Hands on Courses in CSI

  • tory.martinez85
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3 11:00 AM
      I would like to take courses in CSI. Where do they offer ? Not a full time program, not online but like a week long or weekend classes from reputed places in DNA Analysis, Fingerprinting, Document Analysis, just like various things they show on CSI show. Also, how difficult would it be to get a job in a CSI if I master these techniques on my own? I do have a bachelors degree in science.
    • Bob Parsons
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3 1:57 PM
        I am sorry to disappoint you, but CSI is pure fiction (often ludicrously
        so), and does not even remotely resemble reality. No one does the
        things they do on CSI. That ridiculous show combines the jobs of five
        or six different people into one, and much of what you see them do is
        impossible. CSIs collect evidence, they don't analyze it (they're not
        scientists); evidence is analyzed in laboratories by scientists (with
        college degrees in the appropriate science), and each scientist
        specializes in a few specific types of related analyses, not a wide
        variety of different ones; investigation of the crime (interviewing
        witnesses and suspects, making arrests, etc.) is done by detectives, not
        by CSIs or forensic scientists. There is no such job where one person
        does all three.

        As for the specific disciplines you asked about, you can't learn any of
        them in short courses, nor can you "master them yourself" - they all
        require a high degree of expertise which in turn requires years of
        intense study and expert instruction. To become a document examiner, for
        example, requires two to three years of full-time apprenticeship under
        an experienced examiner. To learn fingerprint analysis requires 1-2
        years of formal training and apprenticeship. To qualify for either of
        these apprenticeships, a college degree is strongly preferred,
        preferably in a natural or physical science. To become a DNA analyst
        requires at minimum a Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry or
        biology, with additional graduate-level courses in genetics required,
        and a Master of Science Degree is preferred. In fact, most jobs in
        forensic science today, regardless of specialty, require a Bachelor's
        degree in a natural or physical science; but even with a science degree,
        your employer will require you to complete an on-the-job training
        program that will last a year or more before you will be allowed to work
        cases.

        If you would like to learn about what is needed for some of the various
        types of forensic science jobs, visit here:

        http://www.aafs.org/default.asp?section_id=resources&page_id=choosing_a_
        career

        If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

        Bob Parsons, F-ABC
        Forensic Chemist
        Indian River Crime Laboratory
        Ft. Pierce, FL
        "The forensic scientist's goal is the evenhanded use of all available
        information to determine the facts and, subsequently, the truth."
        American Academy of Forensic Sciences web site, Choosing a Career page

        "If the law has made you a witness, remain a man of science. You have no
        victim to avenge, no guilty or innocent person to convict or to save -
        you must bear testimony within the limits of science."
        Dr. P.C.H. Brouardel, 19th Century French Medico-legalist

        I would like to take courses in CSI. Where do they offer ? Not a full
        time program, not online but like a week long or weekend classes from
        reputed places in DNA Analysis, Fingerprinting, Document Analysis, just
        like various things they show on CSI show. Also, how difficult would it
        be to get a job in a CSI if I master these techniques on my own? I do
        have a bachelors degree in science.

      • Brent Turvey
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3 2:22 PM
          Bob;

          I remember being yelled at very loudly when I expressed these exact same sentiments back in 2003-2005.

          In any case, I couldn't agree more. Well said.

          Brent

        • Tory Martinez
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3 5:47 PM
            Understood. Still would like to look into the courses if they are offered?

            ________________________________
            I would like to take courses in CSI. Where do they offer ? Not a full time program, not online but like a week long or weekend classes from reputed places in DNA Analysis, Fingerprinting, Document Analysis, just like various things they show on CSI show. Also, how difficult would it be to get a job in a CSI if I master these techniques on my own? I do have a bachelors degree in science.

          • yccastro
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4 7:34 AM
              I would have to agree with Bob. We get a lot of young people calling our laboratory asking the same questions, and I always give them similar responses. We are nothing like CSI!!!!!

              Yanet Gattorno
              Forensic Chemist
              Broward Sheriff's Office-Crime Lab

              --- In forensic-science@yahoogroups.com, Brent Turvey <bturvey@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > Ft. Pierce, FL
              > "The forensic scientist's goal is the evenhanded use of all available
              > information to determine the facts and, subsequently, the truth."
              > American Academy of Forensic Sciences web site, Choosing a Career page
              >
              > "If the law has made you a witness, remain a man of science. You have no
              > victim to avenge, no guilty or innocent person to convict or to save -
              > you must bear testimony within the limits of science."
              > Dr. P.C.H. Brouardel, 19th Century French Medico-legalist
              >
              > I would like to take courses in CSI. Where do they offer ? Not a full
              > time program, not online but like a week long or weekend classes from
              > reputed places in DNA Analysis, Fingerprinting, Document Analysis, just
              > like various things they show on CSI show. Also, how difficult would it
              > be to get a job in a CSI if I master these techniques on my own? I do

            • Jerry Godsey
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4 10:10 AM
                Also, many of the courses that are two or three week trainings are for law
                enforcement personnel only.
                My agency send new Identification Technicians to Cal State Long Beach's
                Field Evidence Technician training as a first step. It is a two week course
                aimed at helping develop field techs. You may want to see if they take
                people off the street, but I doubt it.

                Until The Whole World Hears,
                Jerry Godsey
                www.remnantchurchonline.com