Re: [lb/2005] Conference Formats

  • Vinayak Hegde
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 30, 2005
      On 6/29/05, Atul Chitnis <mail@...> wrote:
      > Welcome to the Linux Bangalore/2005 mailing list.
      [snip]
      > Please read these articles, and think about them. I am not going to lead
      > you in a specific direction - I would like to see what develops.
      >
      > So let's hear from you.

      It might be a good idea to publish all the talks in podcast format.
      I might be able to help in this respect (in getting the equipment
      and the hosting space). If you are interested, you can contact
      me offlist.

      :) Cheers
      Vinayak H
      --
      www.livejournal.com/users/vinayakh/
    • Das, Surjo [OS-IE]
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005

        I have been thinking about it. To make it different this year, we all know
        that the event is going to have a new name and a new venue.

        I feel we should give more importance to the FLOSS stalls wherein various
        projects can showcase the work that they have been doing. This would also
        give the projects an opportunity to get in more contributors to the
        projects.

        My take so far. Let me think more and voice my say. btw, is Infrastructure
        management for the event going to be handled by the Event Team or will it be
        outsourced to a commercial vendor ? I feel its better we do it ourselves at
        least for this year and outsource it next year.

        -Surjo.
      • Biju Chacko
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
          Atul Chitnis wrote:
          > Welcome to the Linux Bangalore/2005 mailing list.
          >
          > You will notice that I am still using the name "Linux Bangalore/2005" for
          > now - bear with me, the new name will be revealed in time. The LB name is
          > something you are all familiar with, so lets just use it for now while we
          > discuss.
          >
          > As promised, things are going to be different this year.
          >
          > Very different.
          >
          > How different?
          >
          > That is for you to decide.

          Decide the objectives, the formats will flow naturally from that.

          My 2c:

          * Make it smaller and more focussed.

          * Focus on making India a FOSS powerhouse.

          * Industry, Students can now take care of themselves -- there's enough
          infrastructure in place for that.

          * Focus on growing the FOSS *development* community.

          -- b
        • Arun Raghavan
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
            > My 2c:
            >
            > * Make it smaller and more focussed.

            Smaller in what way?

            > * Focus on making India a FOSS powerhouse.

            IMO, it really doesn't matter where you're from. But I possibly have a
            constricted perspective.

            > * Focus on growing the FOSS *development* community.

            I agree, but how?

            --
            Arun Raghavan
            (http://nemesis.accosted.net)
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
              Quoting "Das, Surjo [OS-IE]" <surjo.das@...>:

              > Hi,

              <snip>
              > I feel we should give more importance to the FLOSS stalls wherein various
              > projects can showcase the work that they have been doing. This would also
              > give the projects an opportunity to get in more contributors to the
              > projects.

              Uh.. how many people replied year when there was a call in this list to man a
              specific stall (KDE, was it?) .. So there'll be the Indlinux stall, and maybe
              the KDE stall.. and... well that's it. So great idea, but pardon the cynicism.
            • Shyam Mani
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 1, 2005
                On 01/07/05, avik.sengupta@... <avik.sengupta@...> wrote:

                > Uh.. how many people replied year when there was a call in this list to man a
                > specific stall (KDE, was it?) .. So there'll be the Indlinux stall, and maybe
                > the KDE stall.. and... well that's it. So great idea, but pardon the cynicism.

                IIRC, last year the call to man the stalls other than the KDE stall
                (since that went up on the KDE blog...) went out *very* late....so
                let's hope we get the request(s) out earlier this time around.

                --
                Shyam Mani | http://xinetd.accosted.net/
                Gentoo Dev | http://dev.gentoo.org/~fox2mike
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 8, 2005
                  On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 18:17:37 +0530
                  avik.sengupta@... wrote:

                  > Quoting "Das, Surjo [OS-IE]" <surjo.das@...>:
                  >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >

                  > <snip>
                  > > I feel we should give more importance to the FLOSS stalls wherein
                  > > various projects can showcase the work that they have been
                  > > doing. This would also give the projects an opportunity to get
                  > > in more contributors to the projects.
                  > >

                  > Uh.. how many people replied year when there was a call in this
                  > list to man a specific stall (KDE, was it?) .. So there'll be the
                  > Indlinux stall, and maybe the KDE stall.. and... well that's it. So
                  > great idea, but pardon the cynicism.

