IE Quirks Mode heads Up

  • operationsengineer1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2005
      for anyone interested...

      the following code used to bring in your content
      template:

      $form->StartLayoutCapture();
      REQUIRE_ONCE(TPL);
      $form->EndLayoutCapture();
      $form->DisplayOutput();

      will add

      <form method="post" action="" id="content_form"
      name="location_form">

      at the beginning on your content template and

      </form>

      at the end fo your template when it produces the html
      for display.

      this might not be too big an issue if you expecting IE
      to run in "quirks mode".

      if you don't want to run in quirks mode (it totally
      screwed up my attempt to get ie to adhere to a
      required minimum width), however, you don't want
      anything before your doctype.

      i solved this by:

      REQUIRE_ONCE(HEADER);
      $form->StartLayoutCapture();
      REQUIRE_ONCE(TPL);
      $form->EndLayoutCapture();
      $form->DisplayOutput();

      where HEADER is a defined url constant (at top of
      page) pointing to a file that contains my header -
      which includes the doctype. the doctype prints before
      the <form> element is added and this should avoid
      quirks mode.

      for anyone interested in learning more about css...

      i *highly* recommend sitepoint's css forum...
      especially this thread...

      http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143801&page=1&pp=25

      and this website...

      http://www.pmob.co.uk/

      the examples are beautified... but the potential is
      there to make some *really* nice layouts and
      interfaces.

      best of luck.

      http://farechase.yahoo.com