Re: [forensic-science] BLOOD FLOW AFTER THE HEART STOPS BEATING

  • Daniel Rocco-Rusk
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2011
      Probably...depending on how you define "flow."

      Daniel Rocco-RuskNewDeath/O/ Investigative Newsgroup

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
        In general, of course it will stop. Blood doesn't move by itself, it is moved by the heart muscle. Once the heart stops, there is nothing in the body to move the blood toward the wound. However, if the wound is lower than the rest of the body (for example, on an arm hanging below the edge of the surface the body is lying on), then blood may drain out of that portion of the body through the wound simply due to gravity. If the entire body is level, then all you would see after the heart stops is a slight trickle or oozing of blood from the immediately surrounding tissue, and that would stop eventually as well.

        Bob Parsons, F-ABC
        Forensic Chemist
        Indian River Crime Laboratory
        Ft. Pierce, FL
        "The forensic scientist's goal is the evenhanded use of all available information to determine the facts and, subsequently, the truth."

        American Academy of Forensic Sciences web site, Choosing a Career page

        "If the law has made you a witness, remain a man of science. You have no victim to avenge, no guilty or innocent person to convict or to save - you must bear testimony within the limits of science."

        Dr. P.C.H. Brouardel, 19th Century French Medico-legalist

      • T Turney
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
          I¹d define blood moved by the heart as ³pressurized flow² and after it stops
          I¹d call it ³gravitational drain². Although, there probably is a fancier
          name for it.

          Ted Turney
          Turney Attorney Service Lic# B2010000340
          RPS #1501- San Diego County
          Ph 619.248.6875
          Fax 619.697.4868
          tturney@...