Re: I need help please!

  • PerryMK
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2004
      One place to start is www.fbi.gov and searching for "contamination"
      or "Forensic Contamination"

      If you have access to a college library or ProQuest (a literature
      search engine) try similar searches.

      Different areas you might consider include contamination of evidence
      at the scene, contamination in the lab, contamination in
      transit/storage, cross-contamination of evidence, etc.

      Good luck.
    • executivemaxmd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 30, 2004
        In a message dated 10/30/2004 11:23:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        mbmiiipunk@... writes:

        Ok well I'm a Senior in Highschool and I have to do a Senior Project
        and Paper, I wanted my paper to be on Forensic Contamination, if
        anyone could help me with finding some information on that, it would
        be greatly appreciated. Maybe post a site where I can find that type
        of information or something. I don't know what I should do for my
        project though it can be pretty much anything, I was thinking about
        talking with a local detective and like going over a case that used
        forensics or something.. but I don't know any help in that area
        would be great also! On a different note I want to be a Forensic/
        Criminal Profiler when I am older but I don't know what classes and
        such I should take. I've applied to John Jay College of Criminal
        Justice and I was going to major in Forensic Technologies and
        Criminology, but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track with that.
        And advice would help tons! thanks so much!!
        *Nell*
        Hi Nell you might want to read Forester Introductio to Forensic in the mean
        time you may want to type the words Forensic contamination and you should be
        able to get to the right direction. To be a a Forensic Scienctis you should be
        well versed in the field of chemistry and biology, mathematics and physic but
        mainly Chemistry and Biology. John Jay is a good way to start they have an
        excellent program there.

        Maxime Darbouze
        Forensic Chemist

      • Rae
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
          Greetings all,

          For a novel I'm writing, I need to know what kind of a condition a
          body would be in after 2 days in a rural area behind a woodpile in
          summer in the mountains, figuring temp ranges from maybe 60 at night
          to 80 in the daytime. The victim died of suffocation, but so far it
          was accidental (it was a kidnapping that went wrong), so I'm thinking
          maybe they gagged and blindfolded him and he just couldn't breathe.
          What might show up in the autopsy if that happened? How much ligature
          bruising would there be on wrists and ankles? The body gets found
          about 4 days after he disappeared. It's also a skinny 14 y.o. boy.
          I'm also assuming there would be animal and insect bites and tears.

          Also, a silver chain and pendant has been found, I don't know yet if
          it really belongs to the perpetrators, or if I'll just have it be a
          red herring, but it's sterling, and might have lain in the dirt near
          the kidnapping site for all the six years since the crime, or it
          might be unrelated and have been there much longer or not very long
          at all. Don't really know yet. Would there be any chance of finding
          any useful evidence on it? Say if a hair got caught in it? Or a
          fingerprint on the back of the pendant?

          Thanks in advance for any help. If there is a site that gives this
          sort of info, please do let me know.

          Rae

          --
          Rachel Rice, M.A.
          Freelance indexing and editing * Brookline, Vermont USA
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
            In addition, although it's not physical contamination of evidence, any
            breach in the chain of custody for evidence could lead to inadmissible
            evidence. Might want to mention that not all types of contamination are
            physical.
            Good luck!
            Colleen

            >Different areas you might consider include contamination of evidence
            >at the scene, contamination in the lab, contamination in
            >transit/storage, cross-contamination of evidence, etc.

          • Wally Lind
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2004
              Q- I need to know what kind of a condition a
              body would be in after 2 days in a rural area behind a woodpile in
              summer in the mountains

              A- Depending on a lot of things like moisture levels, sunlight, how much of the body was exposed, the body could have some decomposition that would be visible. The may also be signs of animals feeding on the body.

              Q- gagged and blindfolded him and he just couldn't breathe.
              What might show up in the autopsy if that happened?

              A- It's difficult to tell if the gag, blindfold, and ties are still on the body, from your question. If they are not, they will have left marks on the body, especially if they were on it post-mortem. In suffocation, there are often tiny hemorrhages in the whites of the eyes, under the eyelids and on the mucus tissues in the mouth.

              Q-Would there be any chance of finding
              any useful evidence on it? Say if a hair got caught in it? Or a
              fingerprint on the back of the pendant?

              A- Hair, maybe but it may not be of much use as evidence. Fingerprint, very very unlikely. I have seen prints in contaminants like grease leave a lasting print on brass when the contaminant rusted.

              ----- Original Message ----- From: Rae
              For a novel I'm writing, figuring temp ranges from maybe 60 at night
              to 80 in the daytime. The victim died of suffocation, but so far it
              was accidental (it was a kidnapping that went wrong), so I'm thinking
              maybe they How much ligature
[...]

              From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account settings.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Rae
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 14, 2004
                Wally, thank you so much for your information. Sorry I didn't reply
                sooner. Your input was very helpful and I will be incorporating it
                into my story. Thanks again for your time.

                Rae