                  Well this time may not have a IndLinux stall, at least not me doing
                  it! Niether maybe any L10n talks by me! I have done it thrice, now
                  turn of others to take initiative. Also with the stall its has become
                  the usual, see the local interface, a peek into different apps, type
                  ur name in ur lang...etc. Also we have come to move beyond demo
                  stage. Language support is now well available in most distros, its
                  upto people to use it. It does seem that language computing culture
                  would take some time to be common (eg emailing, chatting, blogging,
                  writing in ur language regularly). Maybe a few hrs BoF on this could
                  happen on using Indic on FOSS.

                  Karunakar

                  --

                  *************************************
                  * Work: http://www.indlinux.org *
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 17, 2005
                    In accordance with the comments by several people about the need for more
                    halls of smaller capacity, we scrapped our plans for the earlier layout
                    and are now trying to make 10-15 small 50-75 seater halls available at
                    the event.

                    A couple of caveats:

                    - Clearly, it will not be possible to provide projectors or amplification
                    in each hall. Will it be OK if each of these halls are equipped with
                    whiteboards+markers, chairs, network connectivity and power?

                    - We will still need a few larger halls, would 3-4 suffice (if they are
                    about 250 seats each), with any larger place requirements kept open-air?
                    These larger halls and open-air auditoriums would of course be equipped
                    with projectors and amplification. Comments?

                    - How do we handle assignments of halls? In the past, being assigned a
                    larger hall was considered a prestige issue (which was stupid) - some
                    people felt miffed at the fact that their talks were not assigned to the
                    750 seater hall. :) There is no way to estimate the number of people who
                    will want to join a talk/discussion/BoF, but we do need to think of a way
                    to allocate halls, and possibly pre-register people for each of them. Any
                    ideas?

                    - And how do we decide what meets happen? Will people inform us before the
                    event that they plan to have a meet, and the subject, so that things can
                    be planned and announced?

                    Atul
                  • Devdas Bhagat
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 17, 2005
                      On 17/07/05 19:08 +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
                      > In accordance with the comments by several people about the need for
                      > more
                      > halls of smaller capacity, we scrapped our plans for the earlier
                      > layout
                      > and are now trying to make 10-15 small 50-75 seater halls available at
                      > the event.
                      >
                      > A couple of caveats:
                      >
                      > - Clearly, it will not be possible to provide projectors or amplification
                      > in each hall. Will it be OK if each of these halls are equipped with
                      > whiteboards+markers, chairs, network connectivity and power?

                      Think school classroom. 50 people is a bit too big to make things
                      interactive. 40 seaters x 15 halls + 250 seater x 3 + 750 seater x 1 if
                      possible. The 750 seater is for the keynotes and concluding ceremonies,
                      and possbily the very popular talks. Ideally though, this should be
                      partitionable into multiple 30-50 seater halls with whiteboards, and
                      left free for impromptu BOFs.

                      With 40 people you don't need amplifiers/mikes/... Two or three of these
                      halls can have projectors, and those MUST be requisitioned in advance by
                      the speakers.

                      > - We will still need a few larger halls, would 3-4 suffice (if they are
                      > about 250 seats each), with any larger place requirements kept open-air?
                      > These larger halls and open-air auditoriums would of course be equipped
                      > with projectors and amplification. Comments?

                      If we can avoid ambient noise, this should be fine.

                      > - How do we handle assignments of halls? In the past, being assigned a
                      > larger hall was considered a prestige issue (which was stupid) - some
                      > people felt miffed at the fact that their talks were not assigned to the
                      > 750 seater hall. :) There is no way to estimate the number of people who
                      > will want to join a talk/discussion/BoF, but we do need to think of a
                      > way to allocate halls, and possibly pre-register people for each of them.
                      > Any ideas?

