RE: [forensic-science] Need Help

  • S. Frank
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2000
      I am attending the forensic science program at Florida International
      University in Miami Florida. If you are interested you can contact Dr.
      Almirall at (almirall@...) he is over the forensic science program.
      Good luck

      >From: "Trista Hegwood" <trista@...>
      >To: <forensic-science@egroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [forensic-science] Need Help
      >Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:16:27 -0700
      >
      >I'm attending the University of New Haven. They have a criminalist program.
      >www.newhaven.edu
      >George Washington University also has a good program. I believe John Jay in
      >New York does as well.

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Melinda DeMarco
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2000
        Hi, I am attending University of New Haven also, Can you tell me more about the criminalist program, are you attending any classes offered by H. Lee?

      • llong73120@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2000
          HELLO,
          WHAT ARE SOME OF THE REQUIRED CLASSES NEED TO OBTAIN A BS IN FORESIC SCI
          AT FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL UNIV? IS THERE A MASTERS PROGRAM?

          LAURA LONG
          OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA
        • Eric Stauffer
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2000

            None, because there is no BS in FS @ FIU.

            > IS THERE A MASTERS PROGRAM?

            Yes, see http://www.fiu.edu/~ifri/

            Regards,

            Eric Stauffer

          • llong73120@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2000
              ERIC S,
              WHAT TYPE OF DEGEES ARE OFFERED AT FIU IN FORENSIC SCI?

              LAURA
            • Robert Parsons
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 9, 2000
                RE: [forensic-science] Need Help

                Don't worry.  Your dual degree in biology and criminal justice should be all you need to break into forensics work.  Contact a lab in the part of the country you want to work in, and talk to them about your curricula.  They'll let you know if there's anything you need to add in the way of electives.  As a senior project, it would be great if you can obtain an internship in a local crime lab - you may not get paid, but you will gain valuable experience and a BIG plus on your resume when you start to look for a job.

                You will find a division of labor regarding crime scene evidence collection and lab analysis in most labs today.  Generally, you either do one or the other, not both.  Most crime scene collection today is done by cops with specialized training, not by forensic scientists, but there are exceptions.  In the western US, some labs rotate crime scene duties among the lab staff on a scheduled basis.  In other labs, if they do any crime scene at all it is done by a specialized crime scene team which does that job as a full-time specialty; this is the usual case in large state-run crime lab systems.  Most local labs don't do crime scenes at all except under extraordinary circumstances where their special knowledge is needed.  Properly trained police officers can handle most crime scene collection, allowing their agency's forensic scientists to concentrate on lab analysis.

                Good luck.

                Bob Parsons, F-ABC
                Forensic Chemist
                Regional Crime Laboratory
                at Indian River Community College
                Ft. Pierce, FL

                I am in college majoring in Biology and Criminal Justice.  I am
                trying to major in Forensics.  I would like to be a forensic
                scientist.  I would like to be one who collects evidence from the
                crime scene and analize it in the lab also.  The professors at the
                college that I am currently attending does not know what to tell me.
                Please help me.  I need to know if I am on the right track and what
                classes to take and who can I talk to about Forensic science.

                Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
                Call 1-800-555-TELL.
                http://click.egroups.com/1/9535/6/_/75397/_/970182117/

              • Vonlenn@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 24, 2004
                  Do you think you can find anything on the below:

                  the transcripts from the Jason Williams trial - there was a firearms
                  expert cover the kickback involved in discharging a shot gun.

                  I have tried and just don't get where I want to go...Thanks for any
                  information Josie

                • suesarkis@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 26, 2004
                    Since the expert in the Williams' matter, Richard Ernest, was totally refuted
                    during trial, that might not be the wisest way to go anyway.

                    Have a question folks. Does anyone have any idea what relationship this
                    group has with the NNY Tech? Our emails are archived on their website and show up
                    all over the Internet. So be it for anyone wanting to remain slightly
                    guarded.

                    Sincerely yours,
                    Sue
                    Sue Sarkis
                    Sarkis Detective Agency
                    (est. 1976)
                    PI 6564
                    1346 Ethel Street
                    Glendale, CA 91207-1826
                    818-242-2505
                    818-246-3001 FAX

                    God Bless America forever !!

                  • Robert Parsons
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 6, 2004
                      Sue,

                      There is no relationship that I know of, but this is a PUBLIC discussion
                      group. While only members can access the member list, files and photos
                      sections, etc., the message archives can be read by anyone who browses to
                      the group's home page.

                      Bob Parsons, F-ABC
                      Forensic Chemist
                      Indian River Crime Laboratory
                      Ft. Pierce, FL

                      Since the expert in the Williams' matter, Richard Ernest, was totally
                      refuted
                      during trial, that might not be the wisest way to go anyway.

                      Have a question folks. Does anyone have any idea what relationship this
                      group has with the NNY Tech? Our emails are archived on their website and
                      show up
                      all over the Internet. So be it for anyone wanting to remain slightly
                      guarded.

                      Sincerely yours,
                      Sue
                      Sue Sarkis
                      Sarkis Detective Agency
                      (est. 1976)
                      PI 6564
                      1346 Ethel Street
                      Glendale, CA 91207-1826
                      818-242-2505
                      818-246-3001 FAX

                      God Bless America forever !!

                      To subscribe send a blank e-mail to:
                      forensic-science-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes links
                      to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account settings.
                      Yahoo! Groups Links