photoes & video

  • Archana Rao
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi ,

      I saw that during the talks , there was video recording done.Also a lot of snaps of each of the talks were taken.But I can't find them in the website .Can you please let me know how we could get them?Will a CD be cut & sent to all delegates & speakers?

      Thx
      Archana

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2007
        On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Archana Rao wrote:

        > I saw that during the talks , there was video recording done.Also a lot
        > of snaps of each of the talks were taken.But I can't find them in the
        > website .Can you please let me know how we could get them?Will a CD be
        > cut & sent to all delegates & speakers?

        Yes, this time we made an extra effort (and spent a huge amount of money)
        getting all talks videorecorded. Quality is generally excellent.

        That's the good news.

        The bad news is that we are dealing with FIFTY DVDS here, each about 4.5
        GB in size.

        And there is *no* way we will be able to send them to all speakers and
        delegates. Just the material and duplication costs would come to thousands
        of Rupees per set. And no, it isn't just "cost of a DVD" - there are costs
        involved, such as the duplication labour and other logistics.

        And there is no way we can entertain any "could I have a copy of just MY
        talk?" requests. Ditto for "can I borrow the DVDs for a few days?"
        requests. We only have the master sets, and cannot risk damage or loss.

        Uploading to Google Video is an option (YouTube is not an option because
        of their 10 minute limit, and I think Yahoo is IE-only), and there is of
        course Archive.org. However, for this to be done, we need to first
        re-encode the video to something like divx/mpeg4/etc. This is time
        consuming, and we do not have resources for this either. And let's not
        talk about the whole upload process.

        Ideal would be if Google themselves could arrange for the conversion and
        upload, but I know that that is a lot to ask.

        Note that all the video will be released Creative Commons licensed.

        We have thought of at least one way that we could use (this is specific
        to user groups in India):

        Since we don't want to make LUGs spend on the duplication costs, but dont
        have funds for this kind thing either, we are going to try and get some
        companies to pay for this. The idea is that any company who wants a set
        for themselves (for training purposes) pays for TWO (or more) sets, with
        the extra sets going to a LUG of their choice (or our choice, if there is
        no preference). People can of course also buy individual sets, but note
        that this will *not* be cheap, and we cannot handle the logistics of
        partial sets, either.

        There are still a number of issues with this - we still need to find
        someone who can do reliable duplication at an affordable price, of course.
        And/Or we need to find a way to re-encode the videos to compressed formats
        en masse.

        Given all the above, we are open to suggestions on how to handle these
        issues.

        Atul
      • Thaths
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2007
          On 1/3/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:
          > Note that all the video will be released Creative Commons licensed.

          While I personally do not have a problem with this, it might be
          prudent starting next year to have the speakers, as part of their
          registration process, agree to the talks being CC licensed.

          Thaths
          PS: Let me talk to some people about the format conversion and uploading.
          --
          Homer: He has all the money in the world, but there's one thing he can't buy.
          Marge: What's that?
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 3, 2007

            :
            > There are still a number of issues with this - we still need to find
            > someone who can do reliable duplication at an affordable price, of course.
            > And/Or we need to find a way to re-encode the videos to compressed formats
            > en masse.
            >
            > Given all the above, we are open to suggestions on how to handle these
            > issues.

            The conversion could be a distributed effort. I am volunteering to do
            some of it.

            Regards,

            Arvind Yadav
            Online -- Goa.
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 3, 2007
              On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Thaths wrote:

              > On 1/3/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:
              >> Note that all the video will be released Creative Commons licensed.
              >
              > While I personally do not have a problem with this, it might be
              > prudent starting next year to have the speakers, as part of their
              > registration process, agree to the talks being CC licensed.

              http://foss.in/2006/info/Call_for_Participation#Publication_Rights

              Submitting a talk for the event assumes that the speaker had read the CfP
              and had agreed to its terms.

              We actually planned to get written contracts in place but come on - it's a
              community event! We dont even take written contracts from our sponsors! :)

              > PS: Let me talk to some people about the format conversion and uploading.

              Cool! :)

              Atul Chitnis | mail@...
              Bangalore, India | http://atulchitnis.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 3, 2007
                On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Arvind Yadav wrote:

                > The conversion could be a distributed effort. I am volunteering to do
                > some of it.

                Ideally, yes, but unfortunately it would also mean breaking up (and
                risking damage to) the master DVD set, which we just don't want to risk.

                Atul Chitnis | mail@...
                Bangalore, India | http://atulchitnis.net
              • Edgar D' Souza
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 3, 2007
                  On 1/3/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:
                  > On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Arvind Yadav wrote:
                  >
                  > > The conversion could be a distributed effort. I am volunteering to do
                  > > some of it.
                  >
                  > Ideally, yes, but unfortunately it would also mean breaking up (and
                  > risking damage to) the master DVD set, which we just don't want to risk.