                      The traditional thing is to ask people when they are registering for
                      what talks/tracks they want to attend.

                      > - And how do we decide what meets happen? Will people inform us before the
                      > event that they plan to have a meet, and the subject, so that things can
                      > be planned and announced?

                      Some people may choose to do it before (and reserve halls), others may
                      choose to do it later at the venue and depend on luck for what hall they
                      get. BOFs just get written up on a whiteboard at the registration desk
                      and put online.

                      Devdas Bhagat
                    • Vinay Y S
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 17, 2005
                        On 7/17/05, Atul Chitnis <mail@...> wrote:

                        > In accordance with the comments by several people about the need for more
                        > halls of smaller capacity, we scrapped our plans for the earlier layout
                        > and are now trying to make 10-15 small 50-75 seater halls available at
                        > the event.

                        Are you thinking of booking class rooms in a college!!?? Place that comes to
                        my mind is again IISc campus. There are many very good (architecturally
                        audio-visual correctness!) class room halls which they give out for
                        conducting various exams.

                        A couple of caveats:

                        > - Clearly, it will not be possible to provide projectors or amplification
                        > in each hall. Will it be OK if each of these halls are equipped with
                        > whiteboards+markers, chairs, network connectivity and power?

                        I guess a LCD projector would be needed. We don't want speakers wasting time
                        struggling to depict things on whiteboard. Also for demos there is no
                        alternative. The computer itself can be managed. Most industry speakers can
                        manage a laptop. Most student speakers can manage to carry a PC. Also, I've
                        seen lots of people carrying laptops. If neither of the above works then
                        they can borrow from other speakers/delegates.

                        - We will still need a few larger halls, would 3-4 suffice (if they are
                        > about 250 seats each), with any larger place requirements kept open-air?
                        > These larger halls and open-air auditoriums would of course be equipped
                        > with projectors and amplification. Comments?

                        That would depend on the speaker profile for this year. If you have many
                        very good speaker/topic combo, then you will need bigger than 250 seater
                        halls for them. Pseudo-Open-air stuff like the way it happened last time
                        with that tent will be a disaster. It will be very hot/humid and very noisy.
                        Also flat level seating arrangement makes it somewhat uncomfortable.(in
                        comparison to those acoustically great super-chilled halls of IISc!.)

                        - How do we handle assignments of halls? In the past, being assigned a
                        > larger hall was considered a prestige issue (which was stupid) - some
                        > people felt miffed at the fact that their talks were not assigned to the
                        > 750 seater hall. :) There is no way to estimate the number of people who
                        > will want to join a talk/discussion/BoF, but we do need to think of a way
                        > to allocate halls, and possibly pre-register people for each of them. Any
                        > ideas?

                        For the talks, I would suggest a ticket booking system with a waiting list
                        would do best. Anyways, people will have to register on DRS. Along with that
                        they can sketch up a schedule for themselves. There can be a confirmed seat
                        and a waiting list seat. If someone with a confirmed seat doesn't turn up at
                        the hall on time, the one next in waiting list can enter. That way there
                        will be no rush to go and catch a seat for some talk. It will be more
                        predictable and less "crowded".

                        - And how do we decide what meets happen? Will people inform us before the
                        > event that they plan to have a meet, and the subject, so that things can
                        > be planned and announced?

                        Yes, surely for every meet you need a official stick bearer who can keep the
                        noise to a minimum level. That means people informing ahead about the meet
                        and the subject. Probably, a online forum for each of those BoFs/meets can
                        act a people's interest barometer to decide if at all that is going to
                        happen or not, and if yes, how many may turn up for that meet. It can also
                        build up some momentum for the discussion.

