Re: DNA

  • JSnyder149@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 30, 2003
      I'm writing a romantic suspense novel and have a question for our learned DNA
      experts. What's the absolute earliest you could receive DNA results, in a
      perfect world with no backload of cases? To rephrase, how long does the actual
      test take? Thanks much for your help! Jan Snyder

    • Revisions@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 7, 2005
        In a message dated 8/7/2005 8:59:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        forensic-science@yahoogroups.com writes:
        I don't expect it to do much good, but it kind of annoys me that he is so
        closed-minded about DNA testing

        >>>It seems to me that it's good to have gadflies and watchdogs, even if we
        dislike their position or degree of obsession. Even if they're partly or
        wholly in error. That's what keeps the field accountable. That's how junk science
        and fraudulence have been exposed. Such people at least make us take stock
        of our positions and think through our own logic and proof. After that, we can
        just ignore them, but I'm all for having those voices in our midst.

        KR

      • Satish.sekar@ntlworld.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 7, 2005
          Gadflies should be periodically swatted!!! However, watchdogs are a different matter!!!

          Best Wishes

          Satish

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 21, 2006
            DNA - is there a way to time date DNA and find out when or approximately
            when a stain was made that gave
            DNA evidence.

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 21, 2006
                Maybe on Star Trek.... but seriously...No!

                Ken

                <serita_stevens@...> wrote:

                > DNA - is there a way to time date DNA and find out when or
                approximately
                > when a stain was made that gave
                > DNA evidence.

              • Serita Stevens
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 21, 2006
                  No, the years aren't going to help. We have ID'd three different unknown
                  male and one unknown female DNA on the bedspread at the murder scene. I am
                  trying to find if there is a way we can prove these stains were left within
                  the time frame of the crime because the opposition can easily say that those
                  were there the month or year before and that would not help our case. None
                  of the DNA match the family.

                  <serita_stevens@...> wrote:

                  > DNA - is there a way to time date DNA and find out when or
                  approximately
                  > when a stain was made that gave
                  > DNA evidence.

                  com

                  From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes links
                  to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account settings.

                  Forensics study Forensics degree Computer forensics

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  Visit your group "forensic-science" on the web.

                • spartantroy
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 23, 2006
                    Do you know that the stains were deposited within a certain
                    timeframe? If so, then present the details that support your
                    conclusion. If not, then the 'opposition' would be right in
                    claiming that the stains could have been deposited outside the
                    timeframe. Instead of starting with a scenario and trying to use
                    the evidence to prove that the events happened in a particular way
                    that fits the prosecution's story, start with the evidence and see
                    what can be derived from it. If it tells part of, but not the
                    whole, story, it should be presented in that regard. Present the
                    truth and let the judge or jury decide if it surpasses 'reasonable
                    doubt'.

                    <serita_stevens@...> wrote:

                    > No, the years aren't going to help. We have ID'd three different
                    unknown
                    > male and one unknown female DNA on the bedspread at the murder
                    scene. I am
                    > trying to find if there is a way we can prove these stains were
                    left within
                    > the time frame of the crime because the opposition can easily say
                    that those
                    > were there the month or year before and that would not help our
                    case. None
                    > of the DNA match the family.

                    Service.

                  • Ken Howard
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 23, 2006
                      Does the DNA match the suspects? Is the murder scene the suspect's
                      or victim's residence? Given the stains do not come back to any of
                      the victim's... what is the relevance of the bloodstains?

                      Ken

                      --- In forensic-science@yahoogroups.com, "spartantroy" <ernstt@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Do you know that the stains were deposited within a certain
                      > timeframe? If so, then present the details that support your
                      > conclusion. If not, then the 'opposition' would be right in
                      > claiming that the stains could have been deposited outside the
                      > timeframe. Instead of starting with a scenario and trying to use
                      > the evidence to prove that the events happened in a particular way
                      > that fits the prosecution's story, start with the evidence and see
                      > what can be derived from it. If it tells part of, but not the
                      > whole, story, it should be presented in that regard. Present the
                      > truth and let the judge or jury decide if it surpasses 'reasonable
                      > doubt'.
                      >

                      > --- In forensic-science@yahoogroups.com, "Serita Stevens"
                      > <serita_stevens@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > No, the years aren't going to help. We have ID'd three different
                      > unknown
                      > > male and one unknown female DNA on the bedspread at the murder
                      > scene. I am
                      > > trying to find if there is a way we can prove these stains were
                      > left within
                      > > the time frame of the crime because the opposition can easily
                      say
                      > that those
                      > > were there the month or year before and that would not help our
                      > case. None
                      > > of the DNA match the family.

                      Forensics
                      > college
                      > > Forensics study Forensics degree Computer forensics
                      > >

                      > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      > >
                      > > Visit your group "forensic-science" on the web.

                      > Service.

                    • Serita Stevens
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 23, 2006
                        Importance is that plantiff c/o she was attacked by several strangers,who
                        killed her son and tortured her (yes she had numerous injuries that I doubt
                        are self inflicted); state(very tunnel vision and we suspect paid off) c/o
                        she was a murder/attempted suicide and that she did is on her own.

                        wrote:

                        > Do you know that the stains were deposited within a certain
                        > timeframe? If so, then present the details that support your
                        > conclusion. If not, then the 'opposition' would be right in
                        > claiming that the stains could have been deposited outside the
                        > timeframe. Instead of starting with a scenario and trying to use
                        > the evidence to prove that the events happened in a particular way
                        > that fits the prosecution's story, start with the evidence and see
                        > what can be derived from it. If it tells part of, but not the
                        > whole, story, it should be presented in that regard. Present the
                        > truth and let the judge or jury decide if it surpasses 'reasonable
                        > doubt'.
                        >

                        > --- In forensic-science@yahoogroups.com, "Serita Stevens"
                        > <serita_stevens@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > No, the years aren't going to help. We have ID'd three different
                        > unknown
                        > > male and one unknown female DNA on the bedspread at the murder
                        > scene. I am
                        > > trying to find if there is a way we can prove these stains were
                        > left within
                        > > the time frame of the crime because the opposition can easily
                        say
                        > that those
                        > > were there the month or year before and that would not help our
                        > case. None
                        > > of the DNA match the family.

                        Forensics
                        > college
                        > > Forensics study Forensics degree Computer forensics
                        > >

                        > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                        > >
                        > > Visit your group "forensic-science" on the web.

                        > Service.

                        com

                        From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes links
                        to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account settings.

                        Forensics study Forensics degree Computer forensics

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        Visit your group "forensic-science" on the web.

                      • dutraa
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 4, 2006
                          I have heard that there has been some research in using RNA for this
                          purpose, but I have not heard that any conclusive results have been
                          obtained. I don't think it would be very possible either way.

                          Adam Dutra
                          SDPD Crime Lab

                          <serita_stevens@...> wrote:

                          > DNA - is there a way to time date DNA and find out when or approximately
                          > when a stain was made that gave
                          > DNA evidence.

                        • Robert Parsons
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 9, 2006
                            Determining the "details" is exactly what she is asking for help in
                            accomplishing. She asked if anyone knew of a method to determine how old
                            the stains were. If a method exists to ascertain the age of the stains with
                            the requisite degrees of accuracy and precision, then the test would answer
                            the question of whether or not the stains were deposited within the time
                            frame of the crime - information of interest to both prosecution and defense
                            alike.

                            Unfortunately, I don't know of any such method for determining the age of
                            the stains.

                            Bob Parsons, F-ABC
                            Forensic Chemist
                            Indian River Crime Laboratory