What's happening ?

  • Das, Surjo [OS-IE]
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005

      What's happening to the event formerly known as Linux Bangalore ? We are
      only six months away. New name ? Has the event planning started ? Knock !
      Knock ! Anyone here ? Or is it just me ?

      Regards,

      Surjo.
    • Guntupalli Karunakar
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005
        On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:10:36 -0400
        "Das, Surjo [OS-IE]" <surjo.das@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > What's happening to the event formerly known as Linux Bangalore ?
        > We are only six months away. New name ? Has the event planning
        > started ? Knock ! Knock ! Anyone here ? Or is it just me ?

        Had met Mahendra few days back, then he said, this time we need new
        blood. It cant be the same people organizing always, others have to
        pitch in. Actually have been observing this in other FOSS community
        circles (LUGS, L10n teams) where its been the same people pushing
        things, there are hardly new people coming in to keep it going.

        Regards,
        Karunakar

        --

        *************************************
        * Work: http://www.indlinux.org *
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005
          On Monday 13 Jun 2005 5:07 pm, Guntupalli Karunakar wrote:
          > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:10:36 -0400
          >
          > "Das, Surjo [OS-IE]" <surjo.das@...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > What's happening to the event formerly known as Linux Bangalore ?
          > > We are only six months away. New name ? Has the event planning
          > > started ? Knock ! Knock ! Anyone here ? Or is it just me ?
          >
          > Had met Mahendra few days back, then he said, this time we need
          > new blood. It cant be the same people organizing always, others
          > have to pitch in. Actually have been observing this in other FOSS
          > community circles (LUGS, L10n teams) where its been the same people
          > pushing things, there are hardly new people coming in to keep it
          > going.

          although i agree with you in general, i dont think this applies in
          this case
          --
          regards
          kg

          http://www.livejournal.com/users/lawgon
          tally ho! http://avsap.sourceforge.net
          ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005
            On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

            > although i agree with you in general, i dont think this applies in
            > this case

            Well, let's put it this way - it is certainly time for new people to join
            the team, after all there is a limit how long one can do this. Mahendra
            and Kartik, for example, have been at it since 1999 (as have I) - half a
            decade by the end of LB/2004.

            Unfortunately, my call for new blood
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-bangalore-2004/message/1765) has not
            really produced much response. When I checked, I found that few people are
            willing to put in the kind of commitment that people like Mahendra and
            Kartik, the Sanis, Gopi, Jessie, etc. have been putting in over the past
            half decade. The event has become way too big now, and we need to be able
            to focus on content, not just infrastructure.

            That is why we are now playing with the idea of outsourcing infrastructure
            and logistics related stuff to, allowing us to focus on content. We have
            been talking to a few people, but the costs are frightening.

            IAC, while you havent been hearing much, there is definite action
            happening. Expect some news in a few days, max a week or two, definitely
            this month.

            And remember, if you have the drive and teh commitment to do what it
            takes, please read
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-bangalore-2004/message/1765 again, and
            get in touch.

            Atul
          • Guntupalli Karunakar
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005
              On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:00:25 +0530
              Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon@...> wrote:

              > On Monday 13 Jun 2005 5:07 pm, Guntupalli Karunakar wrote:
              > > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:10:36 -0400
              > >
              > > "Das, Surjo [OS-IE]" <surjo.das@...> wrote:
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > What's happening to the event formerly known as Linux
              > > > Bangalore ? We are only six months away. New name ? Has the
              > > > event planning started ? Knock ! Knock ! Anyone here ? Or is
              > > > it just me ?
              > >
              > > Had met Mahendra few days back, then he said, this time we need
              > > new blood. It cant be the same people organizing always, others
              > > have to pitch in. Actually have been observing this in other FOSS
              > > community circles (LUGS, L10n teams) where its been the same
              > > people pushing things, there are hardly new people coming in to
              > > keep it going.
              >
              > although i agree with you in general, i dont think this applies in
              > this case

              Well, I think since LB has always primarily been a community
              organized so i guess it applies! And since it was concluded that this
              year it be in a bigger and broader form, it definetely needs more new
              hands.

              Regards,
              Karunakar

              --

              *************************************
              * Work: http://www.indlinux.org *
              * Blog: http://cartoonsoft.com/blog *
              *************************************
            • Mahendra M
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005
                --- In linux-bangalore-2004@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Gonsalves

                > > Had met Mahendra few days back, then he said, this time we need
                > > new blood.

                Just a point - I was not speaking as a manager for LB/200x. (I have
                sort of retired from the manager's team - for personal/work related
                issues - 24 hrs was too short in a day - So, don't count my
                blabberings as official)

                > although i agree with you in general, i dont think this applies in
                > this case

                Why not ? LB is one of the largest events in Asia - and over the last
                few years, it was conducted by the same guys (managers and
                volunteers). There were very few new faces.

                New, fresh blood is needed for more energy, different ideas,
                perspectives, more zeal/enthu etc.

                Oldies (by mind) like me lack all the above.

                PS : I guess, this year I will attend as "audience" :-D

                Regards,
                Mahendra