Re: [foss.in] Newbies .... are they lost?

    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 8, 2006
      On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, pavithran wrote:

      > This time as Introductory talks are strictly forbidden.
      > what will happenen to newbies ?

      As explained several times before (and pretty explicitely, I must say),
      FOSS.IN has no intention of replacing the efforts of the LUGs and other
      events that provide a gentle entry point into the FOSS world.

      Please read through the entire thread once more and try and understand
      what it is we are trying to do, instead of using such harsh terms as
      "strictly forbidden".

      FYI, this month itself, the Chennai LUG has one such event, in the form of
      Linux Demo Day. In September, the Delhi LUG has Freedel, their annual
      event. The Goa LUG has events virtually all round the year in some form or
      the other. And of course the LUGs meet every month.

      If FOSS.IN were to replicate all those efforts, we would simply be wasting
      time and an opportunity. We have three days, and really would like to
      cover new grounds.

      Atul
    • Akshay Lamba
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 8, 2006
        pavithran wrote:
        This will remove all newbies for the event.Then the event will have only
        techies!!!

        Not to brow beat you buddy but saying "the event will have only techies"
        is also misrepresenting the intent here...business implications of foss
        both as an enterprise solution and as a business model for entrepreneurs
        is something that was discussed with quite some amount of gusto last
        year too. Hence, the intent is not to make the event non-newbie friendly
        or techie only.

        Unless ofcourse I've got the intent all wrong myself.

      • Akshay Lamba
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 8, 2006
          Akshay Lamba wrote:
          > pavithran wrote:
          > This will remove all newbies for the event.Then the event will have
          > only techies!!!
          >
          > Not to brow beat you buddy but saying "the event will have only
          > techies" is also misrepresenting the intent here...business
          > implications of foss both as an enterprise solution and as a business
          > model for entrepreneurs is something that was discussed with quite
          > some amount of gusto last year too. Hence, the intent is not to make
          > the event non-newbie friendly or techie only.

          Correction - I meant to say "...intent is not to make the event newbie
          un-friendly...."
        • Devdas Bhagat
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 9, 2006
            On 08/08/06 13:27 -0000, pavithran wrote:
            > This time as Introductory talks are strictly forbidden.
            > what will happenen to newbies ?
            > what will happen to people who just got introduced to opensource and
            > linux?

            Ob: That is what the local LUGs are for. Seriously, FOSS.IN is meant to
            move on, past the "Introduce newbies to Linux and common technologies"
            stage.

            > will they be lost .
            > I guess that will be the case.Lets keep a test at the entrance of
            > foss.in..
            > who evcer passes the test will only enter the venue ...The others
            > should be disqualified.

            Nah. I can pretty much guarantee that I'll fail those tests. Come to
            think of it, I can pretty much guarantee that I'll be in the coffee shop
            across the street anyway.

            Speaking of coffee, did Gopal get his coffee anyway?

            Devdas Bhagat
          • Gopal V
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 9, 2006
              Devdas Bhagat wrote:

              > Ob: That is what the local LUGs are for. Seriously, FOSS.IN is meant to
              > move on, past the "Introduce newbies to Linux and common technologies"
              > stage.

              The real question is, do we have anything except newbies every year ?

              I mean, this kind of thing's been going on here since the last millenium
              (*heh). If every year we keeping getting newbies, why so ? :)

              > Nah. I can pretty much guarantee that I'll fail those tests. Come to
              > think of it, I can pretty much guarantee that I'll be in the coffee shop
              > across the street anyway.

              If there's a test, I find new and ingenious ways to fail ...

              > Speaking of coffee, did Gopal get his coffee anyway?

              No, but someone's promised me dinner for yet another task ... I mean,
              with the right hardware, how hard can setting up mythTV be ?

              Cheers,
              Gopal
              --
              I never made a mistake in my life.
              I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 9, 2006
                Hello All,

                Check out:

                Think of a similar FOSS.IN badge doing something cool

                Maybe, we can also have a `hack the badge' contest
                were we use GNU/Linux tools to program the micro!

