (See most of man pages!). CC is not compatible
              with DFSG and GFDL is ofcourse non-free (at current version)!

              It remind me that I should take one session at Foss.in/2007 about
              writing good documentation(s). I know there are many people here who
              wrote Fine manuals already!

              If ILUGD rule applies here, I am in for that :)

              How about subject like this: WTFM!