Question on neck protection for fencing

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2011
      Got a question about proper neck protection when fencing. With the various swords we use we do fall under what would be considered heavy blade

      This is what the SCA says:

      4. Neck and Throat

      a. When using light rapier blades, the neck and throat must becovered by at least puncture resistant material. The bib on a modern fencing mask is not sufficient by itself.
      b. When using heavy rapier blades,and cut and thrust rapier, the neck and throat must be additionally protected by rigid material, consisting of some combination ofrigid gorget, helm and/or hood insert that covers the neck from all sides, extending down to the collar bone in front and protecting the cervical vertebrae in the back. It is recommended that such rigid material be
      backed by resilient padding.

      The LHA does not define light and heavy and in this area and requires rigid for both.

      Considering the swords we use and that we incorporate more of a LHA style fighting rigid needs to be used on the floor Sundays and Fridays.

      Very good question!!!

      Thanks,