Holiday Meeting

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2008
      I wanted to thank our small group for a great last meeting of the
      year. I thought we had a great meeting with lots of pizza and soda. I
      hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

      We did take time to talk some household business. Effective 09 we
      will continue to have our monthly meetings. But we instead of doing
      strickly business meetings we will conbine business, A & S and a
      meal. So this is what I need from each one of you please. List any
      dates that you cannot make a meeting for 09. We should figure a good
      three hours. This would include listing events. This would be for
      weekends. We can mix it up and go to different places we can be
      together as a group and have a few minutes to go over business. Cost
      is important as we are all on a tight budget. Also we will taking
      time to do an A & S class. Gwen has offered to do some classes.
      Gwen can you give me a list of classes? I will add that info to the
      meeting announcements on the household calendar.

      We also talked about how important it is to get more active members
      into the household. As time passes there is going to be a need to do
      more our region or they will not get done. Please create a list of
      people you think would be good additions. If you do not feel you can
      invite people give us the list and we will do the rest.

      I look forward to hearing from each of you. Thank you again to those
      that came to this meeting. :)

      Respectfully,
      Philippe Packard
    • shywolf128
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2008
        i agree that opening up our household to LARP would be a good idea as
        we met many an interested fencer at the Dragon Claw event and there
        is (contrary to popular SCA beleif) nothing wrong with crossover
        character as long as they can keep history and fantasy seperate. any
        new blood at this point would only help stregthen the walls to this
        fortress but would add to whatever group they chose to play with.
        I also agree that small classes or projects would be a good thing to
        do at meetings as we can not only grow in our personal education
        about the SCA, but encourage the younger generation to look to the
        past to change the future. As far as where we have meetings that can
        be a flexible thing as long as we can meet somewhere. Pot luck is a
        good idea so long as where we meet approves of such practices. Again
        as members we should all be looking for a meeting place as this is
        not just a head of household thing. we have more than 3 members in
        this house hold and any one can give us a suggestion to check out.
        maybe a brainstorming session is in order any way that is my opinion
        and i have been told i am very opinionated.

        have a happy holiday no matter what you celebrate. As for my family
        we say merry christmas.

        --- In fortressthreemonkeyskulls@yahoogroups.com, "Phil"

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2008
          Okay--
          Let me brainstorm about ideas for A&S  classes

          I can defintely teach a class on the period cross stitch technique i learned from Nest.

          I'm also thinking of doing an overview of sumptuary laws, both in period and in the SCA.

          I think having a bring your books in type of day would be good too, where we bring in some of our more unsuual books to share during the meeting with everybody else.

          Also I can do a class on looking objectively at illustrations and portraits to figure out how to reconstruct the garment pictured.

          Basic Pattern construction for simple garb such as tunics, chemises, sideless surcoats.

          Those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head.

          I'll keep thinking of other ideas, etc.
          -Guen

          MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!

          If I had a bigger house I'd have a huge christmas party for everybody to come over.... but alas, i do not.