Household Yearly Review 2009

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2009
      As we basically start another year it is time to step back and look at what we have done and what has worked and has not;

      Recruiting; we need to figure this one out. We don't seem to recruit nearly enough to build the group to have a positive impact and I think it is fair to say out of the group there is only three people that recruit at all. Is there a reason people do not recruit? When we do meet we talk about the need to grow the group, but then nothing happens. Tricia (8) and I (8) clearly lead the pack when it comes to getting new people. Gwen has helped out by inviting in another three. I would love to get feed back on this topic.

      Household Board; this gets mixed results, there are times it is very busy and then there are months I am the only posting….. I look at other boards and see the same thing so I have to believe it is more an SCA/LHA thing. Any thoughts on making the board a more important tool for you?

      Household meetings: This also gets mixed results, there have been meetings we have had only two and then there are meetings ten. We will never have 100% as we have members in three Kingdoms and several baronies. But I still need to ask and hopefully get replies, if you do not attend, would you if the meeting was on a different day? Would a change of location help people who have not attended? Should we move the meeting around? I will say having themes has helped as we have talked about many topics and much of that falls on Gwen's efforts, she has done a great job at several meetings.

      Training: I would say I wish we got better results on this topic. We have tried different venues, outside, not charge, outside with a charge, inside no charge. Unfortunately none have developed enough to support themselves. The indoor location at Camp Norse had the best results, but it never got the point to support itself and Tricia lost money. We need to continue to look for a location we can train and use for other meetings. This needs to be a group effort and not totally on Tricia and me.

      SCA/LHA event involvement; I wanted to finish on a positive. We have done well in this area. The last event we were involved in was the Smoking Rocks Birthday and we had a very good showing for household members involved. Thank you.

      All the above are things people told me they thought were important for a household and that is why we have focused on them. I hope everyone takes a moment to give this post some thought and share their thoughts on each topic.

    • u_s1king@umassd.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2009
        Personally, I've been too fried trying to finish my thesis and get a real
        job (and then move once I have the job)...I really haven't had time to do
        much else. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be able to start have
        something resembling an actual life again since my defense will be
        sometime in November.

        OT but if anyone knows a business currently hiring mechanical engineers
        either with or without a masters in marine technology the information
        would be greatly appreciated.

        -Shawna
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2009
          Thanks for the input.  It does sound like you have been busy.  I dont want to say good luck as I know it is more about the work you have put into it.  So will you have your masters after this?

          Just a suggestion, I would post your need on as many boards as you can. Networking with people in the SCA help only help.  Maybe go to the links on the left and try to connect with any board there.  Hopefully someone can give you direction.

          Philippe