663Re: [lb/2003] Call for Speakers ?

    Oct 3, 2003
      On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

      > Isn't LB supposed to be about FLOSS? Is Novell offering source to iuts
      > customers with redistribution rights?

      Among other things, Novell's solutions include Ximian's products (they
      purchased Ximian recently), and which is most *certainly* everything that
      FLOSS stands for ;-)

      Novell is one of the most recent entrants in the "big boys open source
      support" scenario, and we hope that they will do it right (instead of
      just using Linux as a launcher for proprietary software, the way some
      companies do).

      LB/2003 is a conference about practical and real-world deployment of open
      source technologies.

      But this does it not mean that it excludes "closed source" software if
      that software works with and supports Open Source solutions.

      For example - both Mozilla and OpenOffice (and a whole lot of other apps)
      work under Windows (which is closed source), yet they are Open Source
      apps.

      This works both ways. If a company has closed source products that support
      Open Source applications and technologies, we should encourage that stand
      and gently push them into releasing source as time goes by. Every journey
      begins with the first step.

      And before anyone takes off here in idealistic mode - the real world
      consists of closed and open software - the trick is to increase the
      latter's share, but that won't happen if we refuse to work with the
      former.

      Linux Bangalore/2003 - India's biggest Open Source event
      December 2-4, Bangalore, India
      http://linux-bangalore.org/2003
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic