Has anyone noticed.....

  • jhpanther32
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24, 2002
      Did you ever notice as soon as certain TV shows, movies, books, or
      other things in popular culture become big everyone suddenly wants to
      do for a living what the characters do? Such as....the x files (fbi
      agents), John Douglas books (profiler), and now that CSI is popular
      suddenly any High School or college student thinks they can do what
      those people on tv are doing when in fact the Tv show is not at all
      what it is really like. The real problem is most of the people who
      suddenly think they can achieve these lines of work have no idea what
      it takes to get there. Especially the amount of work in college and
      grad school not to mention the amount of training after college. I
      have seen countless people marching down to their community college
      thinking they can take a few CJ and chem courses and suddenly they
      will be an FBI agent, or CIA, or DEA, or crime scene investigator.
      These people either need to wake up or be properly instructed by some
      sort of advisor. Rather than rushing into something that is way over
      their heads. I dont know for a fact but I will bet money that even
      the number of members in this group has shot up significantly in the
      past year. Is this just me or has anyone else seen this trend lately?
    • cari4n6
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        AGREED!!!
        I remember, on one program, when the crime lab was going to perform a sexual assault exam on a living, unconscious patient. The tech was in the room without any equipment, that we really use, and was going to collect for DNA. Then she took the speculum (metal) and blew on it to warm it up!!!!!
        I got 3 calls the next day to inquire about forensic nursing.
        I know they have consultants but the value of the show script overshadows the truth in what we do.
        CSI is such a good example. How many of you forensic scientists have gone out and arrested anyone???
        Cari

        Cari Caruso RN FNE
        Forensic Nurse Examiner
        Southern California Regional Representative of the
        International Association of Forensic Nurses
        Clinical Forensic Coordinator:
        Sexual Assault Response Team
        Domestic Assault Response Team
        San Gabriel Valley Medical Center
        cari4n6@...
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account settings.

      • cbecnel@dps.state.la.us
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          I don't think this phenomenon is localized at all. Across the board I hear,
          and have experienced, it is the norm.

          I thought I was unique for being hooked on the profession after devouring
          the novels of Sherlock Holmes, the Hardy Boys, and the like. The series
          Quincy didn't hurt either. I guess I was the product of a different venue,
          and age.

          I admit I am guilty of propagating the myth. I get asked the CSI question
          so often, "Do you do the things like on CSI?", that I find it easier and
          less time consuming to just say "Yes, that is what I do." However, I think
          it is important to educate the few we all run across that are truly
          interested in the field, or at least think they are, as to the true nature
          of it. Educational requirements are a big issue, as well as realistic job
          functions and duties.

          Now, who gets the question from Detectives, and Crime Scene personnel -
          "What do you mean? I saw them do that on CSI last week!!!"

          Have a good weekend everyone.

          Adam Becnel
          Louisiana Sate Police Crime Lab
          376 East Airport Road
          Baton Rouge, LA 70806
          (225) 925-6216
          cbecnel@...

          "cari4n6" <cari4n6@...> on 03/01/2002 12:24:41 PM

          Please respond to forensic-science@yahoogroups.com

          To: <forensic-science@yahoogroups.com>
          cc:

          Subject: Re: [forensic-science] Has anyone noticed.....

[...]

          To subscribe send a blank e-mail to:
          forensic-science-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes
          links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account
          settings.

          To subscribe send a blank e-mail to:
          forensic-science-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes
          links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account
          settings.

        • Jocelyn Moffett
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
            Well,

            I am a high school student in Canada, and I decided to
            join this group recently because of a OAC Chemistry
            project that I have to do. I am sorry if my joining
            this group has offended anyone. I wouldn't want
            anyone to think that people are treating this as a pop
            culture joke. I do intend to take this project
            seriously, but don't worry, I want to be a teacher,
            not an FBI agent.
            --- jhpanther32 <jhpanther32@...> wrote:
            > Did you ever notice as soon as certain TV shows,
            > movies, books, or
            > other things in popular culture become big everyone
            > suddenly wants to
            > do for a living what the characters do? Such
            > as....the x files (fbi
            > agents), John Douglas books (profiler), and now that
            > CSI is popular
            > suddenly any High School or college student thinks
            > they can do what
            > those people on tv are doing when in fact the Tv
            > show is not at all
            > what it is really like. The real problem is most of
            > the people who
            > suddenly think they can achieve these lines of work
            > have no idea what
            > it takes to get there. Especially the amount of
            > work in college and
            > grad school not to mention the amount of training
            > after college. I
            > have seen countless people marching down to their
            > community college
            > thinking they can take a few CJ and chem courses and
            > suddenly they
            > will be an FBI agent, or CIA, or DEA, or crime scene
            > investigator.
            > These people either need to wake up or be properly
            > instructed by some
            > sort of advisor. Rather than rushing into something
            > that is way over
            > their heads. I dont know for a fact but I will bet
            > money that even
            > the number of members in this group has shot up
            > significantly in the
            > past year. Is this just me or has anyone else seen
            > this trend lately?

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • Robert Parsons
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
              Absolutely right on. CSI may be fun entertainment, but as far as forensic
              science accuracy is concerned it's absolute trash, as was Quincy, Murder She
              Wrote, and all of the other fictional shows touching on forensic science.
              The saddest thing is, the so-called "reality" or "documentary" forensic
              science shows often are not much better.

              Bob Parsons, F-ABC
              Forensic Chemist
              Regional Crime Laboratory
              at Indian River Community College
              Ft. Pierce, FL

[...]

              From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes
              links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account
              settings.