                Regards,
                Pramode
                --------

                http://in.answers.yahoo.com/
              • Devdas Bhagat
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 9, 2006
                  On 09/08/06 15:00 +0530, Gopal V wrote:
                  <snip>
                  > No, but someone's promised me dinner for yet another task ... I mean,
                  > with the right hardware, how hard can setting up mythTV be ?

                  Everyone I know who has succeeded with a MythTV installation has used
                  Gentoo. Debian and Ubuntu users fail miserably.

                  Devdas Bhagat
                • pavithran
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 9, 2006
                    sir,
                    i respect your concerns.
                    But as far as I know ...many newbies will be coming to the event .
                    where do ou propose to seat them? at the BOF's ? Or at the EXPO?
                    as they cant understand all the geeky talks. i guess they will leave
                    the first day after eating all they could for teh coupons provided.
                    maybe next day they will come for a lunch ...
                    hey guys do we want that to happen ?
                    Many will be wondering why will new comers come to foss.in ? Its the
                    promotion being done in the whole country .we must accept that fos.in
                    was a new concept ... in India though linus started it at 1991.
                    One more thing when it comes to students...
                    will every dad pay and allow a student to attend the meets of
                    every small LUG?
                    I guess he will be paid and allowed only for thr grande finale...or
                    the grand event which is undoubtedly foss.in.
                    so the student turns up to atmost 2-3 big events per year... that too
                    if he and his dads interested !
                    Then he finds all geeky stuff blowing out of his head... Buys a
                    dommino Pizza at the stall and eats it listens to the music at the
                    evening if thereis one this time and he leaves ...never to
                    return...goes to college an says linux is Not for Human Bings!( The
                    exact opposite of Ubuntu slogan)
                    I really dont want that to ahppen.
                    Thanks for reading my views with patience...
                    Just my two eurocents!
                  • Kalyan Varma
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 9, 2006
                      pavithran wrote:

                      > i respect your concerns.
                      > But as far as I know ...many newbies will be coming to the event .
                      > where do ou propose to seat them? at the BOF's ? Or at the EXPO?
                      > as they cant understand all the geeky talks. i guess they will leave
                      > the first day after eating all they could for teh coupons provided.
                      > maybe next day they will come for a lunch ...
                      > hey guys do we want that to happen ?
                      > Many will be wondering why will new comers come to foss.in ? Its the
                      > promotion being done in the whole country .we must accept that fos.in
                      > was a new concept ... in India though linus started it at 1991.
                      > One more thing when it comes to students...
                      > will every dad pay and allow a student to attend the meets of
                      > every small LUG?
                      > I guess he will be paid and allowed only for thr grande finale...or
                      > the grand event which is undoubtedly foss.in.
                      > so the student turns up to atmost 2-3 big events per year... that too
                      > if he and his dads interested !

                      I don't know now, but couple of years ago, the ultimate benchmark for
                      linux is when your mom could install it and use it. Well I just moved
                      all my home machines to ubuntu and my mom and dad surely seems to be
                      finding it very easy to use.

                      Would they care about coming to foss.in ? I guess not. They are linux
                      users and are happy using them.

                      Coming to students. As I mentioned this in a meet couple of months ago,
                      college students either worry about how to get laid or howto hack on
                      something (mostly computers) or if lucky maybe both. If they really want
                      to learn linux, nothing stops them from going to a book store, but a mag
                      with free linux CD for 50 bucks, take it back home and install it.
                      Besides there are tons of articles on the net on how to install/use
                      linux. So do you want foss.in to get those students who don't care about
                      linux and force it down their throats ?

                      I think a "linux newbie" is a myth. Either a person has already tried
                      linux and is happy with it or he/she does not care about linux and are
                      happy to use windows/proprietary software for their needs

                      As others have mentioned, foss.in is a place for people to interact,
                      learn whats new and to apply foss for solving our real world problems.

                      > Then he finds all geeky stuff blowing out of his head... Buys a
                      > dommino Pizza at the stall and eats it listens to the music at the
                      > evening if thereis one this time and he leaves ...never to
                      > return...goes to college an says linux is Not for Human Bings!( The
                      > exact opposite of Ubuntu slogan)
                      > I really dont want that to ahppen.