                  4.7 GB DVD-Rs are around Rs. 30 to 35 each, may be cheaper if buying
                  in bulk? 50 * 30 ~= 1500, max. 2000.
                  Perhaps the BLUG or FOSS.IN organizing committee could make a second
                  set of DVDs from the master copy, and send out 2 or 3 copied DVDs each
                  to different LUGs/individuals who are willing to help convert and
                  upload to a central server. That would keep your masters safe as well
                  as allow collaborative conversion.

                  I'm a rank n00b at video conversion, but I can contribute CPU cycles
                  and effort if someone will put up a mini doc on the approved tools and
                  procedure...

                  Ed.
                • priti patil
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 3, 2007
                    Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:
                    There are still a number of issues with this - we still need to find
                    someone who can do reliable duplication at an affordable price, of course.
                    And/Or we need to find a way to re-encode the videos to compressed formats
                    en masse.

                    Given all the above, we are open to suggestions on how to handle these
                    issues.

                    Atul

                    CD/DVD stampers could be the good option (rather a cost effective
                    solution) !

                    -- Priti

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 3, 2007
                      On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Edgar D' Souza wrote:

                      > 4.7 GB DVD-Rs are around Rs. 30 to 35 each, may be cheaper if buying
                      > in bulk? 50 * 30 ~= 1500, max. 2000.
                      > Perhaps the BLUG or FOSS.IN organizing committee could make a second
                      > set of DVDs from the master copy, and send out 2 or 3 copied DVDs each
                      > to different LUGs/individuals who are willing to help convert and
                      > upload to a central server. That would keep your masters safe as well
                      > as allow collaborative conversion.

                      copying 50 DVDs (2-3 copies each) would take too much time without
                      professional equipment.

                      Assume 15 mins each copy, 3 copies each, so 45 mins per disk, or about
                      37.5 hours if done nonstop, or about 5 days if someone were to sit on this
                      for 8 hours a day.

                      Now assume a real life job... :)

                      Sorry, not happening.

                      BTW - the most obvious solutions were already considered and rejected -
                      that includes getting DVDs duplicated with glass stampers - we would have
                      to make one glass stamper per DVD, and that costs a bomb, and is
                      infeasible for production of less than 2000 copies per DVD.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 3, 2007
                        On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, priti patil wrote:

                        > CD/DVD stampers could be the good option (rather a cost effective
                        > solution) !

                        See my previous reply to Edgar. For stampers, you have to make a glass
                        stamper master for each DVD, at the cost of about 8K per master DVD, and
                        is infeasible for numbers less than 2000 per DVD.

                        Atul
                      • Arvind Yadav
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 4, 2007
                          On 1/4/07, Edgar D' Souza <edgar.b.dsouza@...> wrote:
                          > On 1/3/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Ideally, yes, but unfortunately it would also mean breaking up (and
                          > > risking damage to) the master DVD set, which we just don't want to risk.
                          >
                          > 4.7 GB DVD-Rs are around Rs. 30 to 35 each, may be cheaper if buying
                          > in bulk? 50 * 30 ~= 1500, max. 2000.
                          > Perhaps the BLUG or FOSS.IN organizing committee could make a second
                          > set of DVDs from the master copy, and send out 2 or 3 copied DVDs each
                          > to different LUGs/individuals who are willing to help convert and
                          > upload to a central server. That would keep your masters safe as well
                          > as allow collaborative conversion.

                          Ditto. We could then transfer the converted copies and either cut them
                          on DVDs and mail them to you, or upload them to a location of your
                          choice.

                          > I'm a rank n00b at video conversion, but I can contribute CPU cycles
                          > and effort if someone will put up a mini doc on the approved tools and
                          > procedure...

                          Experienced or not, the documentation will ensure that the job is done
                          in consistant manner and result in standard/quality output.

                          Regards,

                          Arvind Yadav
                          Online -- Goa.
                        • Arvind Yadav
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 4, 2007
                            On 1/4/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:

                            > copying 50 DVDs (2-3 copies each) would take too much time without
                            > professional equipment.
                            >
                            > Assume 15 mins each copy, 3 copies each, so 45 mins per disk, or about
                            > 37.5 hours if done nonstop, or about 5 days if someone were to sit on this
                            > for 8 hours a day.

                            Only one copy need be made (copying time now reduces to around 12.5
                            hrs) and mailed to the volunteer, which could be returned along with
                            the converted copy.

                            Already 3-4 volunteers from Goa. Maybe the Goa Lug could take up the
                            job. As a bonus you also get a backup copy of the originals.

                            I like your idea. Those who want individual copies (of the converted
                            videos) pay for one or more copies for the lugs. The duplication could
                            also be a distributed community effort. Each lug that receives a copy
                            then makes a set for one or more lug(s)...

                            Regards,

                            Arvind Yadav
                            Online -- Goa.
                          • Edgar D' Souza
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 4, 2007
                              On 1/4/07, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:
                              > On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Edgar D' Souza wrote:
                              >
                              > > 4.7 GB DVD-Rs are around Rs. 30 to 35 each, may be cheaper if buying
                              > > in bulk? 50 * 30 ~= 1500, max. 2000.
                              > > Perhaps the BLUG or FOSS.IN organizing committee could make a second
                              > > set of DVDs from the master copy, and send out 2 or 3 copied DVDs each
                              > > to different LUGs/individuals who are willing to help convert and
                              > > upload to a central server. That would keep your masters safe as well
                              > > as allow collaborative conversion.
                              >
                              > copying 50 DVDs (2-3 copies each) would take too much time without
                              > professional equipment.

                              No, no... I didn't mean more than one copy per DVD; you would wind up
                              with another 50 DVDs, essentially a second set, discs from which you
                              could then dish out to volunteer convertors without fear of
                              damaging/losing the master set - that would remain safe with you.

                              > Assume 15 mins each copy, 3 copies each, so 45 mins per disk, or about
                              > 37.5 hours if done nonstop, or about 5 days if someone were to sit on this
                              > for 8 hours a day.

                              15 mins per 4.5GB copy already assumes some nifty hardware, but I
                              guess you've already got far niftier h/w than I can dream of, so
                              that's cool. :-)

                              Anyway, 15 mins * 50 DVDs roughly works out to.. wait, lemme pull off
                              my shoes so I can count.. 4 discs per hour, or a total of 12 hours and
                              a half? If you had a couple of org. committee members share this,
                              might it be possible to copy 2 DVDs each per day - about half an hour?
                              - at your convenience, over the next few weeks. As and when you have 2
                              or 3 DVDs copied (which might be the max parcellable out to a
                              volunteer or a LUG), you could send them off, and then volunteers
                              could go to work converting the video on the discs they got.

                              > Now assume a real life job... :)
                              > Sorry, not happening.

                              Getting it done slowly and leisurely, copying a couple of discs a day,
                              is a much better thing, IMO. I agree with the time constraints of
                              work, neither you nor another single person would want to sit and do
                              that copying all at one go. And since there seems to be no other way
                              to get that content out anyway, slow is better than nothing at all!
                              ;-)

                              > BTW - the most obvious solutions were already considered and rejected -
                              > that includes getting DVDs duplicated with glass stampers - we would have
                              > to make one glass stamper per DVD, and that costs a bomb, and is
                              > infeasible for production of less than 2000 copies per DVD.

                              Yikes! :-) No, that doesn't seem the way to go...

                              I think the co-op way of doing it appeals more to us than the
                              throw-more-money-at-it approach, anyway. :-) And considering the
                              amount of _work_ you guys put in to making FOSS.IN, it would be pretty
                              fair, IMHO, to let other LUGs help with some of this effort... :)

                              Ed.
                            • Raghavendra Moktali
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 4, 2007
                                can you dump the dvd images to an usb hard disk which could then be used
                                to distribute to the interested people? saves the headache of 50 dvd's.
                                i can give you a 250GB disk for this. costs about 4k. I will be happy to
                                reuse the disk once i finish watching all of them.
                                of course i will also be happy to make copies of the same if anyone else
                                wants it like that. i would imagine it will be faster and convenient
                                than burning dvd's and also there's the question of what to do with them
                                after watching :) a few times.
                                anyone thought of having a lug meet to watch them?
                                media streaming is catching on too :)
                                --
                                rm
                              • Kiruthik Kumar
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 4, 2007
                                  Why don't you people use some of the cheapest & best web hosters like
                                  Godaddy to host these contents (DVD - quality Videos)??
                                  Godaddy are well known for their work.

                                  Their plans are:

                                  Deluxe Plan: 100 GB Space 1,000 GB Transfer - $7 per month

                                  Premium Plan: 200 GB Space 2,000 GB Transfer - $15 per month

                                  its Damn Cheap & you can maintain for a yr or so....

