Re: [lb/2005] Thoughts on better audience interaction

  • Devdas Bhagat
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2005
      On 28/07/05 12:20 -0700, Viksit Gaur wrote:
      > Hullo,
      >
      > Just thinking about this on IRC - possible methods of getting the
      > crowd to interact with each other and not just run away after
      > attending a talk.
      >
      > In the normal course of events, you'd have a talk, 10 minute
      > interaction with the speaker, a cup of tea outside(?!) and .. Next
      > Talk, in Hall down the corridor. For an event like this which is
      > community driven, I guess this isn't the best method to hold the
      > participants in sway...

      Actually, looking at the OLS schedule and Kalyan's suggestions, I would
      run a schedule like this:
      1000 - 1100 talk
      1100 - 1130 break
      1130 - 1230 talk
      1230 - 1330 lunch
      1330 - 1430 talk
      1430 - 1500 break
      1530 - 1630 talk
      1630 - 1700 break
      1700 - 1800 BOF.

      > Instead, divide each talk into certain groups or parts - these are
      > logical assignments/divisions, and dont in any way affect the content
      > of the talk. Each of these groups could have a temporary SIG attached
      > to it, which could meet after the talk is over in an aclove or lawn
      > someplace.
      >
      > How this would work could well be illustrated by a fictitious talk on
      > Bluetooth. It could have a technical and a commercial SIG attached to
      > it. (Depending on the profile of the intended audience, these
      > classifications can be designed better). Thus, techies who want to
      > hack on the latest version of BlueZ could go one way, and CTOs
      > interested in adapting a particular trend in BT could go another.
      > Again, the schedule would have to account for things like this - but
      > as usual, I'm sure there are refinements to such a technique.

      Ideally, we don't want a formal talk schedule. We want to be able to put
      a whiteboard there, have a bunch of clued people come in, schedule their
      talks and run the show.

      The problem is that we have too many people instead of a small, limited,
      focussed audience, so we can't do that.

      Devdas Bhagat