First list delay

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2006
      All:

      It's probably best that I announce this right away, to avoid problems
      later:

      As usual, everyone has kept it for the last moment, and talks have just
      begun to pour in. We have seen about a hundred come in on Saturday, and
      I wouldn't be surprised to see an equal number come in on Sunday (the
      last day). There is a good chance that we will break last year's record of
      submitted talks by the time we close talk registrations on Sunday night.

      This creates a logistical issue for the selection team.

      Had talk submissions been fairly well distributed over the CfP period, we
      would have been able to do evaluation progressively, so that the final
      rush wouldn't have had so much gridlock. We had really hoped that at
      least this year, people would be more sensitive to this issue.

      But no, everyone has left it for the last moment.

      Things are also more complicated this year because of the new format,
      which reduces the number of talk slots dramatically to allow for more
      "people time" - interaction, movement between halls, coffee, trips to the
      loo.... :)

      Given that we will have to wade through several hundred talks before we
      can come up with a sensible and fair selection, we are not going to be
      able to put out the first list on Monday, the 9th (as stated in the CfP),
      but probably towards the end of the week, possibly by Saturday, the 14th.

      We know that this creates a lot of anxiety and frustration for some of you
      (you know who you are), but you really know whom to blame for this. :(

      The added complication to this is invited talks - we have had responses
      from some people, and are awaiting responses from others.

      Please do not try and get the jump on anyone by trying to ask us about
      selections - we need to go through all the talk proposals thoroughly and
      fairly, try and place them within logical groups, prioritise them and then
      finally choose them. This means that we will not actually know which talks
      got chosen until the day we release the list.

      Also, some of you have been pinging us for details about travel
      sponsorship. As stated earlier, we can really tell you about that only
      after we have finalised with the event sponsors.

      If sponsorship levels are low or take too long to finalise, then this will
      directly affect our ability to sponsor speakers who have requested travel
      assisstance. At that point, even if a talk is selected, the speaker may
      not be able to make it since sponsorship may not be available.

      Please note, therefore, that even if a talk appears on the first
      shortlist, it is *no* guarantee that travel sponsorship will be available
      even if it has been requested.

      This is why we again request all potential speakers who need travel
      assisstance to look around for alternate travel sponsorship - from
      employers, projects, user groups, etc. If you manage to secure alternate
      sponsorship, and had marked your profile as needing sponsorship, please
      update your speaker profile!

      Thanks!

      Atul

      p.s. Would all the speakers from Bangalore who have stated that they need
      travel sponsorship please wake up and smell the roses? What's wrong with
      you guys? The "found checkbox, gotta click it" syndrome? :)
    • Andrew Cowie
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2006
        On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 01:11 +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
        > we are not going to be able to put out the first list on Monday, the
        > 9th (as stated in the CfP), but probably towards the end of the week,
        > possibly by Saturday, the 14th.

        That's quite alright. Personally I think you put an unrealistic demand
        on yourselves. I'm quite sure that none of us expected you to turn the
        acceptances around in a single day and I'm sure all respect the fact
        that you are volunteers who will get the job done in due course.

        AfC
        Sydney