Day 1

  • Das, Surjo [OS-IE]
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004

      What a Day 1 it was ! Delegates started registering at the registration
      desk at 8:30 am itself. The JNT hall started filling up at 9 am. Atul's
      voice went bad for some reason, but was able to kick off the event with some
      help from Steve Ballmer who seemed very enthusiastic about developers. The
      traditional inaguration of the event was done by the lighting of the lamp by
      the various representatives of LUGs all over India. They included Arvind
      Yadav from Goa, Tarique Sani from Nagpur, plus representatives from
      Hyderabad, Pondicherry, Delhi and myself from Bangalore.

      The first talk of the day was by Brian Behlendorf, followed by Herald Welte
      in the morning session in the JNT Hall. The 2nd half witnessed talks once
      again by Brian Behlendorf followed by Basavesh from Infosys, Ashish from HP
      and finally by Andrew Cowie from Operational Dynamics. All the talks were
      excellent and the crowd that attended the talks had a lot of questions as
      well.

      Can't type in anymore as I am exhausted. Looking forward to Day 2. See you
      all at the venue.

      Cheers,

      Surjo.
    • Vamsee Kanakala
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
        Das, Surjo [OS-IE] wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >What a Day 1 it was ! Delegates started registering at the registration
        >desk at 8:30 am itself.

        Apparently, without the delegate kits. Me and my ex-colleagues came
        there without any pens and pads assuming we would find the same in the
        delegate kits. Imagine our surprise on being caught off-guard. Some of
        us had to scramble to the nearest stationery to get some pens & paper.
        I don't need to tell you that getting the kits on the afternoon of
        second day sucked, and sucked bad.

        The talks were some good and some really bad, and it wouldn't be too far
        from truth if I say all the speakers from abroad rocked (with the
        exception of one or two). And I for one, really missed someone who would
        set the stage on fire, like Miguel/Nat last year. And, with the
        exception of 1 or 2, all the Indian speakers sucked. Badly. Ofcourse,
        this is a personal opinion, but my fellow attendees felt the same too
        (I'm speaking for atleast 6 people here).

        And, the general feeling was that the last year was far better. In
        quality of talks, and choice of topics. I had absolutely zero hopes for
        the 3rd day, but was saved by really good talks by Wietse Venema, Andrew
        Cowie and
        Srinivasan Ramakrishnan (who talked about Wiki dynamics rather well).
        The surprise was the talk on Amazon webservices, done by Vikas Gupta,
        was very interesting.

        Though I'm satisfied with the overall event, somehow I found this year's
        LB a bit unsatisfying. I'm sure many would agree with me. I'm not gonna
        complain about the 500 rupees entry fees as my company paid for me, but
        come on, not even a decent carry bag for the kit (like last year) ? And
        were the pens and pads were skipped because the kit was given on second
        day??

        And yeah, I'm not all that happy with the t-shirt either, it's loud, and
        made me think twice about wearing it to work. Can't somebody put in some
        cool stuff on the back like "Got root?" etc. and reduce the logo size
        and send it to the left of the tee? How cool would that have looked?

        The entertainment title on the first day left us scratching our heads.
        Nobody had an idea what it was, and would it be worth staying instead of
        hitting the pubs.

        I know I'm not very justified in complaining, the team did a good job, I
        have to say, but just don't disappoint us next time. Surely, we will come!

        Keep up the good work,
        Vamsee Kanakala.
      • Philip Tellis
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
          Sometime Today, Vamsee Kanakala assembled some asciibets to say:

          > would set the stage on fire, like Miguel/Nat last year. And, with the
          > exception of 1 or 2, all the Indian speakers sucked. Badly. Ofcourse,
          > this is a personal opinion, but my fellow attendees felt the same too
          > (I'm speaking for atleast 6 people here).

          Were all 6 of you attending the same talks at the same time?

          > And yeah, I'm not all that happy with the t-shirt either, it's loud,
          > and made me think twice about wearing it to work. Can't somebody put

          the t-shirt design was discussed on this mailing list. you had ample
          time to complain about it before it was finalised. if you didn't
          complain then, then you shouldn't complain now.

          --
          Like the knowledge of your own being, the sietch forms a firm base
          from which you move out into the world and into the universe.

          -- Fremen Teaching
        • Hari krishnan
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
            philip wrote:
            >>the t-shirt design was discussed on this mailing
            list. you had ample
            >>time to complain about it before it was finalised.
            if you didn't
            >>complain then, then you shouldn't complain now.

            that was long time before, by oct first week, and it
            was before i subscribed to the list. thats not an
            excuse, i know. please dont treat this as a complaint
            just a few toughts or a post mortem !

