LiveCD showstoppers

  • subbu_kk
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 14, 2006

      I recommend Live CDs for banking for friends and neighbours with
      malware-infested PCs. But sites like icicidirect.com would frustrate
      them. Their mutual fund page would reject all date inputs ("Invalid
      Year in From field") for order book or dividend payout reports. Big
      showstopper. I could'nt borrow my accountant's PC to get a report
      online (Never trust an a/c PCs to be free of malware given their
      penchant for Excel and macros :-)).

      Previous mails to ICICI Support yielded a standard "works on IE on
      Windows" response. Live CD-ers could take a walk. Sheer desperation
      last week drove me to download and trace their js code. The problem
      was the use of getYear instead of getFullYear. The code works on IE
      because IE doesnt conform to ECMA spec. All other browsers do. After a
      flurry of emails (including one with a gentle :-) persuasion about
      escalating the Y2K defect all the way to the top), the fix worked
      itself thru the support chain and the problem got fixed. Gotta give
      credit to their tech team for not taking the "works on IE" stand and
      fixing the code immediately.

      This set me thinking. What other sites break for Live CDs? How do the
      vendor react when we point out the problem? Have others faced any such
      showstoppers for spreading FOSS?

      Subbu K. K.
    • Laxminarayan Kamath
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 14, 2006
        On 14/03/06, subbu_kk <subbu_kk@...> wrote:

        > But sites like icicidirect.com would frustrate
        > them. Their mutual fund page would reject all date inputs ("Invalid
        > Year in From field") for order book or dividend payout reports.

        > Previous mails to ICICI Support yielded a standard "works on IE on
        > Windows" response.

        This was not enough? Why do they continue mistakes???

        Live CD-ers could take a walk. Sheer desperation

        > Gotta give
        > credit to their tech team for not taking the "works on IE" stand and
        > fixing the code immediately.

        Believe me I was also surprised it was icicidirect.com was developed
        by Infosys (correct me if I am wrong)

        --
        Laxminarayan Kamath Ammembal
        (+91) 9342287956
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 14, 2006
          --- Laxminarayan Kamath <kamathln@...> wrote:

          > On 14/03/06, subbu_kk <subbu_kk@...> wrote:
          > > Previous mails to ICICI Support yielded a standard
          > "works on IE on
          > > Windows" response.
          >
          > This was not enough? Why do they continue
          > mistakes???

          Perhaps we are being a bit harsh when dealing with
          tech support who handle hundreds of emails/day. They
          are skilled in first line response not in javascript.
          We should give them a break. I framed my request to
          fwd a short note on Y2K errors to their tech team. I
          wasnt expecting them to give me a fix or workaround.
          It took a couple of rounds but they got it finally and
          the issue was sorted out.

          Looks like their s/w testing team doesnt have FOSS in
          their test labs. I see this as an opportunity for FOSS
          not for pillory :-).

          btw, the most frequent cause of date errors are
          wrongly set date/time on PCs. I am yet to come across
          client js code that handles this gracefully. Go
          figure!

          Subbu K. K.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • pavithran
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 14, 2006
            Same with me,
            I couldnt open my dataone account through a live CD .
            It needed IE5

            PAVITHRAN S
            I support open source do you?
            Mail me at pavithransss@...
            Watch , Track and notice me at pavithrans website www.pavi.bravehost.com

          • Manu Konchady
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 15, 2006
              --- pavithran <pavithransss@...> wrote:

              > Same with me,
              > I couldnt open my dataone account through a live CD
              > .
              > It needed IE5
              >

              > PAVITHRAN S

              Try Opera (8.51). I have'nt got the "IE needed"
              message on my dataone account. It does'nt work with
              Firefox.

              Manu Konchady

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Devdas Bhagat
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 15, 2006
                On 15/03/06 03:26 -0800, Manu Konchady wrote:

                > --- pavithran <pavithransss@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Same with me,
                > > I couldnt open my dataone account through a live CD
                > > .
                > > It needed IE5
                > >

                > > PAVITHRAN S
                >
                > Try Opera (8.51). I have'nt got the "IE needed"

                Opera is not FOSS. Opera also identifies itself as IE. The second is a
                killer, because then website designers design only for IE and not to
                standards.