                      Now you are sounding like RMS :)

                      - Kalyan
                    • Bill la Forge
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 9, 2006
                        I don't think anyone was against well done introductions delivered by experts in their field. Everyone can learn from these, not just newbies

                        I believe what was really spoken against was having a bunch of "how to get started"s.

                        Newbies do need a good intro, to point them to the right products, pitfalls to avoid and new hot technologies worth learning about. But so does everyone. And a good intro can point newbies to books, web links and LUGs without wasting too much of everyone else's time.

                        The problem is that it is too easy for any Joe to put together a "how to" for newbies, provide hardly anything worthwhile (even for the newbies) and delight in the fact that they were a speaker at FOSS.

                        Is this a good synthises of the intent at FOSS? There was a lot of discussion, but no grand summary. I'd like to put this topic to bed and also dismiss the impression that newbies don't have a place at FOSS.IN, only that they my not be the primary audience!

                        Bill

                        pavithran <pavithran.s@...> wrote:
[...]

                      • Gaurav Nawani
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 9, 2006
                          pavithran wrote:
                          > sir,
                          > i respect your concerns.
                          > But as far as I know ...many newbies will be coming to the event .
                          > where do ou propose to seat them? at the BOF's ? Or at the EXPO?
                          > as they cant understand all the geeky talks. i guess they will leave
                          > the first day after eating all they could for teh coupons provided.
                          > maybe next day they will come for a lunch ...
                          > hey guys do we want that to happen ?
                          > Many will be wondering why will new comers come to foss.in ? Its the
                          > promotion being done in the whole country .we must accept that fos.in
                          > was a new concept ... in India though linus started it at 1991.
                          > One more thing when it comes to students...
                          > will every dad pay and allow a student to attend the meets of
                          > every small LUG?
                          > I guess he will be paid and allowed only for thr grande finale...or
                          > the grand event which is undoubtedly foss.in.
                          > so the student turns up to atmost 2-3 big events per year... that too
                          > if he and his dads interested !
                          > Then he finds all geeky stuff blowing out of his head... Buys a
                          > dommino Pizza at the stall and eats it listens to the music at the
                          > evening if thereis one this time and he leaves ...never to
                          > return...goes to college an says linux is Not for Human Bings!( The
                          > exact opposite of Ubuntu slogan)
                          > I really dont want that to ahppen.
                          > Thanks for reading my views with patience...
                          > Just my two eurocents!

                          Hi,

                          On the contrary, I think they will be awed by the technical level of
                          Linux. Why it being assumed far and wide that they will be intimidated
                          not get interested by increasing the level of talks.

                          There is a need for Linux to get in to another phase here in India, and
                          here I fully agree with Atul that it can't happen unless the level is
                          increased. The more interaction among technical people and the new
                          curious people to the world of Linux, will do more good for FOSS
                          development in India.

                          Further having a good talk gives more opportunities for newbies, they
                          can have their queries answered in BOF or even with one to one interaction.

                          I think I have vastly different opinion on the state of people who
                          choose to know more about Linux than, getting scared by what they see.
                          Although I didn't do any talk last year, still I think I have fairly
                          positive feedback even from the curious onlookers on the little booth of
                          Blender I had.

                          Show them the capability and they will be interested.

                          Regards,
                          Gaurav
                        • Shreyas Srinivasan
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 9, 2006
                            On 8/10/06, Kalyan Varma <kalyan@...> wrote:
                            > pavithran wrote:
                            >
                            > I don't know now, but couple of years ago, the ultimate benchmark for
                            > linux is when your mom could install it and use it. Well I just moved
                            > all my home machines to ubuntu and my mom and dad surely seems to be
                            > finding it very easy to use.

                            Agree

                            > Would they care about coming to foss.in ? I guess not. They are linux
                            > users and are happy using them.

                            Agree, the sole point which gets argued over and over again is to try
                            decipher the purpose of the audience coming to the event. Although
                            this might ideally be considered a good strategy, it kinda beats what
                            community events are held for. They are held because there already
                            exists a community of contributers and people interested in contributing.
                            No great shakes in guessing what they want, they want a personal
                            touch out of the event. I have seen many of Alan Cox's slides, they are
                            all over the place but when i sat in that audience and heard him talk
                            it was almost like experiencing the power of community
                            development where the lead developers and the new comers all have
                            a stage to express and be heard.

