Re: [forms-dev] Dynamic linked select inputs retrieving options remotely using AJAX

  • operationsengineer1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2006
      > Hello,
      >
      > I have just finished implementing several
      > enhancements that make
      > possible to use the linked select inputs in a way
      > that they retrieved
      > the new set of options from the server using AJAX.
      >
      > Now there is a parameter named Dynamic that makes
      > the input retrieve the
      > options from the server dynamically, rather than
      > options groups in the forms Javascript.
      >
      > This enhancement opened the possibility to take the
      > groups of options
      > from other sources besides static arrays.
      >
      > To demonstrate this possibility I also created a new
      > plug-in class that
      > extends the linked select input to retrieve the
      > options from a database
      > rather the static groups arrays.
      >
      > This new plug-in class uses the Metabase API to
      > access the database. So,
      > it can work with many databases. I am also providing
      > a database schema
      > definition in the Metabase schema format and an
      > installation script so
      > you can easily setup the database to run the example
      > script.
      >
      > I am also going to provide another plug-in class
      > that uses the MySQL API
      > directly. I will upload MySQL linked select plug-in
      > later today. Other
      > APIs maybe supported by other developers that use
      > them. It is easy to
      > adapt the custom plug-in examples.
      >
      > Please test this now and let me know of any problems
      > that you may find.
      > I will publish this new version next week. Meanwhile
      > you may find this
      > beta version files here:

      hi Manuel. thanks for the updates to the forms class.
      i'm trying to learn how you implement ajax. is it
      possible to have an adodb plugin? it is pretty
      popular, after all.

      i'll study your implementation, but i want to ask
      anyway. is it possible to send a query to the db
      based on variables already set in two prior select
      boxes? i'll dig in and see if i can figure it out on
      my own.

      thanks again.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • operationsengineer1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2006
        > hi Manuel. thanks for the updates to the forms
        > class.
        > i'm trying to learn how you implement ajax. is it
        > possible to have an adodb plugin? it is pretty
        > popular, after all.
        >
        > i'll study your implementation, but i want to ask
        > anyway. is it possible to send a query to the db
        > based on variables already set in two prior select
        > boxes? i'll dig in and see if i can figure it out
        > on
        > my own.
        >
        > thanks again.

        reviewing

        "GroupsQuery"=>"SELECT code FROM countries",
        "OptionsQuery"=>"SELECT code, name FROM locations
        WHERE country=?",

        it looks like it isn't possible to take the input of
        two different select boxes in its current state.

        i envision something like:

        "Groups1Query"=>"SELECT code FROM continents",
        "Groups2Query"=>"SELECT code FROM countries",
        "OptionsQuery"=>"SELECT code, name FROM locations
        WHERE continent=? and country=?",

        of course, this approach doesn't make much sense in
        this case. however, it does make sense when the 2nd
        select is static.

        eg, each serial number has 6 tests and you need to
        check for the pass / fail state of each of the 6
        tests.

        it doesn't make much sense to link the 6 tests to each
        serial number because they aren't variable - they are
        always the same.

        i think i have to break this part of my code into two
        pages and pass the test area variable to the second
        page - then i only have to link two selects.

        again, thanks for the nice forms class. i recommended
        it, over on the php-pgsql mailing list, to some
        php/pgsql newbies trying to set up php and pgsql.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2006
          Hello,

          on 01/11/2006 08:36 PM operationsengineer1@... said the following:
          > hi Manuel. thanks for the updates to the forms class.
          > i'm trying to learn how you implement ajax. is it
          > possible to have an adodb plugin? it is pretty
          > popular, after all.

          Sure, I do not have an interest on it because I do not use it, but you
          are welcome to write it. Just pick the existing plug-in sub-classes and
          adapt to use that or other database API. Than you can publish it in the
          PHP Classes site as separate dependent class.

          > i'll study your implementation, but i want to ask
          > anyway. is it possible to send a query to the db
          > based on variables already set in two prior select
          > boxes? i'll dig in and see if i can figure it out on
          > my own.

          The class would need to be adapted to work with more than one linked
          input. I do not have time right now, but I may work on that later.