Re: formsplayer debug suggestions

  • aw_032
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
      I've used a program called SOAPScope to intercept the traffic between
      webservices. It can present the soap envelope in a number of different
      ways, and is very useful to spot mistakes in the message.

      Andy.
    • Mark Birbeck
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
        Hi Andy,

        I've not looked at that one, but thanks for the reference. We've found
        Microsoft's Fiddler to be useful when testing applications. It will show you
        images as well, which is pretty handy when doing mapping forms!

        And it's free.

        Regards,

        Mark

        Mark Birbeck
        CEO
        x-port.net Ltd.

        e: Mark.Birbeck@...
        t: +44 (0) 20 7689 9232
        w: http://www.formsPlayer.com/
        b: http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/

        Download our XForms processor from
        http://www.formsPlayer.com/

        839368.1510227/D=groups/S=1705007389:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=>
        1122896331/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/
        page.php?page_id=1992
        > ">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk
        > back!</a>.</font>

      • Robert Bateman
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
          --- Peter Nunn <peter.nunn@...> wrote:
          > I did initially, when we were trying to find out why formsplayer could not sumit to visual
          >studio 2003 soap services, found it works ok with the soap1.2 services supported by vs2005 beta2
          >so moved the project over to that. but the tools caused the development boxes to crash so took
          >them off. Who makes ethereal?

          Ethereal is a free tool that can be located at http://www.ethereal.com/ It's ported to many
          platforms.

          >Seems a bit of a backward step having to look at tcp/ip packets to find this sort of problem out,
          >almost like having to use the assembly language debugger to debug xforms (have tried that as
          >well!) ;-)

          The funny thing about looking at the raw wire is that you see the *final* results sent to and
          asked for from the server. This includes other requests your form is making of the same server.
          Ethereal isn't the end all of tools, but sniffing the wire can reveal other things about your
          what's coming from the client as well. Just my opinion though.

          Bob

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • aw_032
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
            I've found Ethereal quite handy for network issues. However, I've
            found that I can't get local service calls to go via the external
            network, which means Ethereal fails to catch them. For these purposes,
            I found proxy-based tool to be more helpful.