                            The whole argument of turning off new comers is a fallacy, because
                            as a kid (sigh, i hate to use past tense). I loved gory technical events
                            because it gave me enough to go back home and research. Remember
                            the Miguel and Nat talk, i did not know *jack shit* while i was sitting in the
                            talk , so i checked out the cvs(which took a couple of days as well) that
                            evening and starting playing around with what they were talking about.
                            It took me well over an year to even talk about anything on irc but i
                            eventually got a hang of it.

                            So as long as people come in with a good attitude to learn, complexity
                            is not an issue. Infact i think it might be an "invisible guiding force".

                            If we teach find and grep and ps and sed and awk at foss.in. People will
                            learn but what will they get back and build on?

                            This is about multiplying contributers and increasing awareness, dont
                            confuse it
                            with making better unix programmers.

                            > > Then he finds all geeky stuff blowing out of his head... Buys a
                            > > dommino Pizza at the stall and eats it listens to the music at the
                            > > evening if thereis one this time and he leaves ...never to
                            > > return...goes to college an says linux is Not for Human Bings!( The
                            > > exact opposite of Ubuntu slogan)
                            > > I really dont want that to ahppen.
                            >

                            > Now you are sounding like RMS :)

                            And kallu you like jwz :))

                            [g,d,&r]

                            Pavithran, we have discussed this enough. Please read through old
                            threads before posting. Although i appreciate the thought, this is
                            getting repetitive. Imagine me kallu, atul etc etc having to write the
                            same mails. Can we have a "standard format" answer to this and
                            publish it in the faq please?

                          • Andrew Cowie
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                              On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 12:50 +0100, Pramode C.E. wrote:
                              > FOSS.IN badge

                              Just so long as the person's name (and IRC nick if they have one)
                              appears on BOTH sides of the badge. Otherwise, when the badge twists in
                              the wind, the backside shows and you have no clue what the person's name
                              is!

                              AfC
                              Sydney

                              --
                              Andrew Frederick Cowie

                              Technology strategy, managing change, establishing procedures,
                              and executing successful upgrades to mission critical business
                              infrastructure.

                              http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

                              Sydney New York Toronto London

                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                                On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Andrew Cowie wrote:

                                > Just so long as the person's name (and IRC nick if they have one)
                                > appears on BOTH sides of the badge. Otherwise, when the badge twists in
                                > the wind, the backside shows and you have no clue what the person's name
                                > is!

                                That will not be an issue - we are planning to tattoo relevant info on
                                everyone's forehead - using Arial Black font, 72 point. >:)

                                Atul Chitnis | mail@...
                                Bangalore, India | http://atulchitnis.net
                              • Biju Chacko
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                                  On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:20:37 +0530, Atul Chitnis
                                  <listadmin@...> wrote:

                                  > On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Andrew Cowie wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Just so long as the person's name (and IRC nick if they have one)
                                  >> appears on BOTH sides of the badge. Otherwise, when the badge twists in
                                  >> the wind, the backside shows and you have no clue what the person's name
                                  >> is!
                                  >
                                  > That will not be an issue - we are planning to tattoo relevant info on
                                  > everyone's forehead - using Arial Black font, 72 point. >:)

                                  What if they're facing the other direction? Remember to tattoo everyones
                                  butts too.

                                  -- b

                                • G Karunakar
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                                    On 8/10/06, Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...> wrote:

                                    > On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Andrew Cowie wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Just so long as the person's name (and IRC nick if they have one)
                                    > > appears on BOTH sides of the badge. Otherwise, when the badge twists in
                                    > > the wind, the backside shows and you have no clue what the person's name
                                    > > is!
                                    >

                                    > That will not be an issue - we are planning to tattoo relevant info on
                                    > everyone's forehead - using Arial Black font, 72 point. >:)

                                    or maybe FOSS font like FreeSans >:)..

                                    Karunakar
                                  • Vinayak Hegde
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                                      On 8/10/06, Biju Chacko <botsie@...> wrote:
                                      > > That will not be an issue - we are planning to tattoo relevant info on
                                      > > everyone's forehead - using Arial Black font, 72 point. >:)
                                      >
                                      > What if they're facing the other direction? Remember to tattoo everyones
                                      > butts too.

