RE: [forensic-science] Swirl pattern on teeth...

  • Suilven
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010
      Hi, try reading whatever BM magazines you can get hold of locally, or try
      http://www.bme.com for some examples of teeth modification.

      I have reviewed cases where the bodies at post mortem (aka autopsy!) showed
      filed and striated teeth produced by dental work; these usually go along
      with multiple piercings and tattoos, as you would expect. In your
      circumstances its likely she was identified (just as one would for any Jane
      Doe by her tattoos) by asking around at tattoo parlours etc; Teeth
      modification is unusual and would be remembered by local aficionados, and
      would also be pretty visible to anyone she spoke to of course! Or maybe by
      police records, although one might expect fingerprints from the dermis even
      if she was in poor condition (depends on the temperature of the 'hot pool'
      and time of immersion what her condition was).

      So I think its likely the swirls were BM rather than some obscure Oregonian
      enamel defect, and the solution was simple. But I am not a Dentist...

      Dave Barclay BSc. MSc., Forensic Consultant

      Senior lecturer Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen.

      Hon Professor University of Hull

      mobile (0044)7808900818

      business (0044)1445731620