                        Vinay YS

                      • Devdas Bhagat
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 17, 2005
                          On 17/07/05 19:47 +0530, Vinay Y S wrote:
                          > On 7/17/05, Atul Chitnis <mail@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > In accordance with the comments by several people about the need for more
                          > > halls of smaller capacity, we scrapped our plans for the earlier layout
                          > > and are now trying to make 10-15 small 50-75 seater halls available at
                          > > the event.
                          >

                          > Are you thinking of booking class rooms in a college!!?? Place that comes to
                          > my mind is again IISc campus. There are many very good (architecturally
                          > audio-visual correctness!) class room halls which they give out for
                          > conducting various exams.
                          >
                          > A couple of caveats:
                          > >
                          > > - Clearly, it will not be possible to provide projectors or amplification
                          > > in each hall. Will it be OK if each of these halls are equipped with
                          > > whiteboards+markers, chairs, network connectivity and power?
                          >

                          > I guess a LCD projector would be needed. We don't want speakers wasting time
                          > struggling to depict things on whiteboard. Also for demos there is no

                          Some things are just easier on a whiteboard. Interactivity with the
                          audience, in particular.

                          The goal of this edition of the event is to convert the regular
                          conference lecture format into a more BOF'ish one. We don't want the
                          crowd to listen to a speaker and then go home, having shared no
                          information themselves.

                          Devdas Bhagat
                        • Vinay Y S
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 17, 2005
                            On 7/17/05, Devdas Bhagat <dvb@...> wrote:
                            [snip]

                            > > > - Clearly, it will not be possible to provide projectors or
                            > amplification
                            > > > in each hall. Will it be OK if each of these halls are equipped with
                            > > > whiteboards+markers, chairs, network connectivity and power?
                            > >

                            > > I guess a LCD projector would be needed. We don't want speakers wasting
                            > time
                            > > struggling to depict things on whiteboard. Also for demos there is no
                            >
                            > Some things are just easier on a whiteboard. Interactivity with the
                            > audience, in particular.
                            >
                            > The goal of this edition of the event is to convert the regular
                            > conference lecture format into a more BOF'ish one. We don't want the
                            > crowd to listen to a speaker and then go home, having shared no
                            > information themselves.

                            Agreed. But if the speaker is way above the crowd; like Harald talking about
                            netfilter internals(lb/2003) or A R Karthick's Linux MM talk(lb/2002) and
                            many others, the knowledge flow can be mostly uni-directional. Ofcourse,
                            people did/will ask lots of questions. But much more is accomplished with
                            slides behind in such short span of time. Infact, AFAIR, that particular
                            talk of Karthick's didn't have slides due to technical reasons. The handicap
                            was very much felt.(Ofcourse, there was no whiteboard either. He was drawing
                            in thin air!)

                            I've not seen a good/fun BoF in this kind of public crowd anywhere recently.
                            So pretty much skeptic about it. Needs the right kind of people with right
                            attitude to make it work. Also there must be fairly good amount of knowledge
                            about the topic in the group. Else it will get very boring and end too soon.

                            Anyways, would love to be in some real good happening BoF'ish sessions.
                            Vinay Y S

                          • Devdas Bhagat
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 17, 2005
                              On 17/07/05 21:26 +0530, Vinay Y S wrote:
                              <snip>
                              > Agreed. But if the speaker is way above the crowd; like Harald talking about
                              > netfilter internals(lb/2003) or A R Karthick's Linux MM talk(lb/2002) and

                              And that is why talks have pre-requisites. If you say that you are
                              dealing indepth with kernel internals, and your participants should
                              familiarise themselves with kernel programming basics and C programming,
                              the crowd would have been smaller and far more focussed.

                              > many others, the knowledge flow can be mostly uni-directional. Ofcourse,
                              > people did/will ask lots of questions. But much more is accomplished with
                              > slides behind in such short span of time. Infact, AFAIR, that particular
                              > talk of Karthick's didn't have slides due to technical reasons. The handicap
                              > was very much felt.(Ofcourse, there was no whiteboard either. He was drawing
                              > in thin air!)
                              >
                              > I've not seen a good/fun BoF in this kind of public crowd anywhere recently.
                              > So pretty much skeptic about it. Needs the right kind of people with right
                              > attitude to make it work. Also there must be fairly good amount of knowledge
                              > about the topic in the group. Else it will get very boring and end too soon.