            >> And yeah, I'm not all that happy with the t-shirt
            either, it's loud, and
            >> made me think twice about wearing it to work. Can't
            somebody put in some
            >> cool stuff on the back like "Got root?" etc. and
            reduce the logo size
            >> and send it to the left of the tee? How cool would
            that have looked?

            i dont think its a good idea to break
            linux-bangalore.org
            like
            linux
            bangalore
            .org

            how would you like if you find a board like
            koraman
            -gala police
            -station
            ??

            and once i fought with the bike retailer for putting
            their name so big on my seat cover. i have to pay them
            some 250 bucks and exhibit their branding allover the
            city ! Even the Honda guys who designed, engineered,
            tested, produced, and marketed the bike has a humble
            logo on the rear. the guy who sells that bike for a
            profit has a bigger logo on the bike ! Now, how fair
            is that ?
            The logo on the tshirt was too loud. i would feel
            like a walking- talking billboard if i wear that.

            i sincerely hope along with the new name atul
            mentioned on 3rd day, we will have a good logo, if we
            are lucky enough, it will not look like a collage work
            out of a college magazine.

            =====
            I cannot be angry at God, in whom I do not believe..................
            .............Simone de Beauvoir .........

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          • Krishnan R
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
              On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 13:30 +0530, Vamsee Kanakala wrote:

              > Das, Surjo [OS-IE] wrote:
              >
              > >Hi,
              > >
              > >What a Day 1 it was ! Delegates started registering at the
              > registration
              > >desk at 8:30 am itself.
              > >

              > Apparently, without the delegate kits. Me and my ex-colleagues came
              > there without any pens and pads assuming we would find the same in
              > the
              > delegate kits. Imagine our surprise on being caught off-guard. Some
              > of
              > us had to scramble to the nearest stationery to get some pens & paper.
              > I don't need to tell you that getting the kits on the afternoon of
              > second day sucked, and sucked bad.

              Yes, I too share the same with you. The kits were awful.

              > The talks were some good and some really bad, and it wouldn't be too
              > far
              > from truth if I say all the speakers from abroad rocked (with the
              > exception of one or two). And I for one, really missed someone who
              > would
              > set the stage on fire, like Miguel/Nat last year. And, with the
              > exception of 1 or 2, all the Indian speakers sucked. Badly. Ofcourse,
              > this is a personal opinion, but my fellow attendees felt the same too
              > (I'm speaking for atleast 6 people here).

              Most of us (Indians) have the tendency of appreciating speakers from
              abroad and criticizing Indians. I have
              seen this in many forums too. I don't agree with you that most the
              Indian speakers sucked. In fact,
              many Indian speakers did a great job on the stage when compared to last
              year. Let us all learn to appreciate the
              local talents we have. Most of the talks that I attended were good with
              a good mixture of talents from
              India and abroad.

              Thanks
              Krishnan

            • Devdas Bhagat
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
                On 04/12/04 13:30 +0530, Vamsee Kanakala wrote:
                <snip>
                > The talks were some good and some really bad, and it wouldn't be too
                > far
                > from truth if I say all the speakers from abroad rocked (with the
                > exception of one or two). And I for one, really missed someone who
                > would
                > set the stage on fire, like Miguel/Nat last year. And, with the
                > exception of 1 or 2, all the Indian speakers sucked. Badly. Ofcourse,

                Ladies and gentlemen, we have a volunteer for a talk next year.

                > this is a personal opinion, but my fellow attendees felt the same too
                > (I'm speaking for atleast 6 people here).

                Oh, we have 6 speakers. Atul, may I suggest getting a bunch of names
                here? That makes 10 confirmed speakers as of this moment.

                Devdas Bhagat
              • Edgar D' Souza
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2004
                  Ditto that.
                  Somehow, the fact that they (foreign speakers) have this great white
                  skin seems to blind the OP to the painful "errr"s and "umm"s that
                  constituted major components of their speech.

                  Harald Welte /was/ good and Wietse Venema too. Unfortunately, his
                  (Wietse's) first talk seemed to be a lot of mumbling interspersed with
                  some recognizable words. Or so I thought, until I attended his second
                  talk, and sat on the other side of the hall. To my surprise, he
                  sounded *quite* clear this time around. I suspect the 750's crappy
                  sound system needs scrapping and re-purchase, and it wasn't Wietse's
                  enunciation that was at fault, at all.
                  Happily, as Atul stresse(d|s), we won't be suffering there next year.
                  Mind you, we're looking forward to something much better! <g>

                  Regards,
                  Edgar.
                • Edgar D' Souza
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2004
                    Duh!
                    The "ditto that" in the post above referred to the sentiments of
                    Krishnan R. May be very obvious in threading email clients but
                    unhappily isn't in Gmail.
                    Regards,
                    Edgar.
                  • Vamsee Kanakala
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
                      Devdas Bhagat wrote:

                      >Ladies and gentlemen, we have a volunteer for a talk next year.

                      Yes, indeed. I am thinking of giving a talk next year. Be sure to
                      remember by name and tell me how I did ;)

                      -Vamsee Kanakala.