Help: submission replace=all not working?

  • dngourley
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
      I've got a Jave servlet that reads an Xform, replaces
      some variables with specifics (e.g. the instance src)
      and sends the form to the browser. When the user wants
      to submit their form entries, the servlet receives the
      instance data, figures out where to save it and returns
      a new form to the browser. But this submission part
      isn't working. If I set the replace mode to 'all' it
      doesn't do anything...nothing is sent to my servlet.
      If I set replace mode to 'instance', my servlet gets
      the instance data and processes it but of course the
      formsPlayer does not like the response since it contains
      an Xform, not the instance data. replace=none also
      works, but of course my new form is ignored. I've tried
      setting the response code to 201 (instead of 200) but
      that doesn't help either.

      What am I doing wrong here?
    • andyh@collegenet.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        The issue here is one of the fundamental differences between XForms and old
        style HTML forms.

        With XForms you need to treat the document - the XForms and (currently) its
        container as a separate item from the actual instance data. With old style
        HTML forms everything is a document and some of them just so happen to have
        data.

        In an XForms implementation your server needs to respond to (at least) two
        URIs - one for the XForms document and one for the data. This separation of
        concerns is very important.

        So for example in our implementation we serve *static* html pages
        containing the XForms code and a servlet to handle the dynamic requests and
        submissions of data. If a particular submission requires a completely new
        document, which actually is infrequent, then we use XForms events, post
        submission, to <xf:load> the new document.

        Andy Heydon
        CollegeNET Inc

        "dngourley"
        <gourley@...
        formsPlayer@yahoogroups.com
        11/01/2004 10:55 cc
        AM
        Subject
        [formsPlayer] Help: submission
        Please respond to replace=all not working?
        formsPlayer@yahoo
        groups.com

        I've got a Jave servlet that reads an Xform, replaces
        some variables with specifics (e.g. the instance src)
        and sends the form to the browser. When the user wants
        to submit their form entries, the servlet receives the
        instance data, figures out where to save it and returns
        a new form to the browser. But this submission part
        isn't working. If I set the replace mode to 'all' it
        doesn't do anything...nothing is sent to my servlet.
        If I set replace mode to 'instance', my servlet gets
        the instance data and processes it but of course the
        formsPlayer does not like the response since it contains
        an Xform, not the instance data. replace=none also
        works, but of course my new form is ignored. I've tried
        setting the response code to 201 (instead of 200) but
        that doesn't help either.

        What am I doing wrong here?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        (Embedded image moved to file: pic25603.gif)click here

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • Mark Birbeck
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
          Hi,

          Could you confirm what version you are using? We did have some problems in
          this area a while ago, so it's worth just checking that they haven't been
          fixed in a newer version.

          If you are using the latest version (1.1.0.1012) then I suggest you put your
          forms on the list, and we'll get to the bottom of it.

          Regards,

          Mark

          Mark Birbeck
          CEO
          x-port.net Ltd.

          e: Mark.Birbeck@...
          t: +44 (0) 20 7689 9232
          w: http://www.formsPlayer.com/

          Download our XForms processor from
          http://www.formsPlayer.com/

        • Don Gourley
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
            Mark, thanks for your reply. I just installed the latest
            1.1 patch and preliminary testing indicates that this is
            resolving my replace="all" problem.

            -Don