                                  - Kiruthik
                                • Edgar D' Souza
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 4, 2007
                                    On 1/4/07, Raghavendra Moktali <rmoktali@...> wrote:

                                    > can you dump the dvd images to an usb hard disk which could then be used
                                    > to distribute to the interested people? saves the headache of 50 dvd's.
                                    > i can give you a 250GB disk for this. costs about 4k. I will be happy to
                                    > reuse the disk once i finish watching all of them.
                                    > of course i will also be happy to make copies of the same if anyone else
                                    > wants it like that. i would imagine it will be faster and convenient
                                    > than burning dvd's and also there's the question of what to do with them
                                    > after watching :) a few times.
                                    > anyone thought of having a lug meet to watch them?
                                    > media streaming is catching on too :)

                                    Good idea, but would you allow your 250Gig HDD to travel as far afield
                                    as Goa so volunteers can grab a copy? :-)

                                    LUG meet to watch them - of course! Also, we would like to lend/give a
                                    copy of the DivX-ripped video to Engg. colleges, so students who
                                    couldn't attend will be able to watch some of the talks they're
                                    interested in.

                                    Ed.
                                  • Devdas Bhagat
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 5, 2007
                                      On 05/01/07 09:35 +0530, Kiruthik Kumar wrote:
                                      > Why don't you people use some of the cheapest & best web hosters like
                                      > Godaddy to host these contents (DVD - quality Videos)??
                                      > Godaddy are well known for their work.
                                      >
                                      > Their plans are:
                                      >
                                      > Deluxe Plan: 100 GB Space 1,000 GB Transfer - $7 per month
                                      >
                                      > Premium Plan: 200 GB Space 2,000 GB Transfer - $15 per month

                                      50*4.5 = 225 GB of content. Usenet access is 15 USD/mth unlimited for
                                      binary access, and I can ask Supernews to maintain that content for some
                                      time.

                                      With usenet, you don't need all the cost to be borne by the organisers
                                      either, anyone who wants to download can pony up the 15 USD and get
                                      access.

                                      Devdas Bhagat
                                    • Kiruthik Kumar
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 5, 2007
                                        On 1/5/07, Devdas Bhagat <devdas@...> wrote:

                                        > On 05/01/07 09:35 +0530, Kiruthik Kumar wrote:
                                        > > Why don't you people use some of the cheapest & best web hosters like
                                        > > Godaddy to host these contents (DVD - quality Videos)??
                                        > > Godaddy are well known for their work.
                                        > >
                                        > > Their plans are:
                                        > >
                                        > > Deluxe Plan: 100 GB Space 1,000 GB Transfer - $7 per month
                                        > >
                                        > > Premium Plan: 200 GB Space 2,000 GB Transfer - $15 per month
                                        > >
                                        > 50*4.5 = 225 GB of content. Usenet access is 15 USD/mth unlimited for
                                        > binary access, and I can ask Supernews to maintain that content for some
                                        > time.
                                        >
                                        > With usenet, you don't need all the cost to be borne by the organisers
                                        > either, anyone who wants to download can pony up the 15 USD and get
                                        > access.
                                        > .

                                        Thats Rite, but everyone must pay to Download & the monthly unlimited comes
                                        around $25. (Our major Target audience are Students.. Not all students can
                                        spend $25 )
                                        Also, you can easily convert a DVD into lower-Quality video, so if a person
                                        with a PC can do a minimum of 5 DVDs' a day, in just 10 days (even a maximum
                                        of two weeks) we can have the whole content in a easily distributable
                                        format. -- 75% of people will have a DVD ROM in their PC.

                                        And uploading 1GB is not at all a big issue now-a-days. So the total work
                                        wont take more than one month.
                                        Few well known Volunteers of BLUG like Praveen, Arun can share the work!!

                                        If 3 people share, - then its just a Weeks' Job.

                                        - Kiruthik
                                        If there is a Will there is a WAY!!!

                                      • VaibhaV Sharma
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 7, 2007
                                          On Jan 5, 2007, at 3:53 AM, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

                                          > 50*4.5 = 225 GB of content. Usenet access is 15 USD/mth unlimited for
                                          > binary access, and I can ask Supernews to maintain that content for
                                          > some
                                          > time.
                                          >
                                          > With usenet, you don't need all the cost to be borne by the organisers
                                          > either, anyone who wants to download can pony up the 15 USD and get
                                          > access.

                                          One idea might be to torrent the individual sessions after being
                                          encoded using a better / space saving format. You pick the torrent
                                          file of the sessions you are interested in and *hope* that someone is
                                          seeding it.

                                          This might not work very well considering that most people don't
                                          leave their torrent clients running all the time.

                                          If these videos can be made available on google video, all this wont
                                          be necessary.

                                          --
                                          VaibhaV Sharma
                                          http://vsharma.net

                                        • Thaths
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 7, 2007
                                            On 1/7/07, VaibhaV Sharma <vaibhav@...> wrote:
                                            > If these videos can be made available on google video, all this wont
                                            > be necessary.

                                            Atul and I are working on the logistics of getting them on Google Video.

                                            Thaths