Re: Javascript dummy comment

  • fen.strat
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2006
      Hi Manuel,

      The exact issue relates to styling the comment div for printing. Try a
      print preview of the phpclasses site's login page:
      http://www.phpclasses.org/login.html?page=
      At least under win/firefox the entire div in being displayed. This
      must be an issue with firefox's treatment of the noscript tag.

      But I think this is missing the point.
      You have a message to tell a user what to do (or what the form won't
      do) if javascript is disabled. Not being able to set this message is
      rather limiting.
      Surely it makes sense to be able to enable/diable the <noscript>
      message, and set the content of the message.

      The purpose of this change is accessibility. With more and more use of
      javascript it is common practice to alert a user without javascript
      enabled to a lack of application functionality.

      Cheers, Saul

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2006

        on 05/30/2006 12:25 AM fen.strat said the following:
        > The exact issue relates to styling the comment div for printing. Try a
        > print preview of the phpclasses site's login page:
        > http://www.phpclasses.org/login.html?page=
        > At least under win/firefox the entire div in being displayed. This
        > must be an issue with firefox's treatment of the noscript tag.

        I could not reproduce the behavior in Firefox 1.5.0.4 under Linux.

        Since the div does not contain nothing, nothing appears.

        Anyway, if it helps I can add style="display: none" to the div and so
        nothing should appear in the div place.

        > But I think this is missing the point.
        > You have a message to tell a user what to do (or what the form won't
        > do) if javascript is disabled. Not being able to set this message is
        > rather limiting.

        That messages is not for the user but rather to please some validators.
        It has nothing to do with accessibility because no user is supposed to
        see anything when the browser does not support Javascript.