                              The point of a BoF is to get like people together to throw ideas at each
                              other and figure out new solutions. BoFs are not lectures, or tutorials.

                              Devdas Bhagat
                            • Das, Surjo [OS-IE]
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 17, 2005

                                Having smaller halls is a good idea. This would help in having diversity at
                                the event for various SIGs, BoFs, etc.

                                > - Clearly, it will not be possible to provide projectors or
                                > amplification in each hall. Will it be OK if each of these
                                > halls are equipped with
                                > whiteboards+markers, chairs, network connectivity and power?

                                The halls where the SIGs would want to meet or for BoF sessions would be
                                held wouldn't mind. This is just about enough.

                                > - We will still need a few larger halls, would 3-4 suffice
                                > (if they are
                                > about 250 seats each), with any larger place requirements
                                > kept open-air?
                                > These larger halls and open-air auditoriums would of course
                                > be equipped
                                > with projectors and amplification. Comments?

                                Open-air ? Not a good idea. Its better if the larger halls are confined to
                                an auditorium kind of a hall. The hall marshals would face a daunting task
                                if its kept open-air.

                                > - How do we handle assignments of halls? In the past, being
                                > assigned a
                                > larger hall was considered a prestige issue (which was stupid) - some
                                > people felt miffed at the fact that their talks were not
                                > assigned to the
                                > 750 seater hall. :)

                                It all depends on the topic. Key-note and inagural addresses of the day can
                                always be held at the largest hall. If a topic of discussion has the
                                potential to generate a very large audience, then it can be assigned to a
                                larger hall.

                                -Surjo
                              • Arun Raghavan
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 18, 2005
                                  > they can sketch up a schedule for themselves. There can be a confirmed seat
                                  > and a waiting list seat. If someone with a confirmed seat doesn't turn up at
                                  > the hall on time, the one next in waiting list can enter. That way there

                                  As a volunteer for the last 2 years, I don't think this is feasible.
                                  Restricting entry to a talk will be very hard to implement, and I
                                  don't think it's something we should try, unless we have some very
                                  large, intimidating people to person the doors. The only one I know on
                                  the list has already marked me for a painful execution, so I will say
                                  nothing. :D

                                  --
                                  Arun Raghavan
                                  (http://nemesis.accosted.net)
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 18, 2005
                                    On Monday 18 Jul 2005 6:24 pm, Arun Raghavan wrote:
                                    > large, intimidating people to person the doors. The only one I know
                                    > on the list has already marked me for a painful execution, so I
                                    > will say

                                    he is large but not intimidating

                                    --
                                    regards
                                    kg

                                    http://www.livejournal.com/users/lawgon
                                    tally ho! http://avsap.org.in
                                    ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
                                  • Vinay Y S
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 19, 2005
                                      On 7/18/05, Arun Raghavan <arunisgod@...> wrote:

                                      > > they can sketch up a schedule for themselves. There can be a confirmed
                                      > seat
                                      > > and a waiting list seat. If someone with a confirmed seat doesn't turn
                                      > up at
                                      > > the hall on time, the one next in waiting list can enter. That way there
                                      >
                                      > As a volunteer for the last 2 years, I don't think this is feasible.
                                      > Restricting entry to a talk will be very hard to implement, and I
                                      > don't think it's something we should try, unless we have some very
                                      > large, intimidating people to person the doors. The only one I know on
                                      > the list has already marked me for a painful execution, so I will say
                                      > nothing. :D

                                      If you have as many people at the location as the total number of seats
                                      available, it wouldn't be too difficult to manage. If you are planning for a
                                      bigger event(more # of delegates), then its best to make it this way. Also
                                      there were thoughts about getting crowd management done by professionals,
                                      right?

