Bizarre Opera Behavior

  • operationsengineer1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2005
      hi Manuel,

      this is an unusual problem, but i thought i'd bring it
      up, anyway. i don't think this is a styling issue.

      i have three columns in my html. when i display the
      page outside of the forms class, it displays correctly
      in opera - ie, the left column header is correctly
      positioned at the top of the left column.

      however, using the exact same markup, if i use...

      $form->StartLayoutCapture();
      REQUIRE_ONCE(TPL);
      $form->EndLayoutCapture();
      $form->DisplayOutput();

      to call up my template (TPL is constant), all of a
      sudden opera displays the left column title below the
      middle column content.

      ie and firefox work like a charm, so this may be an
      opera bug - and a bizarre one at that.

      i thought i'd let you know b/c of the fact the bug
      exhibits itself while using the forms class.

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 26, 2005

        on 09/26/2005 05:09 PM operationsengineer1@... said the following:
        > ie and firefox work like a charm, so this may be an
        > opera bug - and a bizarre one at that.
        >
        > i thought i'd let you know b/c of the fact the bug
        > exhibits itself while using the forms class.

        The class only generates HTML and is not influenced by whatever browser
        the user is using. Therefore, the problem has nothing to do with the class.

        I suggest that you avoid playing with CSS because it is a known fact
        that there are differences of interpretation and rendering of documents
        with CSS styles.

        http://www.phpclasses.org/reviews/

      • operationsengineer1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 26, 2005

          > on 09/26/2005 05:09 PM operationsengineer1@...
          > said the following:
          > > ie and firefox work like a charm, so this may be
          > an
          > > opera bug - and a bizarre one at that.
          > >
          > > i thought i'd let you know b/c of the fact the bug
          > > exhibits itself while using the forms class.
          >
          > The class only generates HTML and is not influenced
          > by whatever browser
          > the user is using. Therefore, the problem has
          > nothing to do with the class.
          >
          > I suggest that you avoid playing with CSS because it
          > is a known fact
          > that there are differences of interpretation and
          > rendering of documents
          > with CSS styles.

          hi Manuel, i'm sure you are right. i'm going to have
          make a project figuring out why this occurs.

          i do concur that css and consistent cross browser
          compatibility is a programming hornets nest. css and
          cross browser compatibility is *by far* the most
          difficult thing i've worked since i started web
          application programming last year.

          i wish i had the sense to listen to you. ;-) when
          css works, though, it is really nice - so i'm going to
          try and stick it out a little more.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005

            on 09/23/2005 12:54 PM operationsengineer1@... said the following:
            >>> i'll read up on the custom plugins. however, i
            >> don't
            >>> have the javascript knowledge to try and implement
            >>> this at this time, although, i think it would be a
            >>> cool project (and something i'd like to do as a
            >> thanks
            >>> for all you've done). i'll review a javascript
            >> book i
            >>> have at home and see if it gives me any leads.
            >> i'm
            >>> thinking slider if js is enabled degrading to a
            >> select
            >>> if js isn't enabled. i saw that feature on one of
            >> the
            >>> sliders that i reviewed on the net.
            >> If you can provide a link to where we can see what
            >> you mean, that may
            >> help figuring how hard it would to implement that.
            >>

            > Manuel, here are a few I Googled. There was another
            > commercial one that looked nice, but I can't seem to
            > find it right now. if i do, i will forward it to you.
            >
            > http://www.blueshoes.org/en/javascript/slider/
            >
            > http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/slider/demo.html?css=css/luna/luna.css
            >
            > do a search for "slider" or "xslider" on the page
            > below:
            >
            > http://docs.xuiframework.com/examples.jsp#xslider

            That is nice. I did not reach a conclusion on how that is done, but I
            think that some of these projects let you use their Javascript. So it
            may not be too hard for you to build your own custom input using their
            controls Javascript.

            http://www.phpclasses.org/reviews/