                                      I think a sandwich board[1] with large font would be a less painful
                                      alternative. That would take care of some accessibility issues as well.

                                      -- Vinayak
                                      [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_board
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                                        On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Biju Chacko wrote:

                                        > What if they're facing the other direction? Remember to tattoo everyones
                                        > butts too.

                                        Would love to, but you (specifically) would violate venue rules -
                                        billboards not allowed. :)

                                        (gd&r)

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                                          Atul Chitnis wrote:

                                          > Would love to, but you (specifically) would violate venue rules -
                                          > billboards not allowed. :)

                                          What's next on the chopping block ? Vendor t-shirts ?

                                          Cheers,
                                          Gopal
                                          --
                                          Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                                            On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Gopal V wrote:

                                            > What's next on the chopping block ? Vendor t-shirts ?

                                            Heh - no, we are not PESIT :)

                                            Atul Chitnis | mail@...
                                            Bangalore, India | http://atulchitnis.net
                                          • A.R Karthick
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                                              >On 8/10/06, Shreyas Srinivasan <sshreyas@...> wrote: >Remember the
                                              Miguel and Nat talk, i did not know *jack shit* while i was sitting in >the
                                              talk

                                              Are these madcaps visiting this year !! I consider foss.in _null_ and
                                              _void_ without their talks:-)
                                              In my book, no one can be or has been better than them.
                                              Regards,
                                              -Karthick

                                              --
                                              Software is like sex: it's better when it's free.
                                              -Linus Torvalds

                                              A.R.Karthick
                                              http://mir-os.sourceforge.net

                                            • Tejas Dinkar
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                                                On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 19:14 +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
                                                > > What's next on the chopping block ? Vendor t-shirts ?
                                                >
                                                > Heh - no, we are not PESIT :)

                                                Sorry, printed shirts are not allowed in PESIT

                                                The security guard will confiscate your ID card, take you to the princi,
                                                and ask for Rs 500 Fine.

                                                Also similar fines for having hair that is more than shoulder length.

                                                Gja
                                              • Mohan
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                                                  Two sides are going to be there. I agree with Atul and
                                                  Gaurav that the conference needs to cater for higher
                                                  level of FOSS development in India. At the same time
                                                  we do not want the newbies to go back with a
                                                  negative feeling about the whole experience either.

                                                  Looks like it is time to think of creative ways to
                                                  satisfy the newbies without sacrificing the quality of
                                                  the conference. We can brainstorm and select one or
                                                  two things and implement it effectively.

                                                  We can print helpful things for newbies and make it
                                                  available to the newbies. This small (4 - 8 pages)
                                                  could provide information on resources, FAQ's etc.

                                                  In fact we can have a speech that is specially
                                                  dedicated to the newbies, listing out where to start,
                                                  how to go about, resources available etc in a layman's
                                                  terms.

                                                  We can burn live CD's of ubuntu, knoppix etc and make
                                                  them available to newbies with some amount of
                                                  information. This can be used by newbies without
                                                  destroying their windows system.

                                                  I tried linux in late 1990's, but the bitter
                                                  experience made me to shun it for a long time. If we
                                                  could avoid that for the newbies that will be good.
                                                  Things have changed a lot though. What can we do for
                                                  the newbies without doing the "introductory" sessions?
                                                  What can we do so that more people will use linux and
                                                  newbies join FOSS movement. More ideas are needed
                                                  here.

                                                  Has the call for papers gone out yet?

                                                  Thanks
                                                  Mohan

                                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                • Shyam Mani
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Aug 10, 2006
                                                    On 8/10/06, Tejas Dinkar <tejasdinkar@...> wrote:

                                                    > The security guard will confiscate your ID card, take you to the princi,
                                                    > and ask for Rs 500 Fine.
                                                    > Also similar fines for having hair that is more than shoulder length.

                                                    Heh. They should supply all their student with black and white striped tees.