                Devdas Bhagat
              • Philip Tellis
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 15, 2006
                  Sometime on Mar 15, DB cobbled together some glyphs to say:

                  > Opera is not FOSS. Opera also identifies itself as IE. The second is a

                  Umm. No. Opera does not identify itself as IE any more than Firefox
                  does. It's a user pref.

                  --
                  Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves
                  up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 15, 2006
                    On 16/03/06 01:36 +0530, Philip Tellis wrote:
                    > Sometime on Mar 15, DB cobbled together some glyphs to say:
                    >
                    > > Opera is not FOSS. Opera also identifies itself as IE. The second is a
                    >
                    > Umm. No. Opera does not identify itself as IE any more than Firefox
                    > does. It's a user pref.

                    It defaults to IE. It is changable though. As always, Google is your
                    friend.
                    http://www.google.com/search?q=opera+default+identification+string

                    Devdas Bhagat
                  • Gopalarathnam Venkatesan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 15, 2006
                      On 3/16/06, Devdas Bhagat <devdas@...> wrote:

                      > It defaults to IE. It is changable though. As always, Google is your
                      > friend.
                      > http://www.google.com/search?q=opera+default+identification+string
                      >
                      > Devdas Bhagat

                      AFAIK this has changed with the recent Opera versions.

                      --
                      Gopalarathnam Venkatesan
                      http://gopalarathnam.com/
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 16, 2006
                        Sometime Today, DB cobbled together some glyphs to say:

                        > It defaults to IE. It is changable though. As always, Google is your
                        > friend.
                        > http://www.google.com/search?q=opera+default+identification+string

                        I don't recall asking a question.

                        --
                        One observes the survivors, and learns from them.

                        -- Bene Gesserit Teaching
                      • subbu_kk
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 16, 2006
                          --- In foss-in@yahoogroups.com, pavithran <pavithransss@...> wrote:

                          > Same with me,
                          > I couldnt open my dataone account through a live CD .
                          > It needed IE5
                          Which URL? What was the error message/failure?

                          Ooohh! I can't bear the suspense :-),
                          Subbu K. K.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 16, 2006
                            On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, subbu_kk wrote:

                            > Which URL? What was the error message/failure?

                            http://10.240.43.216

                            Don't bother trying unless you have a Dataone connection.

                            It works only with IE and (surprise!) Opera.

                            By default, opera no longer identifies itself as IE,

                            http://operawatch.blogspot.com/2005/07/opera-to-stop-spoofing-user-agent-as.html

                            (Devdas - as usual, search engines are your friends :)

                            so it will not work out of the box, but if you change Tools>Quick
                            Preferences>Identify as IE, it not only works, but works well.

                            Firefox, if told to identify itself as IE, will not work. This is because
                            the site does multiple checks for IE, and uses IE-specific coding, which
                            Opera supports, and Firefox does not.

                            BTW - if you live in China, opinions about Google (and Yahoo) being your
                            friends may vary. :)

                            Atul Chitnis | mail@...
                            Bangalore, India | http://atulchitnis.net
                          • K. K. Subbu
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 16, 2006
                              --- Atul Chitnis <listadmin@...>
                              wrote:

                              > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, subbu_kk wrote:
                              >
                              > > Which URL? What was the error message/failure?
                              >
                              > http://10.240.43.216
                              >
                              > Don't bother trying unless you have a Dataone
                              > connection.
                              >
                              > It works only with IE and (surprise!) Opera.
                              DataOne subscribers pay for data downloaded to their
                              machine. So the subscribers have a strong case of
                              consumer rights to get BSNL to fix their web-page.
                              Legalities aside, any clue on why the page is scripted
                              for IE only? I find BSNL engineers quite reasonable in
                              their attitude. It is just that they are working under
                              terrific pressure to meet large targets.

                              Atul, if you have the offending page, could you please
                              email it to me? I just can't wait to see why such a
                              contorted code is required in the first place :-).

                              Subbu K. K.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • pavithran
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 21, 2006
                                I second your notion.
                                We NON - IE users must be able to access data one website.
                                Being a FOSS group we can protest for our rights !!!