Thanks

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2004
      Thank you guys for all your help....next question is would it be
      wiser to go pre med or forensic science in order to become a
      forensic pathologist?
    • Hause, David W LTC GLWACH
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
        As a general rule, medical schools' admissions require typically a year of physics, a year of biology, chemistry through the second semester of organic, and (variable) a year of college level math. Once those are out of the way, you can major in about anything. Historically, hard science majors have a greater probability of admission than others, probably (my speculation)because they do better on the MCAT, but get the admissions book from the Association of American Medical Colleges, http://www.aamc.org/. I was accidentally a chemistry major. Pick a major that will help you find a job you like if you don't get in to medical school, chemistry or similar specific hard science gives you a broader field than forensic science.
        Dave Hause, Pathologist, Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
        David.Hause@...
        Thank you guys for all your help....next question is would it be
        wiser to go pre med or forensic science in order to become a
        forensic pathologist?
      • Julie Jakoubek
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
          A forensic pathologist is a speciality off of regular pathology. So you have
          to go to med school anyway for your degree in pathology. Going into forensic
          pathology will garner you all the forensic schooling you will need. My
          opinion only, but head for med school, and go from there.

          Good luck !!!!

          Julie

          Thank you guys for all your help....next question is would it be
          wiser to go pre med or forensic science in order to become a
          forensic pathologist?

          com

          >From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes
          links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account
          settings.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

        • cpm163
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
            In order to be a forensic pathologist, you must first earn a medical
            degree:

            How does one become a forensic pathologist?
            1) After high school the future forensic pathologist attends college
            for 4 years and receives a bachelors degree.
            2) After undergraduate school the aspiring forensic pathologist spends
            4 years in medical school, earning an M.D. or D.O. degree.
            3) After medical school there are several routes by which one may
            become a forensic pathologist. One may spend 5 years training in
            anatomic & clinical pathology followed by 1 year of residency or
            fellowship in forensic pathology. A second option is to train for 4
            years in anatomic pathology and train for 1 year in forensic
            pathology. The residency training in forensic pathology involves
            practical (On-the-job) experience supervised by trained forensic
            pathologist. The forensic pathology resident actually performs
            autopsies and participates in death investigation. To become
            certified, one then must pass an examination given by the American
            Board of Pathology certifying special competence in forensic
            pathology.

            For more informaton check out the National Association of Medical
            Examiner's webpage at: www.thename.org

            Good luck!

            --- In forensic-science@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer" <jtate84@y...>
            wrote:
            > Thank you guys for all your help....next question is would it be
            > wiser to go pre med or forensic science in order to become a
            > forensic pathologist?
          • Gordon Couger
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
              You get a broader range of experience in Vet school than Med school
              in pathology. Particularly in the parisitotolgy end of it. It is
              probably easier to get in Med school some were than Vet school as
              there aren't that many spaces in the world.

              Gordon

              Gordon Couger
              Stillwater, OK
              www.couger.com/gcouger

              : A forensic pathologist is a speciality off of regular pathology.
              So you have
              : to go to med school anyway for your degree in pathology. Going
              into forensic
              : pathology will garner you all the forensic schooling you will
              need. My
              : opinion only, but head for med school, and go from there.
              :
              : Good luck !!!!
              :
              : Julie
              :
              : Thank you guys for all your help....next question is would it be
              : wiser to go pre med or forensic science in order to become a
              : forensic pathologist?
              :
              :
              :
              :
              : To subscribe send a blank e-mail to:
              forensic-science-subscribe@yahoogroups
              : com
              :
              : >From the home page you can search the list archives. It also
              includes
              : links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your
              account
              : settings.
              :
              :
              : Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              :
              :
              :
              :
              :
              :
              : Yahoo! Groups Links
              :
              : To visit your group on the web, go to:
              :
              : To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              :
              : Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              Service.
              :
              :
              :
              :
              : [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              :
              :
              :
              :
              : ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
              Sponsor --------------------~-->
              : Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
              : Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
              : http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/M4xqlB/TM
              : ------------------------------------------------------------------
              --~->
              :
              : To subscribe send a blank e-mail to:
              forensic-science-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              :
              : >From the home page you can search the list archives. It also
              includes links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify
              your account settings.
              : Yahoo! Groups Links
              :
              :
              :
              :
              :
            • Robert Parsons
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                Forensic science degree programs for the most part concentrate on
                Criminalistics, not pathology, so an FS degree is of little or no use for
                the aspiring forensic pathologist. Since becoming a forensic pathologist
                requires you to first go to medical school and earn an MD degree, in my
                opinion a good pre-med program would be by far the better choice (after all,
                it's designed specifically to prepare you for medical school). However, as
                Dave House pointed out, so long as you fulfill all the prerequisites of
                whatever med school you want to go to, your specific major isn't necessarily
                all that important. On the other hand, in my opinion science majors on
                average are more likely to make better doctors (and therefore pathologists)
                than other majors, simply because they receive more training in scientific
                disciplines. Medicine (and the medical sub-discipline of pathology, to
                include forensic pathology), is today much more of a science than an art, so
                in my opinion medical students should, first and foremost, strive to master
                science and become accomplished scientists. Then they will be well prepared
                to become medical scientists (doctors and pathologists).

                Bob Parsons, F-ABC
                Forensic Chemist
                Indian River Crime Laboratory
                Ft. Pierce, FL