RE: [forensic-science] Non-Secreter

  • Robert Parsons
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
      Secretor status refers to blood protein antigen/antibody markers, which were
      used in the "classical" serological methods of blood identification in the
      days before the advent of DNA analysis. "Secretors" secrete these blood
      markers into their other body fluids (saliva, tears, sweat, milk, etc.)
      while "non-secretors" do not. Therefore, you can determine the blood type
      of a "secretor" by testing body fluids other than blood, but would need
      actual blood to test the blood type of a non-secretor. About 80% of the
      population are secretors, and about 20% are non-secretors. Secretor status
      is of rapidly diminishing relevance today. Few labs (in the USA at least)
      do antigen/antibody analysis anymore because DNA methods are so much more
      definitive. Secretor status is irrelevant in DNA analysis.

      Bob Parsons, F-ABC
      Forensic Chemist
      Indian River Crime Laboratory
      Ft. Pierce, FL
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
        Try "phosphoglucomutase" (aka: PGM) in Google.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 22, 2004
          Bob;
          Thank you very much for the information. It really helps me. I now
          understand what the term means.
          Brian Romesburg

        • RainmanBinks@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 22, 2004
            Willclone4food;
            Thank you very much for your help. I will go to that website to learn
            all about it. Thanks again.
            Brian Romesburg

          • Robert Parsons
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 23, 2004