                                      --
                                      Vinay

                                    • Shyam Mani
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 20, 2005
                                        On 17/07/05, Atul Chitnis <mail@...> wrote:

                                        > - We will still need a few larger halls, would 3-4 suffice (if they are
                                        > about 250 seats each), with any larger place requirements kept open-air?

                                        The only thing going against open-air arrangements is the weather. We
                                        don't want to be left stranded in case the heavens decide to open up
                                        on those fateful days...

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 20, 2005

                                          And remember. Its December. Its going to be cold. I would suggest having
                                          closed auditoriums for the larger 250+ halls. Some of the SIGs + BoFs can
                                          also be done open-air if all the smaller halls are taken.

                                          -Surjo.
                                        • Arun Raghavan
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 20, 2005
                                            > If you have as many people at the location as the total number of seats
                                            > available, it wouldn't be too difficult to manage. If you are planning for a
                                            > bigger event(more # of delegates), then its best to make it this way. Also
                                            > there were thoughts about getting crowd management done by professionals,
                                            > right?

                                            Those with more experience should be able to answer, but seems like it
                                            would be a logistical nightmare (And if you consider using tehcnology
                                            to alleviate this, possibly a financial nightmare). However, consider:

                                            1) When there's a big rush for any one talk
                                            2) If there are 10-15 halls

                                            Ouch?
                                            --
                                            Arun Raghavan
                                            (http://nemesis.accosted.net)
                                            v2sw5Chw4+5ln4pr6$OFck2ma4+9u8w3+1!m?l7+9GSCKi056
                                            e6+9i4b8/9HTAen4+5g4/8APa2Xs8r1/2p5-8 hackerkey.com
                                          • Edgar D'Souza
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 20, 2005
                                              Arun Raghavan wrote:
                                              > > If you have as many people at the location as the total number of seats
                                              > > available, it wouldn't be too difficult to manage. If you are planning for a
                                              > > bigger event(more # of delegates), then its best to make it this way. Also
                                              > > there were thoughts about getting crowd management done by professionals,
                                              > > right?
                                              >
                                              > Those with more experience should be able to answer, but seems like it
                                              > would be a logistical nightmare (And if you consider using tehcnology
                                              > to alleviate this, possibly a financial nightmare). However, consider:
                                              >
                                              > 1) When there's a big rush for any one talk
                                              > 2) If there are 10-15 halls
                                              >
                                              > Ouch?

                                              Hmmm... CCTV with projection of the talk in a second hall for the
                                              overflow crowd? Wireless mikes for questions from the second hall - will
                                              they work or are they too short-range?

                                              Edgar.
                                            • Manish Malik
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 20, 2005
                                                Arun Raghavan wrote:

                                                >Those with more experience should be able to answer, but seems like it
                                                >would be a logistical nightmare (And if you consider using tehcnology
                                                >to alleviate this, possibly a financial nightmare). However, consider:
                                                >
                                                >1) When there's a big rush for any one talk
                                                >2) If there are 10-15 halls

                                                Is there any reason why expected participation statistics can't be collected
                                                beforehand, via early web-registration and allowing people to pick the talks
                                                they are most likely to attend? That would give *some* idea of which
                                                talks/BoFs need to be organized in larger halls. Add that survey to online
                                                payment process for registration, and unnecessary skewing of results can be
                                                avoided.

                                                Manish
                                              • Laxminarayan Kamath
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jul 21, 2005
                                                  On 7/21/05, Edgar D'Souza <edgar.b.dsouza@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hmmm... CCTV with projection of the talk in a second hall for the
                                                  > overflow crowd? Wireless mikes for questions from the second hall - will
                                                  > they work or are they too short-range?
                                                  >
                                                  > Edgar.

                                                  Any good idea in which the size of the hall is dynamic?
                                                  Like -- "more people? HEY! volunteer 1 and 2 ... just pull that
                                                  partition a bit further..
                                                  ad voila.. more seats can be arranged..

                                                  --
                                                  Laxminarayan Kamath Ammembal