              To subscribe send a blank e-mail to:
              forensic-science-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes links
              to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account settings.

            • miri
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                Bob,

                Hello. i've been lurking here for a couple months as i've
                always been completely fascinated with forensic science. i
                grew up watching Quincy and was hooked. now i know Quincy
                was pure fiction as well as the rest of tv shows. my
                question is about the "documentary" shows such as those on
                TLC, Discovery or A&E - how off base are they? which are
                the worst? are any close to reality?

                Thanks for your time...miri
                ===========================

              • texascowgrl4u@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                  I agree I'm also a high school student in Texas and I joined not from the new
                  tv shows like CSI. My reason for interest was from a research project I did
                  in 7th grade. I'm now a junior and my interest has grown more for this field.
                  I do admit I watch the tv shows and read books that deal with forensics but
                  I'm also aware that both are not anywhere close to being related to the
                  actual work that takes place.
                  Tamara
                • princessrinirini@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                    I am just like Tamara. I am 17 years old and I'm a junior. I am highly
                    fascinated with forensics and I as well know that there is more involved then
                    what the TV shows let you see. I joined the group to kind of get a feel of
                    what its like to be a real forensic scientists of sorts, and see how you
                    people feel about your occupations. I haven't seen too much on that, but
                    I've also gotten a good laugh at the whole " Polite-Police " incident. I
                    would agree though, that there are some who are joining forensics because of
                    what they see on TV. But as someone said before, I hope no one will get
                    angry that I joined. I'm just looking to see if this is the proper career
                    choice for me.

                    - Evie
                  • sagicorn84
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                      Jhpanther32:

                      I agree whole-heartedly with what you just said about the accuracy of
                      such television programs. However, I do not think the comment about
                      every high school and college student suddenly thinking he or she can
                      enter this field with one or two courses under his or her belt to be
                      fair in the least.
                      I am a high school junior who has wanted to be a forensic scientist
                      since sixth grade. Granted, I have abandoned forensic anthropology
                      for DNA analysis, but I still expect to have to work hard to get
                      there and would, even now, shun a program promising to train me to
                      become a forensic scientist with just a handful of courses. I expect
                      only years of training and experience to do that.
                      I only ask that you realize the next generation of scientists is not
                      stupid. We realize the amount of work that waits for us in our
                      future.

                      Natalie

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 5, 2002
                        Well, the documentaries try to get it right, but they're handicapped by not
                        having forensic science advisors on staff. Usually, they have "consultants"
                        that they occasionally call and ask questions of, but the writers and
                        producers often don't know enough about the science involved to recognize
                        all the questions that need to be asked or when they need to ask them - so
                        they often get it wrong. They also tend to cut corners to save money, to
                        fit the explanation into the time available, or to "spice up" a dry subject.
                        I wouldn't try to compare them now because I haven't watched them in a
                        while, so it wouldn't be a fair judgment. I stopped watching all those
                        shows because they always irritated me by having at least one major error
                        and usually several minor errors in each episode I saw. What they really
                        need is an experienced forensic scientist on staff who reads every script
                        before the narration is recorded and views every show before broadcast, to
                        point out their science errors and get them corrected. I doubt any have
                        that kind of in-depth help, unfortunately.

                        You can learn a lot by watching these shows and some are fairly well done,
                        but take it all with a grain of salt - recognize that the shows are produced
                        by telejournalists, not by forensic scientists, so expect there to be errors
                        in their explanations of the science. In other words, just because they say
                        it's so doesn't mean it necessarily IS so. Even when they make no factual
                        errors, it's usually a lot more complicated and less cut and dried then they
                        lead you to believe. So watch and enjoy, but don't take it as gospel.

                        Robert Parsons wrote:

                        > Absolutely right on. CSI may be fun entertainment,
                        > but as far as forensic science accuracy is concerned
                        > it's absolute trash, as was Quincy, Murder She Wrote,
                        > and all of the other fictional shows touching on
                        > forensic science. The saddest thing is, the so-called
                        > "reality" or "documentary" forensic science shows
                        > often are not much better.

                        To subscribe send a blank e-mail to:
                        forensic-science-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                        From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes links

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 5, 2002
                          All are welcome here, Evie, no one minds that you joined. We just want
                          people to have realistic expectations if they want to pursue this
                          profession. What we do is very important and can be very rewarding, and we
                          take great pride in it, but it's not what you see on TV, not even remotely.
                          The excitement (interest would be a better word) is intellectual, not
                          physical. We don't do the "cop stuff" they do on CSI and other fictional
                          shows, and it's not the pristine, sterile lab work you see on the
                          documentary shows either. It's usually very routine and repetitive work; it
                          often is very grim, very nasty work that can be emotionally difficult; and
                          it is always completely non-glamorous. There's no fame, riches or glory -
                          you get your satisfaction from simply knowing that you're helping to make
                          society a safer place, and helping justice to be done.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 5, 2002
                            Here's an example:
                            Description of the "New Detectives," TV show. . .
                            "Forensic detectives analyze blood for evidence."

                            Robert Parsons wrote:

                            > Absolutely right on. CSI may be fun entertainment,
                            > but as far as forensic science accuracy is concerned
                            > it's absolute trash, as was Quincy, Murder She Wrote,
                            > and all of the other fictional shows touching on
                            > forensic science. The saddest thing is, the so-called
                            > "reality" or "documentary" forensic science shows
                            > often are not much better.

                            To subscribe send a blank e-mail to:
                            forensic-science-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                            From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes links
                            to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account settings.

                            From the home page you can search the list archives. It also includes links to forensic science sites and allows you to modify your account settings.