                                                    --
                                                    Shyam Mani | http://xinetd.accosted.net/
                                                    Gentoo Dev | http://dev.gentoo.org/~fox2mike
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Aug 11, 2006
                                                      On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 17:15 -0700, Mohan wrote:
                                                      > We can print helpful things for newbies and make it
                                                      > available to the newbies. This small (4 - 8 pages)
                                                      > could provide information on resources, FAQ's etc.

                                                      You mean like a n00b quickstart guide or anything?

                                                      It is an interesting idea, but there is always the fact that the scope
                                                      of FOSS is just too huge. Someone may be interested in FOSS, but not
                                                      like the idea of Linux.

                                                      Some may be interested in contributing to servers like Apache, and not
                                                      be interested in using the command line, and some may be interested in
                                                      just playing around with the desktop.

                                                      Bottom line is, I think the scope of such a document is too large. But
                                                      it is a very interesting idea, and perhaps it could be broken up into
                                                      many documents, like

                                                      * `n00b's guide to setting up a desktop` (not anything distro specific
                                                      here, but perhaps what you can use instead of some proprietary apps)

                                                      * `n00b's guide to contributing` (some generic info here... what is
                                                      bugzilla. How to find people on IRC. How to help in documentation)

                                                      etc...

                                                      > In fact we can have a speech that is specially
                                                      > dedicated to the newbies, listing out where to start,
                                                      > how to go about, resources available etc in a layman's
                                                      > terms.

                                                      This year, we have planned to cut down drastically on the number of
                                                      talks, otherwise there would be a big stack of such talks on the
                                                      program.

                                                      I believe in all the previous years, there has been many talks of such
                                                      nature, but I'm not sure if they do a lot of good.

                                                      As someone keeps pointing out (I think it is Gopal), talks are basically
                                                      aimed at two people in the 80 member audience, who will start
                                                      contributing some day.

                                                      Perhaps, at such an event, it really isn't worth it to have such talks,
                                                      as we have limited time, and resources.

                                                      Also, such talks happen at least 4 times a year, in every city.

                                                      > We can burn live CD's of ubuntu, knoppix etc and make
                                                      > them available to newbies with some amount of
                                                      > information.

                                                      This is going to happen anyway, as part of the FOSS expo.

                                                      I know I'll be making FC CDs or DVDs, and I'm sure that other distros
                                                      will be represented.

                                                      > Has the call for papers gone out yet?

                                                      I don't think so

                                                      Gja
                                                    • pavithran
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Aug 11, 2006
                                                        I completely agree with mohan.
                                                        I also agree that foss.in level should rise as its a international
                                                        conference now[:)]
                                                        Creative ways to satisfy newbies ....hmmm that sounds cool!!!
                                                        The FAQ book is a nice idea but as tejas pointed out we cant cover
                                                        the entire foss.in topics ...
                                                        what I suggest I write more about linux .lets give guidance in 1
                                                        sentence each the websites or manuals at web where there are located
                                                        and the BOF stall and time or the person involved ....in that
                                                        particular project ..
                                                        we can add 2-3 lines in the case of Apache and BSD since they are lil
                                                        more famous than others!
                                                        I like the thing called speech for newbies .... May I give it atleast
                                                        help you give it ???
                                                        KUBUNTU and UBUNTU can be ordered for free .
                                                        I have aroound 30 of both.
                                                        Lets order speciafically for the event maybe cannonical will provide!

                                                        The call for papers is not yet given!
                                                        Me waiting anxiously for it!
                                                      • RAVI KUMAR
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Aug 11, 2006
                                                          What can we do for the newbies without doing the "introductory" sessions?

                                                          Good.
                                                          Listers please react.

                                                          There are some very important topics like FOSS GIS, which
                                                          go without a mention in LUGs or GLUGs. This conference is
                                                          a very good platform not only to initiate developers as well as Geographic Information System (GIS) users.

                                                          Please leave some room in this conference for presentations
                                                          on FOSS GIS.

                                                          Ravi Kumar

                                                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                                                          --
                                                          The List Rules : http://blug.in/list-rules

                                                          The Event Site : http://foss.in
                                                          The Event Planet : http://planet.foss.in
                                                          The Event Channel : #foss.in on irc.freenode.net
                                                          The Event List : http://foss.in/list