The XO in the Real World

  • Arvind Yadav
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
      The FISL congress is over and it was great talking to the enormous
      amount of people who showed interest in the XO learning laptop and the
      OLPC project. It was nice to see people's interest turn into large
      smiles by the time I was done explaining the project and answering
      their questions. Many stayed for fifteen minute or more and some even
      came back multiple times to play around with the machines and ask more
      questions.

      However the one thing that made this trip truly wonderful was seeing
      the laptop in action at one of the trial schools in Porto Alegre.

      http://www.j5live.com/?p=357

      I wish our kids could get their hands on this. Check out the photos.
    • Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
      • subbukk
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
          On Tuesday 17 April 2007 6:29 pm, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
          > But you see it is a gizmo and a toy and our education pedagogy has
          > nothing to do with :P
          I beg to differ on both counts. XO is a serious computing appliance and it
          *is* about educating children.

          Which notebook computer today has:
          a) a screen that is readable in broad daylight
          b) consumes less than 10W
          c) networks readily with its nearby computers (in a mesh topology).

          OLPC had to invent a new class of computer because computer manufacturers
          were too busy with their megahertz race (and now multi-core race). XO is
          a disruptive invention.

          Secondly, the main mission of OLPC is education - how to get K-12 children
          across the world to learn whereever and whenever and not just in 'school
          hours'. It is not just about technology or cheap pricing. Both are just
          means to the end. See
          http://www.olpctalks.com/nicholas_negroponte/negroponte_digital_life_design.html
          for the rationale behind OLPC.

          Regards .. Subbu
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
            Guys - get a room, will ya? :)

            This is a list that talks about an event named FOSS.IN.

            This discussion is best suited for more general lists like may
            linux-bangalore-non-tech@yahoogroups.com

            It becomes on-topic *only* if Nick is coming to FOSS.IN/2007 to release
            the OLPC. :)