Re: Linked Selects -> Modify input data

  • Kike Becerra
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 5, 2005
      Hi again Manuel
      I got your reply, and well...

      When user clicks "modify record" the form shows again, with the linked
      selects, all right, but well, I want to assign a predetermined value
      to the select, but the VALUE property it is already assigned with this
      code, which fills the select

      "VALUE"=>Key($paises),

      And I'd like to:
      1- Fill each select
      2- And after 1) assign a value (from its list) to each select

      "VALUE"=>$value_user_has_in_its_record;

      Hope you've understood my idea...

      Thanks a lot for helping

      --- In forms-dev@yahoogroups.com, Manuel Lemos <mlemos@a...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > on 08/30/2005 09:38 PM Kike Becerra said the following:
      > > Hi again
      > > I've 3 operations in my clients db:
      > > - Add
      > > - Modify
      > >
      > > If user chooses ADD, i generate the form with the linked selects.
      > > User chooses country=EEUU then (after 2nd select fills) he chooses
      > > state=Chicago and then presses add button, and info is stored in db.
      > >
      > > If user chooses MODIFY, then I must generate another form, with the
      > > difference that fields should not be blank, but filled with data from
      > > the record that must be modified
      > >
      > > So, if user originally choosed country=EEUU & state=Chicago, how could
      > > I do for having this automatically set in the 2 linked selects ?
      > > I mean: instead of seeing
      > > Country: -= SELECT A COUNTRY =-
      > > State: -= SELECT A STATE =-
      > >
      > > I should have
      > > Country: EEUU
      > > State: CHICAGO
      > >
      > > and these 2 fields should be also linked... like the form for adding a
      > > new record...
      >
      > You just need to set the VALUE property of each select. Each linked
      > select input will pick the initial group from the VALUE of its
      predecessor.

      > PHP Reviews - Reviews of PHP books and other products
      > http://www.phpclasses.org/reviews/

      > http://www.meta-language.net/metastorage.html
    • Kike Becerra
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2005
        Hi again
        Please ignore/delete my last message
        I thought the VALUE option for select was the one which served to fill
        the select with values, but I noticed that OPTIONS was really for this...
        I assigned VALUE=>$field

        And everything went ok

        Thanks !!!

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2005
          Hi again (lol)

          I've the 2 linked selects...
          When I modify a record, I set the value of the 1º select and it works,
          but when I try to assign a value to the 2º select, it doesn't work...

          What's wrong ?
          Here i post the code for the 2º select...
          When I see the form, the 1º select is with the corresponding option
          selected, but the 2º select is with the 1º option..

          $form->AddInput(array(
          "TYPE"=>"custom",
          "ID"=>"campoprovincia",
          "NAME"=>"campoprovincia",
          "LABEL"=>"Localidad: ",
          "CustomClass"=>"form_linked_select_class",
          "VALUE"=>$camponombreloc,
          "SIZE"=>1,
          "Groups"=>$provin,
          "LinkedInput"=>"campopais",
          "ValidateAsNotEmpty"=>1,
          "ValidationErrorMessage"=>"Seleccione una localidad"
          ));

        • operationsengineer1@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2005
            Kike,

            i can't help much here other to say i think this is
            supposed to be Manuel's answer (from prior post)...

            ---
            You just need to set the VALUE property of each
            select. Each linked select input will pick the initial
            group from the VALUE of its predecessor.
            ---

            i'm not working through this issue (yet!), so the
            above doesn't make too much sense to me - especially
            my inference that the values somehow cascade through
            the linked selects.

            assuming i'm understanding you correctly...

            i assume you have variables that you use to send
            information to your db. you could create a session
            and pass those variables to the next page and then
            assign the appropriate SESSION variable (used to be db
            input variables in prior page) to the appropriate form
            element's VALUE value.

            the VALUE for each element should equal the entry
            entry into the db.

            depending on your setup you may be able to do this
            with the POST variables.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2005
              Hello,

              on 09/05/2005 12:26 PM Kike Becerra said the following:
              > I've the 2 linked selects...
              > When I modify a record, I set the value of the 1º select and it works,
              > but when I try to assign a value to the 2º select, it doesn't work...
              >
              > What's wrong ?
              > Here i post the code for the 2º select...
              > When I see the form, the 1º select is with the corresponding option
              > selected, but the 2º select is with the 1º option..
              >
              > $form->AddInput(array(
              > "TYPE"=>"custom",
              > "ID"=>"campoprovincia",
              > "NAME"=>"campoprovincia",
              > "LABEL"=>"Localidad: ",
              > "CustomClass"=>"form_linked_select_class",
              > "VALUE"=>$camponombreloc,
              > "SIZE"=>1,
              > "Groups"=>$provin,
              > "LinkedInput"=>"campopais",
              > "ValidateAsNotEmpty"=>1,
              > "ValidationErrorMessage"=>"Seleccione una localidad"
              > ));

              The VALUE property must be one of the values of the group that is
              currently selected by the campopais field.

              http://www.phpclasses.org/reviews/

            • Mark Ty
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 20, 2006
                Just want to share my experience...

                I have a similar set up of using add-modify. I have one PHP file that
                I use for BOTH add and modify.

                the Add works perfectly but for modify the 2nd select was not working...

                My Logic for MODIFY is
                if $doit
                SQL UPDATE
                else
                SQL SELECT
                SetInputValue for all fields.

                However, I was getting something about a VALUE is not changeable error
                message for my linked_select code:

                $subscription->SetInputValue("secondfield", $rs->fields["secondfield"]);

                I found that the VALUE property must be set in the AddInput method at
                the top of the page... which at this point I don't know if i'm running
                in ADD or Modify or if the form WasSubmitted or Validated because I'm
                still defining the form input fields. Now remember that normally I set
                all my values to "" and later after runnning the "WasSubmitted" and
                the "Validate" test I set the values for all the fields.

                So my work around is to run the SQL twice... once at the top and again
                in my normal place at the bottom. Because this only calls one row but
                twice, there is minimal overhead for me. It would of been "nice" and
                "cleaner" to just set everything with the if $doit.

                I'm just ranting... if this rant helps someone else then well and good
                :) If my rant show's that I did it wrong or overlooked something, then
                I'd gladly like to hear what you have to say :)