Latent Prints and Digital Photography

  • wallylind <peowally@charter.net>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
      Perhaps a latent print examiner or photographer can answer this
      question. I can't get our new Canon D-60 to take as close a
      photograph of a latent print as our old Canon film camera. But I
      noted that when you import the digital immage of a latent print into
      a photo editing program, you can zoom in and get a fairly large
      picture of the print. Is that enlarged digital image distorted
      enough to preclude comparison or entry into and AFIS system?
    • Daryl W. Clemens
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
        As long as you include a ruler in the photo, there shouldn't be any problem.

        We've been using a Kodak digital camera attached to our MoreHits system for
        several years. The resolution is lower than your D-60, but still good
        enough.

        Our examiners routinely enlarge and enhance latent print images.

        Regards,

        Daryl W. Clemens

        forensic-science-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        > From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes
        links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account
        settings.

      • wallylind

          > Perhaps a latent print examiner or photographer can answer this
          > question. I can't get our new Canon D-60 to take as close a
          > photograph of a latent print as our old Canon film camera. But I
          > noted that when you import the digital immage of a latent print into
          > a photo editing program, you can zoom in and get a fairly large
          > picture of the print. Is that enlarged digital image distorted
          > enough to preclude comparison or entry into and AFIS system?
          >

          > To subscribe send a blank e-mail to:
          forensic-science-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes
          links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account
          settings.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account settings.