FOSS.IN/2006: Current status

    Message 1 of 8 , May 18, 2006
      All,

      A number of people have been writing in about FOSS.IN/2006. So I thought I'd
      put out a quick update:

      1. We are currently looking at potential venues.

      Bangalore does not have a convention centre of any usable form, and the
      Bangalore Palace is not available this year during the time period we
      traditionally look at (end November, early December). The JN Tata auditorium at
      IISc has been renovated and is feasible technically, but there are date issues
      there as well.

      We would have loved to do the event at Bangalore again, but unless someone
      comes up with a workable venue, that looks increasingly unlikely. One idea
      would be if some large company would offer its premises and facilities to the
      3-day event, which will have about 3000 participants.

      Hence we are currently evaluating Hyderabad, Chennai, Mysore, Pune and Goa as
      possible locations for the next event. While we have information about
      Hyderabad and Chennai, we need people in other cities to help us with
      recommendations about venues there. If your city isn't listed above, it is
      probably because we have insufficient information about it.

      Note the general requirements - 5-6 halls, of which at least one will be 750+,
      while others will be 150-200, a number of max-50 seater small halls/rooms,
      proxmity to food-outlets, easy access from within city/country as well as from
      outside India, tons of Internet bandwidth, 24 hour accessibility to venue,
      accommodation availability at venue or nearby.

      Also please note that the identification of a feasible venue is fundamental to
      the formal kickoff leading to this year's event.

      Please write to us at info (yat) foss dawt in, if you have any
      information/recommendations/suggestions.

      2. Yes, formats are being changed drastically this year, to accommodate the
      stupendous success of the BoFs from last year, as well as to allow for a
      barcamp-style freedom of scheduling and impromptu sessions and to encourage
      greater participation. More details on this as we go along.

      Note that formal talks and keynotes will happen as well.

      3. If you have any suggestions to improve the experience for participants,
      please feel free to make suggestions right here on this list. FYI, this list is
      rapidly approaching 1000 subscribers, with about 25 new subscribers each week.

      Statutory Notice: FOSS.IN is an event, not a movement. It's primary objective
      is to encourage the deployment and development of FOSS in India, by
      facilitating the interaction between participants from India and abroad.

      That's it for now. Let's hear from you!

      http://atulchitnis.com (Professional)
      http://atulchitnis.net (Personal)
    • Devdas Bhagat
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9 1:32 PM
        On 18/05/06 15:01 +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
        > All,
        >
        > A number of people have been writing in about FOSS.IN/2006. So I thought I'd
        > put out a quick update:

        Following your last but one blog post, can we have a rough schedule and
        venue please? I have at least one potential speaker (waves to the Linux
        Australia people) asking me about a CfP date. A couple of other people
        have raised questions of funding/sponsorship issues as well (they would
        like to get their companies to contribute).

        Oh, and some of us would like to prepare travel schedules so that we can
        attend the event.

        Devdas Bhagat
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10 8:10 AM
          Devdas Bhagat wrote:
          > Following your last but one blog post, can we have a rough schedule and
          > venue please? I have at least one potential speaker (waves to the Linux
          > Australia people) asking me about a CfP date. A couple of other people
          > have raised questions of funding/sponsorship issues as well (they would
          > like to get their companies to contribute).

          I should have some info for the group after I get back from my weekend trip.

          It is actually very easy to plan for our event, given that in the past 5
          years, it has always been the last week of November or First week of
          December :)

          > Oh, and some of us would like to prepare travel schedules so that we can
          > attend the event.

          "us"?? Where are you? :)

          Atul
        • Devdas Bhagat
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10 9:31 AM
            On 10/07/06 20:40 +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
            <snip>

            > "us"?? Where are you? :)

            In travel planning mode. Yeah, some trips I like to book early.

            Devdas Bhagat
          • Devdas Bhagat
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 19 8:43 PM
              On 10/07/06 20:40 +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
              > Devdas Bhagat wrote:
              > > Following your last but one blog post, can we have a rough schedule and
              > > venue please? I have at least one potential speaker (waves to the Linux
              > > Australia people) asking me about a CfP date. A couple of other people
              > > have raised questions of funding/sponsorship issues as well (they would
              > > like to get their companies to contribute).
              >
              > I should have some info for the group after I get back from my weekend trip.

              Are you back yet?

              Devdas Bhagat
            • Shreyas Srinivasan
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 19 11:01 PM
                On 7/20/06, Devdas Bhagat <devdas@...> wrote:

                > On 10/07/06 20:40 +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
                >
                > > Devdas Bhagat wrote:
                > > > Following your last but one blog post, can we have a rough schedule and
                > > > venue please? I have at least one potential speaker (waves to the Linux
                > > > Australia people) asking me about a CfP date. A couple of other people
                > > > have raised questions of funding/sponsorship issues as well (they would
                > > > like to get their companies to contribute).
                > >
                > > I should have some info for the group after I get back from my weekend trip.
                > >

                > Are you back yet?

                Hey,

                Atul has been doing a lot of work in the background, and is in the
                process of finalising some aspects of FOSS.IN/2006. He should give out
                more information once he has a fix on stuff. I think he is out of town
                this week and busy with work.

                --
                Shreyas
              • Devdas Bhagat
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19 11:08 PM
                  On 20/07/06 11:31 +0530, Shreyas Srinivasan wrote:
                  <snip>
                  > Atul has been doing a lot of work in the background, and is in the
                  > process of finalising some aspects of FOSS.IN/2006. He should give out

                  I have no doubt about *his* working. I am trying to get information
                  which would be useful to other people (and me) in planning trips,
                  booking tickets, etc.

                  The important stuff at this time are dates (November - Feb is peak
                  tourist season, booking tickets earlier is far cheaper than trying to do
                  it later). CfP stuff should be finished in about a month after that.

                  Devdas Bhagat
                • Shreyas Srinivasan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 19 11:15 PM
                    On 7/20/06, Devdas Bhagat <devdas@...> wrote:
                    > On 20/07/06 11:31 +0530, Shreyas Srinivasan wrote:
                    > <snip>
                    >
                    > > Atul has been doing a lot of work in the background, and is in the
                    > > process of finalising some aspects of FOSS.IN/2006. He should give out
                    >

                    > I have no doubt about *his* working. I am trying to get information
                    > which would be useful to other people (and me) in planning trips,
                    > booking tickets, etc.

                    Yes, i am sure he is *aware* of that and is working to get it done
                    as soon as possible.

                    --
                    Shreyas